Anyway "tricks" to lessen the blow of a CRASH?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by leomonkey, Feb 2, 2006.

1. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

Daily living is tough but nothing compared to a crash. I have tried many things with no success. Perhaps someone has something that I haven't tried. It would make living so much more bearable if I could reduce symptoms during this time.

The main symptoms is migraine-like headache, extreme nausea and being unable to sleep.

Any tips?
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

it may seem obvious to you, but are you pacing yourself & resting enough to try to prevent the activity/crash/activity/crash cycles?

Having said that, of course we all crash & resting through it is the only way I know to cope with it. Hope someone else has a better idea. lots of love
  3. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

I have tried pacing, even what I call "forced relaxation" where I have tried to avoid taxing myself in anyway. Seems impossible to avoid a crash. Albeit I have gone from a few/week to once/week.

Thanks for the post anyway. I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask ;)
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

When that happens, the best thing to do is rest and decrease stress. You just have to make yourself the priority. If you have good pain meds, take them and drink lots of water.

Best of Luck
    Kathy.
  5. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Well I seem to know more about what doesn't work than what does work.:) I have found that the older I get the less I heal from crashing. My life is one big crash :-(
    Good luck adding + to your list of helps.
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

not sure what you're already taking, but i've become a big believer in adding large doses of vitamin c to the diet. i take 2.5 mg powdered, non-acidic C 4 times a day (10 grams total). an added benefit that i didn't realize until i started spacing out my doses throughout the day is that my bowels move more faithfully and with less difficulty; taking it all once can cause diarrhea besides the fact that your body will excrete most of it. in fact, i've begun spacing out all my vitamins now to keep my blood serum levels up. in any case, i only mention it because i'm in the middle of a big crash myself and since immunity seems to run low during these crash periods, vitamin c is a sensible thing to add that may help you bounce back faster.

feel better,
    eddie

you might try ginger tea for the nausea (yogi tea makes a yummy raspberry ginger).
  7. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

The vitamin is an interesting thing... I have constipation that the vitamin C has helped with... I actually started taking it to help with my adrenals and found that it helped "move things out" ;)

I will try the ginger tea. Even a little bit of relief would be a good thing!
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

What are you doing during your "forced relaxation". If you are sitting up and using your eyes, it is not sufficiently restful. For people with CFS, resting means lying down and closing the eyes.

Chamomile tea might help with both nausea and sleeplessness.
  9. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

When I am REALLY sick (I am housebound and lie down most of the day already) here's what I do.

I get a thick book and lie down all day with it in a sunny room. It has to be a novel I can really get into, like a fantasy book, one that has a positive theme and is not too violent. Then my mind is taken off what I am feeling, and my body is still. Absolute quiet, no people contact, no demands on me all day. Eating only a little and drinking lots of water helps during these times too.

I have to do this for about a week usually. After that I am able to do my usual activities - watching TV, eating more, talking to my family.

About preventing a crash... Some people schedule a time of day to lie down (eyes closed people!) for 20 minutes or so. Improves stamina and reduces stress. You could use the time for meditating too, focusing on your breathing, or using a relaxation tape.

I'm sorry you are crashing. (((( )))) Your symptoms sound excruciating.
    (((gentle hugs))) Shannon
  10. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

Forced relaxation would probably be closest to complete surrender. So, whether there is energy available for use or not, I would be lying down, not engaging in anything... a light meditative state.

Thanks for the tea suggestion.
  11. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

Thanks for the hugs Shannon... I will save them for my next crash ;)

Perhaps I am seeking a bit of magic rather than a tip I think!
  12. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I can be do nothing and bam there it is.Or like these last few days I have been back in the gym and nothing.I did notice some aching in my wrists so I put on my braces fo awhile and that helped.I have been taking a muscle relaxer more often at night.Just a week ago I was dying in pain and I just couldn't figure out what I did to set me off this way.All I do know is that sleep ,good sleep helps me.

Call dr. and see about something you can take for sleep.I am gonna give this nre med. Lunesta a try.SOmewhere here may know of a more natural way to sleep hope they can help you out.

Try and get some sleep Hon,
    Sheila
  13. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

I will check out the article...

Often little tidbits of information have turned out to be rather profound!