Appt. with Dr. Komaroff

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ktp812, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

After six plus years and never having a doctor who remotely understands CFS I am fortunate enough to have an appt. with Dr. Komaroff in Boston..
    It will be 45 minutes long and I need some advice on how to make the most of this time.

I will at least not have to try and explain my symptoms or what I feel like since he has treated thousands before me. I just really don't want to backtrack on the past 6 year nightmare I have lived including 3 years of Lyme treatments.

I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas on what I should bring with me and just basically how to use this time wisely...

He already has some information about me which I sent to him and a timeline of my illness progression along with some recent testing.

2. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

Thank you both for replying and for the information. My appt. is March 4th but I am trying to put together the most important information for the doctor.

I am pretty nervous about seeing him but am bringing along my husband since sometimes he hears things that I don't remember. I am bringing a notebook with me too so I can write notes.

I am also very excited about getting the opportunity to have a consult with him..
  3. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

I am excited because in over six years now I have not had a doctor come close to understanding what I am going through. It has been frustrating and heartbreaking at the same time.
    I happen to see a video clip of Dr. Komaroff doing a lecture in Boston and I couldn't believe it. I had no idea there was a doctor so close to me who gets it and has been treating and researching for 20 years. He said he was taking no new patients at the time BUT...
    I wrote him a letter and detailed although not long what had happened to me in the beginning and what I have gone through since 2004.

The letter must have helped because he wrote back and sent me a questionnaire and wanted me to send some medical records to determine if I was a candidate for a consult.

2 months later I was accepted and that is why I am soooo excited. I was at the end of my rope in despair and total hopelesness and then this miracle (to me anyway) happened. So I want to make the most of this appt. even though I know there will be others too.

I don't get excited about much but being sick and giving all my effort in trying to get in to see him has been a very big boost for me mentally...I will definately post back on how the appt. goes..thanks
  4. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

Thank you for your post..getting myself an appt. with Dr. K without another doctor's help is probably the one thing I am proud of myself for. It has been a long time that I have felt like I have done something worthwile.

I have to give my husband alot of the credit because he is the one that encouraged me to write him a letter. He said I had a way with words and that he was betting that Dr. K would find my case interesting. So if not for him I probably would not have given it a try.

I am counting down the days!