Apple Cider Vinegar vs Lemon Juice?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by TwinMa, Jul 11, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Are apple cider vinegar and lemon juice pretty much interchangeable?

I've been taking lemon juice and aloe vera juice every morning since last October. I really think they help my digestive tract (thanks Stormy!).

But, I'm wondering if a change might be beneficial.

I've been reading on the board about all the benefits of ACV. Sounds pretty great.

Apple Cider Vinegar is cheaper and stores at room temperature, but tastes pretty awful. The lemon juice I'm using is Minute Maid frozen pure 100% juice (no preservatives or sulfites). 1 bottle lasts me about 3 weeks. Can't remember how much it costs, but it's definitely more than the $.49 or so for 16 oz of ACV.

Input?

2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

TwinMa:

I am interested also. I have problems with IBS-C.
    Things are much better since I have used the vinegar.
    And yes: I like the taste.

nyrofan
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Our treatments do evolve, don't they?

Nyro - Did you like the ACV right away or did it take you some time to get used to it? I tried it once and thought it was gross. It tasted like nasty cheap wine. Not that I'm above that kind of thing, but it's been quite some time! LOL!

Do you mix it with water? Do you add aloe in there, too? Are you taking it on an empty stomach?
  4. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I'm laughing here at your nasty cheap wine comment :)

But the taste of apple cider vineger does grow on you, and after a while actually begins to seem refreshing.

Also helps to vividly imagine all the good things it's doing for your body as you drink it down.

I like to squeeze fresh lemon into each glass of water that I drink, too.

Hmmm, dncnfngrs, I love unfiltered apple cider - I'll look for unfiltered cider vinegar with "mother" (that's a sweet thing to call it, isn't it :)

Roseblossom
  5. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Apple cider vinegar is good for keeping the digestive system healthy.. lemon juice is good for clearing out an active bacterial infection (like if you had food poisoning or a virus). At least thats what my acupunturist said.

So i would still go with the vinegar. For me, i just mix a capful of it into a glass of water, and its really not too terrible. You get used to the taste. And you can always mix lemon in with your daily water since it can't hurt anything.
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for your responses. I'll give it another try.

How much ACV does everyone take? I see butterfly takes a capful in a glass of water. Thanks butterfly, that is helpful.

Other amounts?
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Lemon & aloe in the morning and my ACV nightcap in the evening. I like that idea!

Do you think the stuff with mother in it is very much better than the cheap store brand?

Gigi - I do keep my aloe and my lemon juice refrigerated. I keep them separate, though. I just take a small juice glass with about 4 oz of filtered water and add 1 T. lemon juice and 1 T. aloe vera juice first thing in the morning. It only takes a second to measure them out and drink it down.

[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2006]
  8. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I know others take it as a straight shot, then follow with water, but I don't.

I don't see what the difference is between taking it as a straight shot and then following it with a glass of water, and my way of just mixing the water, lemon juice and aloe and drinking it down.

If someone can make a strong case for the shot version, I'll give it a try. But in the meantime, I like my more palatable version.