Anything natural to take for sinuses?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Aug 19, 2006.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I have bad sinus problems and I also have high blood pressure. It seems there is nothing for me to take. Anyone know a good natural supplement for this?
  2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

for replies. I want to know also.

Linda
  3. achy

achy New Member

My ENT INSISTED I would need sinus surgery. He suggested sinus rinses between appointments....and it cleared my chronic sinusitus, no surgery needed. The ENT was amazed!!

Any drugstore or wally world has sinus rinse kits. A bottle wiht squirt top, you mix a solution of baking soda and salt in the bottle and squirt it up your nose. It feels weird at first, but after a few days I actually become addicted to it. If I miss a day I can really tell a difference!!

Do it at least once, preferrably 2X day. in AM and before bed.

Good luck
    achy
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I was suffering with bouts of dizziness for weeks and finally read here about sinuses causing dizziness sometimes, came home and squirted the saline and the dizziness was gone the next day.

I also make sure I breathe deeply through my nose in the shower to steam my sinuses. Works for me. I have had one sinus infection in my life and it took 3 weeks of antibiotics to clear up and it hurt worse than anything I can remember having.

I NEVER want to have another if I can help it!

Sonya
  5. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

Cjcookie,

Oil of oregano is excellent for treating sinus infections. It can be taken orally in drop or capsule form. It is effective for killing infections.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Try salt water nasal baths. They work really well. I also use nasalcrom when it is muggy and polleny.

My mom used to carry a smelling salts bottle(sal volatale) that worked wonders.

Love Anne Cromwell
  7. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

cjcookie--

Another suggestion is Colloidal Silver. I use a dropper or a tint bottle.

Love and Hugs,

AbbeyMae
  8. tansy

tansy New Member

work best for me. I only use the WOO when needed, which isn't often these days; it works for bacterial and fungal/yeast infections. Research at the Mayo has implicated an immune response to low grade fungal infections as being present in a high % with chronic sinusistis.

TC, Tansy
  9. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Yes, that's right, humming, as in humming along with a tune. The process of humming raises the levels of nitric oxide in the sinuses which acts as an antimicrobial. I'm in the process of trying it out this fall, since I am always bothered with allergies and infections that create a vicious cycle for me. Google this and see what you think, Diane
  10. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

As for the Eucolyptus (sp?), I'm allergic to it anyway. I'll try all the others. I also just read about the humming thing in a magazine a couple of days ago. Interesting.
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

Do you have bad allergies too?

I find that if I am out all day, weeding, or dusting, I rinse my nose with a Saline Nasal Rinse and it prevents some of my sinus headaches
  12. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I do two things: First, I take a homeopathic put out by Boiron called Sinusalia. That usually does the trick within 5 - 10 minutes.

If it continues, you can take more as needed. I also will put spot magnets on the "sore spots" (usually right next to my nose), and that opens things up.

LIGHT***********carole
  13. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Cookie,
    I use a Netti Pot. I got it at the health food store, and it really helps.

I also take the Allergy formula put out by BioEnergetics.It is homeopathic. I have high blood pressure, too, and it doesn't affect mine.

BioEnergetice must be bought either from a holistic practitioner, or from the company directly. It is not found in stores.

Good luck,
    Terry
  14. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Ocean Nasal Spray is saline that is good for all natural irrigation.

You can still take products with antihistamines, like chlorpheniramine maleate, loratidine, or benadryl (diphenhydramine hcl). You can take an expectorant like guaifenesin or a cough suppresant like dextromethorphan.

It's the decongestant, pseudoephedrine, that you need to avoid with high blood pressure.

I use Flonase nasal spray once a day at night, and the Ocean spray in the mornings. And I take 1 10 mg loratidine tablet daily from May to October.

My MIL and FIL swear by their alfalfa tablets, but you have to eat a handfull of them three times a day (too much for me). Many others swear by bee pollen capsules on the anti-allergen theory that a little bit of what ails you will desensitize you larger amounts of the same thing.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  15. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

I was just wondering about this topic b/c my sinuses bug me. Now I'm gonna try all these wonderful suggestions:)

Keep you posted.
    Kelli
  16. Line

Line New Member

I had read about this but have not started doing it, I have chronic allergies. my husband has severe sinus problems. Buy honey that is locally made in your area and use a tablespoon per day in tea or however you want. my husband has been doing this for months and his sinuses are 90% improved.

I am going to start this also because my allergies are getting bad again. The honey has to be local to your area due to the pollens the bees are taking out of the flowers etc in your area.

