Appendicitis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marilynb, Jun 13, 2006.

1. marilynb

marilynb New Member

Has anyone ever had appendicitis? I have been sick all day.

After a nap this morning I woke up with a sore stomach. It hurts more on the right side, but hurts some on the left, as well. It's right below the belly button area.

I am constipated & took something this morning, so I don't know if thats what it is or not. I just want to sleep, but my stomach hurts. Should I worry, or do you think it's just the constipation? I did go to the bathroom a couple of times today, but it wasn't very much. (Sorry to be so graphic, I just need advise)

I am really worried about being on these pain meds & muscle relaxers for so long & what they have done to my digestive system.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
  2. dleaning

dleaning New Member

Yes, I have had it. It was weird. I kept getting pains on and off for a few months before. Then the pain came back and just got worse as the day went on. Wound up in the ER the next afternoon, and the dr went in with a scope because of where the pain was, just under my ribcage on the right side. Well, sure enough, that is where my appendix was! I never ran a fever or got sick.

Pain meds can cause constipation, big time! Do you have IBS (irritable bowel)? I have gotten pains like that in those areas too. Same thing, not alot at a time.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Dawn
  3. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Well I had mine removed when I was 18 1/2 weeks pregnant!!!

NO JOKE!

You will know when something is not right and you won't question it AT ALL!!!!!!!

At the beginning of my pregnancy I had similiar
    "appendix" pain but the ER doc couldn't find anything and then nothing for several months.

Then out of nowhere I had this horrible excruciating pain that you can't even describe. It was by far THE most painful thing in my life!!!!!!!

I couldn't find any position that would ease the pain. It was behind my belly button and slowly moved to my lower right side.

After ruling out that there was nothing wrong with the baby they decided that they indeed thought it was my appendix.

Exactly where I pointed out where the pain was that is where my appendix was.

I guess your organs move around when you are pregnant so it wasn't really where it was supposed to be.

Anyway, it could just be some unusual bowel pain but if you are really worried about it or in a lot of pain I would absolutely go to the doctor.

I hope you feel better!!! Oh try drinking A LOT of water!!! That is something they stressed to me but I don't know if that was just because I was pregnant.

((HUGS))

kate

Oh one more thing...you will run a low grade fever which I did and your white blood cell count will be way up. My white blood cell count was completely normal and I was still severely sick! Everyone is different.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I had my appendix out when I was 11 years old. I was nauseous and feverish for several days, and even had to walk bent over. I remember it being especially tender and painful on the lower right side of my stomach area.

One doctor misdiagnosed me and said it was just the stomach bug. Two days later, it ruptured and they had to remove it.

If you're worried, I would definitetly get it checked out.

Kholmes
  5. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I appreciate the replies.

I have been resting in bed most of the day. My stomach is still sore, but hasn't gotten any worse. So, for right now, I will just try to rest & see if it gets better.

I have let my husband down AGAIN!! I was suppose to go to a dinner with him tonight to see him get inducted into the Lions Club. My daughter went in my place. It seems like every time I have something planned (& it's usually with the hubby) I can't make it because I am too sick. AARRGHH!

I have not been officailly dx with IBS, but suspect I probably have it.

Kate, that had to be traumatic going through that while you were pregnant. Glad you are ok.

I usually do drink tons of water, but today I haven't felt much like drinking. A couple of days ago, I had to do a 24hr urine test. I ran out of room in the container & had to go to another container! I usually drink that much water every day.

I am really gonna try to cut down on the meds I take & see if that will help.

Thanks,
    Marilyn

6. sues1

sues1 New Member

Yrs. ago, day before Christmas I woke up with pain and it was hard to walk. I kept upchucking...I told my hubby that I did not have to see Dr. I would be okay......must be flu....

Later he called me from work and said he was coming home for me to be ready to go to ER. Someone he worked with said it sounded like appendix. He was home in a couple of minutes and they took blood sample and got me ready for operation at the same time!They rushed and removed my appendix. I was told that it was hot and inflammed and ready to bust. Said I was lucky to get there when I did as it would not of held much longer at all.

DO NOT USE ANYTHING FOR CONSTIPATION......even if not appendix it could be something else even.....but you would do more damage and possibly death if you take anything or do any enemas.................
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I was in the hospital for something else, but I kept reporting a terrible, persistent pain in the right lower quadrant. I said it was appendicitis. 3 doctors said it wasn't because I didn't have a fever.

But the medicine I had taken suppressed the fever. Anyway I ended up in surgery, had peritonitis, etc.

8. tandy

tandy New Member

Oh you'll know if its your appendix simply because the pain will not let up,..and acually gets worse.
    Laying down will not help ease the pain if its your appendix. It sounds like IBS to me.
    But I'm far from an expert.
    If your pains gets worse definitly go to the ER!!

I had my appendix out just 3-4 yrs ago.
    I went to the ER with horrible pains that ran into my back and side. My whole right side hurt like nothing before. Like someone above said,..."you could'nt get comfy' the pains had me rocking.
    I was never sick as far as fever or nausea.
    I did have a very high white blood cell count tho.
    Needless to say they went right in and removed my appendix. I spent 5 days in the hospital.
    Just keep an eye out for increased pain.
    Best of Luck
    Tandy
  9. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

Has the doctor diagnosed you with appendicitis, or are you worried that it might be appendicitis? It sounds very much like it to me. Pain from constipation is most often felt in the lower left portion of your abdomen. Pain caused by appendicitis usually starts out widespread and around the bellybutton. Eventually, however, it localizes to the right lower quadrant of your abdomen. As someone else mentioned, rebound pain is a common sign of it. Meaning, when you press down on the area and then release, you will feel pain upon releasing.

Two years ago I had to have emergency surgery for appendicitis, and was very close to having it rupture. My main mistake was that I let it go for at least 2 weeks. I just thought that I was constipated, so I kept taking laxatives. When nothing was helping, my husband insisted that I see the doctor. But, me being the stubborn one that I am, I continued to let it go. Finally, I woke up one morning in excrutiating pain. I called the doctor's answering service and the doc called back and told me to head straight to the ER. I had to wait in the waiting room for ages, however, they sent me right down for a CT scan and did blood work. They discovered I had appendicitis, and within a couple of hours I was taken to the OR.

Please do not take this lightly. If it is appendicitis and your appendix ruptures, it can be fatal. It could turn out to be just constipation, but, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Gentle healing hugs,
    Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2006]
  10. suzetal

suzetal New Member

He woke at 2 am and said he had pain in his gut.I checked him by pushing on his right side and the pain let up when I pushed down .But when I let go the pain was more sever.

I took him to the ER he had emergency surgery.Doctor told us it was a good thing that we went it was about to burst.

My daughter also had a coiled appendix .It does not show up in test and the pain is straight a cross the belly.Its a good thing we went to the ER she also needed surgery right away.

Please Go To The ER Or Doctor now.Don't mess with it.Can be very dangerous.

Sue