Appliances -- a new thread :)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ConfusedInPA, Mar 14, 2015.

1. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi, everybody!

Well, I think that Kevin and I did some appliance shopping this morning. "I think" -- because we were communicating with a Home Depot employee via live chat on the internet. She was very very helpful.

We're going to go with Whirlpool -- gosh I hope that's a good brand. I don't think y'all recommended it to us, but, we're keeping our fingers crossed.

So Kevin wrote down model numbers and prices. He'll go to Home Depot later, when he's doing errands.

Our problem is size considerations. We wanted a larger fridge, but they just wouldn't fit in the space we have. So we settled for 20 cubic (feet?). The built-in dishwasher should fit into the 34 inches already there to accommodate the space for a built-in dishwasher.

It seems like built-in dishwashers are getting larger, too, as are fridges!

We don't want to re-do our entire kitchen to install 2 new appliances.

We opted for stainless steel. These are monochromatic stainless -- I guess they might pick up more smudges? Or Not? Mikie, thanks for that recommendation for the cleaner on the other thread!

Whew...... who knew, what's out there, sizes, makes, models, colors, etc etc etc. I'm exhausted. LOL

I'll let y'all know if Kevin buys today and when we get our new stuff! Thanks for all your input on my other thread.

Love, Diane

2. ConfusedInPA

An update --

Kevin bought the Whirlpool Dishwasher and Refrigerator. He also bought 5-year extended warranties (Kevin said that that's a good thing to purchase for an appliance with a "compressor." ? I really don't understand this stuff. These will be our fourth major appliance purchases for the house. (We had to buy a washer and dryer at move-in. Then the water heater died. Then the furnace. Those purchases seemed like a breeze, compared to this! LOL)

Kevin also bought a new garbage disposal. And a Shop-Vac. (We have to drain the old dishwasher completely before it can be removed from our house.) Not sure what else he bought.

Add it all up, we spent about $2,000.

Now we have to cross our fingers.
    *The dishwasher is 35 inches tall. Our space is 34 inches. Home Depot says that there are legs on the dishwasher that can be adjusted, lower.
    *The fridge -- I think we might have to remove our side porch doors. Then the doors on the fridge might have to be removed too. Home Depot assured us that with all the measurements we gave them, the fridge will fit through the door!
    *The company that installs the dishwasher will not install the new garbage disposal! What? So we have to have a third company come in.

Buying 2 appliances should be easier than this! LOL

I'm trying to de-clutter our kitchen a bit. And not worry about things I have no control over. :)

Wish us luck, please!

Thanks, my friends!

PS: Kelly, if you read this -- How's your new car?????
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Diane, how exciting!

Yes, Whirlpool has always been a very good brand for me. My whole kitchen in the family home was Whirlpool. I had to get a Fridigair refridgerator in the condo due to size constrictions. I chose to get a Fridigair range because it was $250 less than the Whirlpool for an almost exact same range. My microwave is a Whirlpool and I've had it for years. My dishwasher is also a Whirlpool and it's quiet and does a good job. I think you'll be happy with your choices. My fridge is probably going to be the first appliance to need replacing. I think I'll get stainless even tho my current appliances are white as are my cupboards. I've seen stainless mixed with white and it doesn't look bad. I can't get all new appliances.

Good luck with your installation. I got a new disposal and got a more powerful motor when I got the new stone countertops and stainless sink. My plumber hooked it up in no time. Even I could probably have done it if it weren't for having to lie under the sink and work with my arms up in the air. That ship has sailed.

Love, Mikie
  4. ConfusedInPA

Hi friends,

I haven't been around a lot, and haven't visited the Porch in ages.

My house is still in a state of disarray!

Fridge will be delivered between Noon and 4:00 p.m. TODAY. According to Home Depot's records, the dishwasher is on the same truck, with the fridge.

NO!!!! The dishwasher has to be installed by a plumber, per county rules. So Mr. Rooter was supposed to deliver and install the dishwasher. Home Depot was supposed to install the fridge only.

The most we could gather from talking with Home Depot, is that Rooter installs from 9:00 until 1:00.

So we sit and wait. Cleaning and clearing things out of the way.

The kitties are upstairs. NOT HAPPY. They have toys, food, water, even a favorite place to sleep.

The good thing: The garbage disposal was installed yesterday. Took over 2 hours! Our house was built in the 1950's, and apparently the disposal has to be installed "backwards?" to fit the pipes. Have you ever heard of that, Mikie?

I don't usually wish the time away --- but I wish it was Sunday! Tomorrow we go grocery shopping to restock our fridge (we've been living out of the "cupboards", if you will. LOL).

Keep your fingers crossed for us, please. This is soo soo stressful. Especially since we don't know if the fridge will fit through our door!

I know, deeeeeeeeep breath! :)

Take care, my friends. Talk to y'all soon.

Love, Diane
  5. kswebb

kswebb Member

Diane, you sound so much like me with the 'stressing' about this kind of stuff............I am getting better - try to live in the moment and tell myself my worrying about it isn't going to change the outcome. Roll with it if you can! Easier said than done I know. I have to actually say those words out loud as I look at myself in the mirror to actually try and practice it. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out! Remember the end result (new appliances) will well be worth it!!!
  6. ConfusedInPA

HI Kelly, and thanks!

Basically Home Depot didn't know where our dishwasher was, except on the "same truck." They knew nothing about county installation requirements, per the "877" number we called. That's what got my blood boiling! LOL

So now we wait.

