APPROVED FOR SSDI ON 1ST TRY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mevy, Jun 5, 2006.

1. mevy

mevy New Member

Hello there everyone!!!!! Just want to give a few words of encouragement to all who are trying to get their disability thru. First let me say I know that I am very very fortunate

I 1st applied for SSDI on March 30, 06. Today I thought what if I get a letter from SSA today on my disability? I thought I had to be crazy after all I only applied TWO Months ago.

I went to the mail box and I had the biggest surprise of my life!!!!!! No approval letter but a CHECK for the past five months disability payments. I immediately called my Social SEcurity Office and they said I was approved and my approval letter was mailed out today. SSA agent said Utah State didn't even get my claim until April 24, 06 and they approved my claim on MAY 6!!!! He said I had absolute documentation proof of disability and no one has ever been approved this fast.

I have many health issues from FM/CFS, severe asthma, both RA and OA arthritis, depression, high blood pressure, hypothyroid, high chlosterol. I am nearly 58 so i know that is a factor.

Please hang in there and keep on fighting. When I went to my 1st interview I took ALL my med. records with me for the past 7 years, from all my Doctors. I had myself set fora very long year or more of trying to get this through and at least 1 or 2 denials and a lawyer to hire.

I am a very lucky woman today. I want to say thanks to people on this board. I read alot of things and got alot of ideas of what I needed to do from people here.

Sorry for the long post, but today has been a GREAT Day!!

Keep on Keeping On!!!!

Hugs to all,
    MEVY

2. jakeg

jakeg New Member

What a wonderful thing to find in the mailbox before they even notified you of your win.

I hope mine goes as quickly also, just applied last month and took all of my med records with me also.

Jake
  3. mimilove

mimilove New Member

Mevy...................................

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs to you

Mimi
  4. catmom50

catmom50 New Member

So happy to hear of your approval! Hope mine goes half as well. Wednesday is my first appt. I don't have my medical records, so suppose that will prolong things, getting them.
  5. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

Congratulations!

I know that is a big load of stress off.

I too just applied 30 days ago. I took in all my medical records for the past 4 years, plus work documents, letters and anything else I thought would help my case. I am hopeful I will be as fortunate as you have been. I feel that I have a pretty strong case. We'll see!

Again, congratulations!

Sylvia
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I know the feeling of elation; I won mine on my first appeal in February.
    Let's pray that everyone else who has been denied or is appealing wins the benefits that are their due as well.
    Kholmes
  7. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Mevy:

So glad that Social Security has worked out for you...I believe that your case is how ALL cases should go...after all, we are the taxpayers who support the program...if we are disabled, we should have access to the benefits.

Congrats again...and I am sure that your success story will encourage others on the board.

Ingrid
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

Wonderful news!!!

Now you can relax a little bit and begin the healing process.

I've heard getting SSDI instead of retirement SS is better, that its a higher amount. Wonder if true....

Anyhooooo.....YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!

findmind
  9. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi mevy,

I just want to congratulate you on getting approved on your 1st try. I know you probably thought it was going to be a long, drawn-out process.

I'm very happy for you; this just doesn't happen very often.

Take Care,

BlueSky555
  10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Judos!!!
    Congrats. to you! It took me about two years.
    The only thing I can figure is that you must be smarter and prettier th an I am!! Glad it's over for you.
    Best wishes,
    MRDAD
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

wow this is great news for you! we always try to prepare for the worst but sometimes are pleseantly surprised!!.........................now you can relax! I remember the day i opened the mailbox and found a "fully favorable letter" ...............................................then only a few days and a big check came! it was almost like i was dreaming ! but no it was real Thank God!!....................................take care! sisland
  12. tigercat411

tigercat411 New Member

I am just starting the process for SS...and it is SO terrific to see this post as everyone has told me ya da ya da yada- so its really great to see you get it...mine may take awhile and Im ok with that....but I am so happy for you (I would dance a jig if I wasnt hurting LOL)
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

YIPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy for you! I also got approved on the first try and could not believe it!

Hugs,
    Janet
  14. Linn3

Linn3 New Member

WOW! That is terrific. You must have been dancing at the mailbox. I'm glad you got it on the first try. Marsha
  15. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I remember the feeling when I was approved and mine was on the second try. I cried tears of joy. It meant so much to have the Judge validate my illnesses. I am thrilled for you. You have been blessed.

Lolalee
  16. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Mevy,
    What state were you approved in?
    granmama
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is wonderful news. It took me three years, but I never gave up. Payments are retroactive to eligibility so it's worth it to keep trying.

Posts like this tell me two things: One, that you did a very good job documenting your disability; and, two, that more and more, our disabilities are being recognized. Good news!

Love, Mikie
  18. mevy

mevy New Member

Thanks to all of you for your replys. It means so much. I agree that this is how the system should work but not often does. We are entitled to it but it shouldn't have to be such a fight to get it.

And the answer to SSDI verses retirement social security--the answer is yes it is more money. My amount is almost $250.00 more a month on disability. WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I am praying for more and more claims to be approved faster and easier as our medical issues for fibromyalgia and CFS and all that goes with it are being more recognized in medical society now. It's way past time.

Keep on Keeping on

Big Hugs to all
    Love, Mevy
  19. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

So happy for you that you weren't forced to take the time and energy to fight the system...

I agree with another poster (Mikie, I think), SSDI is seeing many of our illnesses preventing us from working and deciding to make our lives a little easier by approving some of us quickly...

In my case, I stopped working October 04 and had filed right away, I have had 2 denials allready...My lawyer recently sent SSDI a letter asking for an immediate favorable decision along with a condensed description of most of my health problems...That was 2 weeks ago now...

I hope to go to my mailbox and get the same surprise as you.

Again, happy for you Mevy, take care of you~Alicia
  20. mevy

mevy New Member

You asked if I recieved my 5 months back payments in one sum. Yes I did. That was the check that came and shocked me to death yesterday. I have not worked since July 05. I was paid from Jan-May 06. They held Aug-Dec 05 as my five months I won't be paid for.

Now my next concern is Medicare Ins. I think you need to be on SSDI for 24 months before it kicks in. I'm not sure if that is from time last worked or the time of approval. So I think it would either be July 07 or Jan 08. Will check it out for sure. One step at a time. I'm just grateful for THE BIGGEST ONE NOW APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for replys,
    Mevy