appendix burst I week ago Saturday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by floridagrl, Jun 30, 2008.

1. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I was fine after the surgery but beforehand I experienced the worst pain of my life. I have benn taking it easy but I think I overdid it Saturday. Shopped Super Walmart (hubby pushed cart and lifted everything) but I walked forever the did about 5 loads of dishes.
    I go back to see my surgeon tomorrow. I am still a little sore gave me more antibiotics for a week and lortab for pain.
    It is weird how the pain was not that bad after surgery. I didn't take all the pain meds that were offered. I have 3 incisions- two with 3 staples and one drain hole that has actually almost closed on its own.

I still feel gassy and bloated though. I just can't stand wearing pants due to the positioning of the wounds. The drain hole doesn't hurt but the ones with staples itch. I think they will be taking them out tomorrow.

The worst thing was when the nurse yanked out the drain tube. I think the skin had started growing to it. I screamed , grabbed her hands abd begged her to stop
    I wonder when I will be released back to work. Hopfully not for another few days. Not in too much pain just exausted more than normal. Anyone had this experience? If so when were you realesed to go back to work or regular activity and why still so bloated?
  2. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

as far as work is concerned I don't know--

I had ruptured appendix when I was 15 during summer vacation. I spent 8 days in the hospital--that was over 30 years ago but I still remember the outrageous pain.

During that time I lived with my aunt & uncle and shared a room & bed with my cousin. I had been sick the day before like I had the flu and in the middle of night I was crying from the pain. My cousin wanted to go get her mom and I told her no as I would be ok. My cousin ended up sleeping on the floor the rest of the night as any movement on the bed caused me more pain.

The following morning my aunt took me to the dr and then to the hospital where we waited forever and then went to another hospital and I ended up having surgery that afternoon. I was definately one sick puppy.

Sorry I didn't mean to take over your post.
  3. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

The bloating can come from the general anesthetic. Or, a lot of times when working in that area they blow gas in you to help 'move' everything out of the way. When I had my tubes tied, I didn't have gas pains after, but terrible pain in my left arm for a week. Come to find out this is normal, because in some people, the gas rises......

I would TELL your doctor when you want to be released to go back to work. I wouldn't let him tell you that you are ready. That is considered major abdominal surgery so I would think they give you plenty of time to rest up before going back to work.

Take care of yourself and don't let anyone rush you!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry you've been through all this. It does sound as though you are doing well. A burst appendix can be really dangerous. I'm glad you're on the mend.

Love, Mikie
  5. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

I just thought also that the antibiotics probably are giving me gas too. Trying to eat a lot of yogurt. I had just gotten a new work out tape but have to put it off for a while.
  6. poets

poets Member

I had acute appendicitis when I was seven years old. I'm fifty-five now and still remember the pain. I couldn't walk. My appendix didn't rupture, so I can't imagine the pain you must have had. Hope you get better real soon.

7. bevcat

bevcat New Member

My spleen ruptured when I was 31. Like you, the most excruiating pain I experienced was when the doctor removed the drain tube! Oh the agnony! I can definitely empathize with you.

Don't try to be too active. Your body has gone through a major trauma and you will need lots of rest to recuperate properly. I remember I couldn't drive for six weeks. Luckily, I was a teacher and my spleen ruptured during the summer, so I had 2 months to regain my strength. However, it took me a long time, like 9 months, to really feel "well" again. The fatigue was definitely long lasting. Just take it easy and let others help you. Don't push yourself too much and you'll be fine. Good Luck!