Appartment life killing me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by minkanyrose, Jan 1, 2007.

1. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I don't know how much longer I can handle this noise of appartment life. I am awaken at all hours of the night with shutting doors and kids running up and down stairs.(TEENS)

I am stressed out most of the time and wore out. Due to domestic violence I hear ever little noise expecially shutting doors because I used to listen for him to come home.

I hear walking on the floors and stereos from other appartments and I get so tired from trying to block out the noises.

I am here because it is a section 8 approved apartment complex and can't afford any thing else. I don't know where to check to see if I can qualify for a home of my own and how will I ever afford it. I feel hopelessly stuck here with the added stress and lack of sleep, with no where else to go.

any help or sugestions are greatly appreciated. thank you for letting me vent and for your help.

brenda
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Brenda,
    How hard that must be on you! My best friend is on section 8 and she is trying to find a tiny cottage. I don't know if you are in the middle of a big city or not, but there might be some tiny cottages, or what used to be called "in-law" cottages, available. Here in California, a person can move if they need to. You could ask your Dr. to write a note and that should help , if you need to get approval from your state.

Good luck, I wish there were somethng I cold do.
    Hugs,
    Terry.
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I sleep so lightly, the only way I can is with ear plugs. Otherwise, the noise of my animals getting up and walking around and eating wakes me up. If you have a latex problem, try to find some made of different material - someone advised me about that once. I use the spongy ones you roll between your fingers and then stick them in and they expand. They really do the trick.

Although, they didn't help much Dec 31 at night with all the nuts who are in my neighborhood right now. They stopped the fireworks at 12:30 am, got drunker, and resumed at 4:30 am.

But LAST night they worked, as usual.

karen
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Benda:

I agree about the ear plugs. I use the soft ones instead of plastic. And they last quite a while.

I hope that helps.

nyrofan
  5. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Mirrors make a small room feel bigger.
    Wall murals help with feeling like you're somewhere else.
    Brighter lights help with SAD (Seasonally Acquired Depression)
    White noise (HEPA air filter, fan) drowned out other noises. When I wear earplugs, my tinnitis ringing drives me batty.
  6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

you can call around to find out about different programs in your area i know local banks will know of them and willalso help you get a home the only other thing i can tell you to do is see if you can get a apt on the top floor they seem to be less noisy charlene
  7. sascha

sascha Member

a sort of cocoon, where outside invaders, in this case, noise, don't intrude too much; that would give you the psychic sense of having your own space while not being at the mercy of other people's lives.

like running a fan close to your bed. or finding a radio station that plays music you like all night, and keeping that close by. such methods might shield you enough for you to rest.

stores sell CDs of ocean waves, sounds of nature, that sort of thing.

one night when i couldn't sleep, i put on an all-night sports talk station. i had absolutely no interest in anything they were talking about since it wasn't baseball season, so i could fall asleep with the comforting murmur of low voices in the backgound. and if the source of sound is right close to you, i think that helps to block out outside sounds.

i hope you will experiment and find something that works to protect you. post back with what you find, Brenda! best, sascha
  8. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I had a similar problem, very hard to deal with. A white noise machine helped a bit. Trying looking for one online. Also, I'm not sure how your type of appartment complex is managed, but is there no system for making complaints? People aren't usually supposed to make noise after a certain hour. Please don't be afraid to complain to your neighbours or to management. You have the RIGHT to be able to sleep at night. You may be a bit sensitive, but the neighbours have to respect you as well.
    Good luck!
  9. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

going to try the ear plugs and fan to see if that works and am going to ask my neighbors to try to keep it down a little will let you know what works.
  10. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I'm in a large section 8 apartment complex too. The place is old and you hear everything. Wood floors in all aparements too.

In a apartment living, there is going to be noise. There is just no getting around that, and I understand people have different lifestyles and they have to live their lives too.What we do is have fans in the windows (window fans) that create white noise. That helps a lot.

We have to move however, as the fighting, drugs and cigarette smoke in our complex is making me sick.

There are homes with section 8. I would go to your county affordable housing counselor and tell them your situation.
  11. California31

California31 New Member

What state, city are you in? The post that suggested disabled, elderly is a good suggestion. Maybe you can consider that...PTSD...FM.....CFS....often can quailify as disabled. Good luck to you. Noise causes so much stress...I've had to continually ask my new neighbor, who is also the new manager....to turn the music down...it's not the volume...it's the bass booming through the walls...

12. LindaW

LindaW New Member

I read your post and could really understand what you are feeling-we moved from So. Ca. where we lived in a townhouse(three units)it was so expensive the mortgage was ridiculous. Well the middle unit was sold to a young guy who couldn't afford the mortgage alone so just had revolving roommates. What a nightmare. Friday night was the beginning of party time. At first I would ask them to please lower the noise, they never did, I called the police that didn't work. We were able to move to the East Coast, and now live in a beautiful area close to the ocean in a home surrounded by beautiful evergreens. (we could never have this type of home in So Ca. ) The piece and quiet is wonderful-and I love the birds, and trees. I think it is the lack of consideration some people have. This young person told me we are young and want to have fun! Can you remember when you were young?(I was 40 at the time)I wish you the best I really do.
    lw
  13. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I put a fan on at night (medium speed) works like a charm. Don't hear any noise and I find the sound relaxing.

Cindy