Approved for Canadian disability (CPP) thanks to Pepper

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by beverly20024, Nov 24, 2005.

1. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

Pepper!! I got my call yesterday that I was approved. I couldn't help myself and cried to a complete stranger on the phone. He just gently told me to take care of myself. It took exactly 3 months and 1 week to get the call.

He said he was able to approve my disability because of the great job my doctor did. He didn't have to do any follow-up at all.

It will now take 8 - 12 weeks to get my letter of approval with the amounts. Oh to think I can finally contribute to my family again in a monetary way. Our debt load has been eating me up.

When I hung up, I sobbed for 10 minutes to the cat who was quite confused (still just a kitten), but looked very worried! I didn't realize how much the stress of this claim had taken over my life. I feel lighter with a glimmer of happiness for the first time in a long time.

What I know for sure is that this wouldn't have happened without you to guide me. I owe you and your sister a great debt of gratitude. Will you please pass on my good news and my thank you to her? I can't believe two complete strangers have changed my life in such a positive way. I feel validated now.

I know there are great blessings ahead for both of you. The good things have to come around too.

Love,
    Bev
  2. darude

darude New Member

I just got mine apporved last week on first appeal. I'm in Calgary. What illness do you have and how long did it take?
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I went through almost 2 years of hell going through the process .. because I had a split international record of working in the Netherlands (husband military) and working here, Kingston Ont .. just making it in the time frame allowable .. it was very stressful .. you can well imagine .. I also felt such anxiety not being able to contribute to the family income .. I worked every where I could, when we moved countless times .. I know how relieved you must feel .. I had many cries over feeling so unwell and the worry of the claim .. once the international office got all the information it was done quickly from that point .. but I still remember the STRESS.
    I'm very happy for you .. some times it seems the little people never win .. and then there are times like this .. congrats !
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  4. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

I'm sorry you've been through so much during this process, both of you. Thank you for your kind words.

Darude, I've followed your posts for a long time and simply couldn't believe your claim was denied with all of your illnesses! I was THRILLED when I read your post that you were finally, rightfully approved. Did they say your approval letter with amounts would take 2 - 3 months also? Now, of course, I'm worried about the $ figure!

I have severe FM, endometriosis, OA, TMJ, interstitial cystitis, and I can't remember the rest, believe it or not. I try to take it one day at a time and not dwell. Some days it's impossible as I'm sure you both know.

I hope others who are denied CPP won't give up until they're heard. Good luck to everyone.

Take care,
    Bev

5. darude

darude New Member

Phone call said 5-8 weeks. I phoned them and they worked out the $ figure not much!!!!!! I was declared disabled on November 2003 and my claim is backdated to April 2004( because I should have been approved the first time). How about you?
  6. Donya58

Donya58 New Member

I'm so glad you were approved. I do think the medical society is finally realizing that fm isn't in your head. I was one of the lucky ones and was approved as well. It isn't what it would be if I was out working part time but it sure helps and it does make you feel good to be able to contribute to the family income. Take care, Donya:))
  7. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

My claim is back-dated to August 2004, so there will be more than 1-1/2 years, I guess.

Really? The $ figure wasn't much? :( I wonder if it depends on how long you contributed to CPP before you were disabled? I also have a dependant child, so I think they will add something on for him. I hope it will make a dent in our debt load.

I live in B.C., and I guess it takes longer for them, as they told me 8 - 12 weeks. You were able to call them right away to find out the $ amount? I mentioned it to the person who called me, but he said he has nothing to do with that - it goes to another department.

Darn, now I'm worried it won't be much...

Bev
  8. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I'm very glad for you that you are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. But, frankly, I don't see why it should take longer because you live in B.C. Did they tell you that? CPP is federal not provincial. I have put in my application for CFS about two weeks ago, so I guess I won't hold my breath waiting for the phone to ring. Good for you!! Marie
  9. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

I don't know why I was told 8 - 12 weeks and Darude so much less time. Doesn't make sense. I do have this overwhelming sense of relief, now tempered with great hope that it will be a decent amount that will help pay our debt load down. I haven't been able to work for 9 years, so it's considerable.

I wish you a speedy reply, Marie. Try not to even think about it for 3 months. If you hear before then, bless you!

Take care,
    Bev
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

I am so happy that you have been approved! I will certainly pass that wonderful news on to my sister.

I remember so well when I was approved how the weight of the world seemed to be lifted from my shoulders. I am sure it was at the back of your mind most of the time and affecting you even when you were not aware.

And back-dated for over a year! That is truly terrific.

The dollar amount does depend on how much you contributed before you became ill up to a maximum of 8 yrs or thereabouts.

Whatever the amount, your illness has been validated by complete strangers. I hope that you are able to celebrate with your DH and son.