I'm totally prepared to tell HD to just deliver the DW and we'll call our local plumber to install. But all of this was included in payment. We just want to be kept in the loop. And wait for Roto Rooter to show up with our DW!

And it's not helping that Kevin's boss keeps calling him for work issues. Kevin will help me with one thing, and then the phone rings. Work.

I'm just tired. This work thing started yesterday, around 5:30 p.m. and continued til midnight, now it continues today. I can't move dining room tables by myself. Whine whine whine.

Thanks for listening to me!!!!!!!!!! Y'all on the PH Boards are GREAT! I appreciate your support and replies.

Love, Diane
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

DIANE - I just saw your new thread and had to answer. I think WHIRLPOOL is supposed to be good and we might have had something in that brand.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how the installations go. We had similar problems with having to work with measurements and openings with refrig and oven. Had to get the smaller ones - bah humbug esp wanted the larger oven but to do that would have to redo the who cabinet, but to expensive.

Keys are sticking again so need to run.

8. ConfusedInPA

Hi everybody!

ALL IS DONE. FINISHED! And I couldn't be happier about that! LOL

It was like a Three Stooges show here yesterday. I got everything cleaned out, stuff moved out of the dining room. We were ready! Kevin took the inner door for the side porch off the hinges. He then disassembled the storm door. All was ready for delivery.

It was cold here yesterday, even snowing for a bit. We put our Coleman brand coolers outside to get them thoroughly chilled. We had some ice cube trays and ice packs in our freezer to put in the coolers with our food. That worked out fine.

We still got no info on when our Dishwasher would be delivered and by whom! But we finally got a call from Home Depot that said the fridge was on its way. YIPPEE!

So, here pulls up the big truck. They unloaded the fridge. Brought it to our porch. Kevin took one look at it -- it was the WRONG ONE! So they checked their invoices and realized that they did have OUR fridge on the truck. Out with the other one, in with ours to the porch.

So then came the removal of our old fridge. That went fine. It was empty.

In the middle of all this -- the Roto Rooter guy showed up with our dishwasher! So now we had three people to deal with.

After the old fridge was removed, we then heard the words -- IT WON'T FIT THROUGH THE DOOR (meaning the new fridge). ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH.

One guy got the measuring tape, measured our front door. said push the screen door as far as you can -- and in came the new fridge. And my living room is a bit "destroyed" right now. Things got moved, things got toppled over. Kevin's Recliner got tipped to its side. I had to rush to move all the chairs and stuff that I moved into the living room (for a side porch entry). I look at my living room right now and I think of the tornado in the Wizard of Oz.

But the fridge fit in to the existing space. And it's working wonderfully!!

Meanwhile -- we have Mr. Roto Rooter with our dishwasher. He didn't want to install it. The people who owned the house before we bought it (and there was only one owner) had their own way of doing things. And the husband was a DIY kinda guy.

Indoor/outdoor carpeting was installed in our kitchen/dining room. I'd prefer tile, but a Hoover and some carpet cleaner for tough stains works fine. BUT the carpeting was installed OVER the BASEBOARD and to the bottom of the appliances. So, Rooter guy looked where the dishwasher was and said: I CANNOT cut that carpeting. YOU (KEVIN) will have to do it. So Kevin gets the correct knife, makes some cuts. Dishwasher still won't come out of its built-in space. Cut some more. The Rooter guy looks at Kevin and says "you pull it out". Kevin finally dislodges the DW.

Rooter guy goes to the basement. Our shut-off valve is broken. He has to install a new one, because water is spraying all over the place. $220.

I'll tell y'all -------------- by the time all these guys left, Kevin and I were sooooo tired. We had to finish getting all the "sticky tape" (for protection) and cardboard and styrofoam out of the fridge and freezer. Then load our food. Then Kevin had to reinstall the two doors on the side porch.

Rooter guy ran a dishwasher cycle (empty) and determined there were no leaks.

FOR ALL WHO READ THROUGH THIS SAGA, thanks! I know y'all were wishing us your best. I can't wait to see what will happen when we decide to replace our stove!

I'M TIRED. I'm taking today off. Maybe tomorrow too.

I'll start again on Monday, with cleaning up the "tornado" that struck our living room.

I'll be back when I can!! Luv y'all, Diane

PS: Ya know what? I don't really feel "comfortable" posting up here in "FM/CFS/ME". I wish we were back down in the Friendship & Support Forum. I might not be posting here a lot, anymore. I'll probably stick to Homebound -- unless PH moves that forum up here, too. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  9. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

OMG Diane, You surely did have a bunch of crazy things happening at once. Glad it is all done though and all seems to be working well after the tornado hit :)!! Hope you don't have to go through that again for a long time. I would love to see a picture of your new appliances and kitchen if you ever get everything back in order and you are feeling well enough. If you don't, don't worry about it. Is it a side by side refrig with freezer on one side.? Can you get water out of the water thingy??? and ice?? M daughter has so many gadgets on hers with a lower freezer which I think is newer on the bigger models. Mine is not to new any more but still working:)!! KNOCK ON WOOD !!

It is a busy and rainy day here. Did a bunch of washes and changed the bed and finally got dressed. Will have t get dressed again soon as we got drafted with other K of C member and wives to work on serving and getting the food ready for a dinner to raise money for a deserving charity.

Stay cool and well kiddo.
    Luv you,
    Granni :)