applying for disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lja, Oct 23, 2002.

1. lja

lja New Member

i've have started the red tape path of filing for disability. any suggestions? i wrote out a 4 page letter explaing my illness and a typical day/night. generally, how long does it take? i've read where it can take up to 2 years! thats incredible to me. i'm wondering if i should get a lawyer. thanking you in advance for your replies!
  2. lja

lja New Member

i've have started the red tape path of filing for disability. any suggestions? i wrote out a 4 page letter explaing my illness and a typical day/night. generally, how long does it take? i've read where it can take up to 2 years! thats incredible to me. i'm wondering if i should get a lawyer. thanking you in advance for your replies!
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I got mine in just under 1 year. I think the standard procedure is to apply 2x on your own and for the 3rd (assuming you're denied 2x) get a lawyer to go to court for you. I saw a lawyer the 1st time I was denied & he said do the appeal on my own & come back if I got denied again, which I did. This was also about 8 years ago so CFIDS was not so accepted, hopefully you will get it on your 1st or second try. Having a lawyer definately helped me - I wouldn't have been able to hold it together in front of the judge. It seems the more documentation you have the better so keep seeing docs etc. Hope this helps & good luck...AMY
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Hi,
    Are you referring to Social Security Disability? If so, then it can indeed be a loooooooong process. If you go to the top of the page where it says "search messages" & type in "Disability" or "Social Security". you will pull up a wealth of information. I know it helped me tremendously. Keep a photocopy of everything that you send them. You certainly do not want to confuse them by having fewer symptoms on a later form than you do on an earlier one. The attorney that will represent me, if necessary, is Scott Davis in Arizona. Some people on the board have had problems with him, but I was very impressed with his apparent knowledge of the system. He said he would take my case when/if I get my first denial in December. I hope I won't need him, but it is comforting to know he will be there if I do.
    Best of luck to you,
    Kathryn
  5. dd

dd New Member

I started my application process in May of 2000 and was approved by December of 2000. I had heard many horror stories of being denied many times by other people so I was shocked to say the least when I was approved the first time out.

I think that you are on the right track by writing a letter explaining your illness in depth. I did the same thing and I truly believe that the more words they see on paper and the more symptoms that you can describe will help. They have to FEEL your PAIN AND SUFFERING thru YOUR words. The more the better. Don't sugar-coat anything. Another thing that I did was HELP my family members and friends fill out their forms. When they received their forms to fill out I had them come to my house and we did it together. That way I they knew exactly what I needed to be said and in what way to say it. I did not have them say anything that was not true. I just had them elaborate on what they saw me going thru instead of giving one sentence answers.

Good luck on your endeavor. If I can help in any way let me know.

Debbie
  6. Joannie

Joannie New Member

Hi, I wanted to wish you luck on this. My experience has not been good but it does not mean yours will be this way. I would like to suggest to you that you go and get all your medical records from all your Doctors yourself, make copies and take them in yourself to the SS office. If it is possible and your Doctors' will give you copies. But before you copy and hand them over READ them. If you find something you feel is wrong contact the Doctor's office and explain that you feel this is not accurate and you would like a letter written to change this dictation. If I could start all over I would to be honest and I would have done it before all this mess I am in now.
    By taking the records in yourself it cuts down on the processing time a lot. They do not have to contact the Doctor's office by mail mind you and wait for these records to return. I have been waiting over two years now and am at the Appeals Counsel level due to the fact that I didn't know two Doctor's dictations were incorrect and I was denied by the Judge because of it. I had to go and ask for letter to explain their errors on the dictations. {obviously my Attorney was NOT doing his job is how I see it. He should have caught it you would have thought.} I don't think that an Attorney will take you until you've been denied and ready for a hearing. Unfortunately I say due to the fact they still get a percentage of all back pay...
    I wish you much luck and hope it is a speedy approval for you.
    Joannie
  7. glendamarie22

glendamarie22 New Member

but I can't get a doc to back me up. I have had a HORRIBLE time with all the docs I've seen in the past few years and am terrified to try another - it might just send me over the edge. How can I get disability without a doctor's recommendation?
    (By the way, I just wanted to let those of you who were finally approved know how happy I am for you!)

Hugs,
    Glenda

8. GoDaleJr

GoDaleJr New Member

I just applied today online for SSDI. There is tons more paperwork to fill out. UGH. It is maddening, all that reading!
    I am on State Disability, but it runs out soon.
    I saw an EDD doctor yesterday who gave me a "no return to work" answer, so hopefully that will help me, but like you said above...my rheumies have both put me back to work several times. I hate them. I've made appts. with other Rheumies, but can't get in until December. Needless to say, my doctors' reports will most likely get me denied.
    I just saw my PCP for anxiety/depression....probably caused by my heartless rheumatologist!!!!!
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Seems it can vary by state and how busy and understaffed they are. I'm in Florida which has a very busy workload. By the time mine gets through the hearing in Dec., it will be almost two years.

I would say get an atty. from the very get go. Mine was invaluable in steering me toward docs who know how to chart in order to build your case. You should be keeping a log of every time you are seen by your docs and which drugs and treatments you are receiving.

Find a good atty with a high win/loss ratio (avg. is 50 percent; you want one in the 90's). Good luck.

Love, Mikie