My husband swears it is helping him. He is not complaing about headaches or does he have the PND

Hugs, Linda
  17. Abednego

Abednego New Member

Hi--I'm 55 and have had for most of my life a tendency to have numerous colds, sinus infections, and allergic inflammations. I used to get six to eight colds and sinus infections per year.
    I have now reached three years since my last sinus infection or cold. Here's what I did (and these techniques have also worked for the rest of my family):

1.) Attempting to improve my arthritis, I went off dairy products, along with my wife and kids. No help for my arthritis, but we all dropped down to the level of two or three sinus infections/colds per year, immediately! This was five years ago. We all got sick of not eating cheese, so we started eating cheese and yogurt again--healthy organic kinds when possible--but kept on avoiding milk products that are not microbially digested; we still use only soymilk. We kept the sinus benefits!!

2.) Again trying to help my arthritis, I started drinking Apple Cider Vinegar cocktails twice a day, or more if I want(about two tablespoons--some use less--of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water or fruit juice with some honey). This is an old folk remedy. It did nothing for my arthritis, but since the day I started drinking it three years ago I have not had another cold or sinus infection. When I flew to Hawaii for a wedding immediately after I started drinking ACV, the air on the plane did me in (and a few others--one other guest caught pneumonia). I woke up in the hotel spitting blood and feeling like a wire bottle brush was rammed up my nose. Bound and determined not to miss my niece's wedding and reception at the Halekulani, I started drinking an ACV cocktail every thirty minutes. It was a little bit rough on the stomach for a while, but by the time of the wedding eight hours later, I was shaky but fine,with no trace of sinus problems, and by midnite I was walking down Waikiki Beach in my tux feeling like a million bucks with a stomach full of Chinese wedding food; the rest of the trip was great. The book that I read which recommended vinegar for arthritis did promise that, taken regularly, apple cider vinegar also prevents colds and sinus infections and firms and tones the gums. Well, the last two are definitely true. My gums are in much better shape as well.

I honestly believe that if you give up milk products except cheese and yogurt, and drink at least one good ACV cocktail per day, preferably two, that you will notice improvement. Many other people use these methods successfully--look up "ACV Cocktail" on the Internet and you'll see what I mean.

--Another tip: If you use fabric softener, especially those paper sheets, cut it out without delay. People can use other things to soften their clothes--white vinegar and baking soda both work, as does borax and a number of other things. The particles that impregnate those sheets are horrible for your sinuses and lungs and I can't get near the stuff without sneezing my head off. I use a good detergent from the health food store or Trader Joe's and avoid the brand-name stuff full of exotic chemicals--if you wash your pillowcases in something gentle you'll notice the difference.

One more thing, which I overheard a chiropractor telling someone in a cafe and it has worked for me for years--I almost always use a vaporizer next to my bed, and I put several tablespoons of WHITE vinegar (apple cider vinegar stinks in a vaporizer and gooks it up)in with the water each night. If I go to bed with my throat beginning to get sore--I used to get a lot of sore throats--or my sinuses drying out, the steam with the vinegar gets me back to normal by the time I wake up, EVERY SINGLE TIME, often within the same hour I go to bed. It's almost miraculous, it works so well. Now I always travel with a small vaporizer, since so many motel rooms are perpetually redolent of too much chemical rug cleaner and air spray, and I used to get sick on vacations as a consequence; I have not had any problems on vacation since I began taking my vaporizer and two kinds of vinegar with me.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2006]
  18. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Definitely! Sinus irrigation. Very messy and you don't want an audience but it's excellent done regularly, at least once or twice a day for the duration. It's cheap too because you make your own mix using water, salt and baking soda. Some recipes don't even add the baking soda. I asked the pharmacist for a bulb syringe - free - and it works well. I use boiled, sterilized water cooled to body temperature.

You can get good instructions by doing a search on the Web.

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2006]
  19. kaymac

kaymac New Member

Sinus irrigations work great when you are having first signs of trouble. I've got Allergic Fungal Sinusitus and cannot live without irrigating (using salt and soda). And as others said "you don't need an audience", it's not pretty! My family runs away when I irrigate!

The other posts are great too, some on prevenative measures! I'll take those to heart. But if you are in trouble, the irrigating is cheap, easy and it does become addictive! You'll always want to keep doing it!

kaymac
  20. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

This nasal spray is natural and recommended by my Integrative DO doctor. It contains saline, xylitol and grapefruit seed extract. I found it in the Immune Support Catelog.

Helps my sinus problems along with Zicam Spray (found that at Walgreens). It's homeopathic.

T