appt with new dr. ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IndigoSC, Apr 8, 2003.

1. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have an appointment with a new dr. soon (just a regular GP, but supposedly treats fibro, we'll see...) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to take with me besides old medical records and maybe a list of complaints! ;) THanks!!
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Besides your list of "concerns", I would take a list of all the current medications you are on, and the exact strength, including any herbs, over-the-counter meds, etc. I would also have a list of everything that you have tried for each of your concerns that has not worked.

Hope you like your new doc!
  3. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

Thanks, I added all of that to my list and also injuries and hospitalizations I've had that might add to the pain and problems.
    Anything else I might should include??
  4. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

Any new Dr. will have you "list" meds, past surgeries, etc. And handing him/her a neat List of symptoms, or aches & pains is good. But usually a Dr. will only adress one or two problems per/visit-- so have on your mind the most important thing you want him to do for you...your nerves, or pain control,(yeah, right!), or a part of your body that hurts more than the rest. Or maybe you are looking FOR the Dx of FMS? But go with knowledge of your DD too! I truely believe WE know more than they do(we definately have more time to study FM!),-Not to Lord it over them, but to have the right knowledge so we don't get bulldozed over! Or shoved out to the waiting room with them mumbling "it's all in your head!"
    Just be frank and honest. Tell him what you feel you need. let him know how you are sleeping...what kind of diet- or foods you eat...what kind & how much~if any~ exercise, etc.
    Well, Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out!
    Love,
    Fibromiester
  5. KayL

KayL New Member

That way you will have documentation of how severe it is, how long it lasts, what parts of your body are affected, etc.

Karen
  6. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi IndigoSC: I think it was Tibbiecow that just posted a great message on FINDING a new doc, but it might give you some ideas on questions to ask. Bumping.