(((HUGS)))Pepper
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2005]
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

that is great and i'm sure a relief...

i know about crying to a complete stranger i found out here in the states when i went into social security officer personally.

i had some questions about the closed case...the supervisor came out and said she had good news they had received the final approval in the office and i should be getting a letter soon and more money....

so i started crying and told her that these were tears of happiness...

so it is a relief in sorts but i am still relatively young almost 41 years old on christmas day....i'm not ready to call it retirement permanenetly still want to try to do something else feasible for myself financially....

best wishes

jodie
  12. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hi guys .. there is something VERY important that you have to keep in mind when you get your lump sum payment .. I have BEEN there ! .. it will be TAXED !!! .. I had to set aside enough to cover myself, even though my monthly payment was not enough to worry about, but the LUMP sum WAS because it was back dated quite far.
    Please let me know that you have read this post .. I'll check through out the day .. this is an important issue and I don't want you guys to be caught up in tax debt too !
  13. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

i've had fibro symptoms for years; was just diagnosed this past summer due to my wanting a conclusive diagnosis as the symptoms seem to get worse.

i'm 47, divorced, single mom to an almost 8 year old son. i am fighting myself to stay working full time and i also work per diem at an assisted living facility.

there are times i just cry or get SO stressed because i need to get out of bed and start MOVING every morning to get us out and off to where we need to be. it feels unfair and i am so glad that there can be a way to help to live with fibromyalgia.

any tips on where to begin? anything you add would be much appreciated....hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

kim
  14. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

So happy to hear from you! Yes, what a wonderful relief. You and your sister were a God-send to me. I will never forget you, and you'll always be in my prayers.

And yes, complete strangers have validated me. They believe FM can take over and take away your life, even when you're kicking and screaming.

Pepper, thank you and thank you.

Love,
    Bev

15. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

Jodie, what a wonderful birthday gift for you. I know you wouldn't receive these monies if they weren't deserved. I'm five years older than you, and should be in the prime of my life. Instead....well you know.

I'm so happy for you. My tears were tears of happiness too, but my voice was too strangled to say so!

Take care of yourself,
    Bev
  16. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

Thanks for the taxes reminder fudge. I'm quite sure it's 25% that they will want back. We'll also owe some taxes for last year as my husband claimed me as a dependant on his taxes. I'm going to have to look into that somehow too.

Thanks for your support!

Take care,
    Bev
  17. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

Kim, my heart goes out to you. What an impossible situation you're in. You don't deserve to have to juggle this disease on top of being a single mom to a little boy.

I'm in Canada, and we start by calling the disability branch of the govt. and asking for the forms. They send you a big package of forms, including a form for your doctor. It took me a couple of months to get my forms done, and my doctor took six months!

I believe you're in the U.S. and it's called something different. SSDI and SSD. I only know this because I just searched for titles on "disability" on this site. So, try typing SSD or SSDI in the search function on the top of your screen and you'll see tons of entries.

My very best wishes to you.

Take care,
    Bev
  18. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

I know exactly how you're feeling. I was scared to open that first letter and it just told me they had received my claim!

As far as I know, denials are sent in the mail and acceptances are made my phone. I approached the mailbox with great trepidation every morning. Can you believe that? Oh, I'm so relieved.

I wrote down all my medical problems, including endo. I managed to get through work with the pain of endo and pain of interstitial cystitis, but FM was the straw that broke the camel's back. I wanted them to see that I was able to function through pain, but not FM pain.

Pepper recommended that I write all ailments down, but FM was the primary reason for becoming disabled.

If your doctor included copies of all the favourable reports, things sound good. If you get denied, don't fret. If that does happen (and I pray it doesn't), please ask pepper for help. She will know exactly where your claim was lacking and how to fix it. That's how much faith I have in her. (Hope you don't mind, pepper....)

I wish you well, Carrie. Keep us posted.

Take care,
    Bev
  19. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Glad you know about the taxes Bev ! .. Last year was hard on us becuase of that and that my husband couldn't claim me either .. but this year we are back on track .. I get just a little benefit every month ( I'm grateful for what ever though !! ) .. so my husband can claim me again .. it is a long haul to get sorted .. and very stressful .. so I'm very happy to hear from the people that make it .. and my heart goes out to those who don't or are put through the wringer. It is a constant battle for us .. my husband is ex-military and he with many others are still fighting for LTD that they paid into all of their careers .. it makes me sick to know these guys have to go through so much when it is OWED to them .. but that is life eh ?
    Again congrats !
  20. darude

darude New Member

Yeas i realize its taxed. I have sent for the disability tax form to offset that. Although will probably take a awhile to qualify for that!!!!!!!!!! So ya prepared for the taxes here. How much do they tax you on lump sum what percentage? Do they tax lump sum immediately or after when you do your taxes? Can get it back with disabilty tax form T222 I think its called. Anyway let me know thanks.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2005]