Appt. with Dr. Komaroff

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ktp812, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

After six plus years and never having a doctor who remotely understands CFS I am fortunate enough to have an appt. with Dr. Komaroff in Boston..
    It will be 45 minutes long and I need some advice on how to make the most of this time.

I will at least not have to try and explain my symptoms or what I feel like since he has treated thousands before me. I just really don't want to backtrack on the past 6 year nightmare I have lived including 3 years of Lyme treatments.

I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas on what I should bring with me and just basically how to use this time wisely...

He already has some information about me which I sent to him and a timeline of my illness progression along with some recent testing.

Thanks
    Kim
  2. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

Thank you both for replying and for the information. My appt. is March 4th but I am trying to put together the most important information for the doctor.

I am pretty nervous about seeing him but am bringing along my husband since sometimes he hears things that I don't remember. I am bringing a notebook with me too so I can write notes.

I am also very excited about getting the opportunity to have a consult with him..
  3. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

I am excited because in over six years now I have not had a doctor come close to understanding what I am going through. It has been frustrating and heartbreaking at the same time.
    I happen to see a video clip of Dr. Komaroff doing a lecture in Boston and I couldn't believe it. I had no idea there was a doctor so close to me who gets it and has been treating and researching for 20 years. He said he was taking no new patients at the time BUT...
    I wrote him a letter and detailed although not long what had happened to me in the beginning and what I have gone through since 2004.

The letter must have helped because he wrote back and sent me a questionnaire and wanted me to send some medical records to determine if I was a candidate for a consult.

2 months later I was accepted and that is why I am soooo excited. I was at the end of my rope in despair and total hopelesness and then this miracle (to me anyway) happened. So I want to make the most of this appt. even though I know there will be others too.

I don't get excited about much but being sick and giving all my effort in trying to get in to see him has been a very big boost for me mentally...I will definately post back on how the appt. goes..thanks
  4. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

Thank you for your post..getting myself an appt. with Dr. K without another doctor's help is probably the one thing I am proud of myself for. It has been a long time that I have felt like I have done something worthwile.

I have to give my husband alot of the credit because he is the one that encouraged me to write him a letter. He said I had a way with words and that he was betting that Dr. K would find my case interesting. So if not for him I probably would not have given it a try.

I am counting down the days!