appt with new PC doctor today! anxious, venting...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Aug 4, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

My appointment is at 3:30 this afternoon. I'm anxious about this. It's always so hard to start with a new doctor.

I have my medical history printed out, my daily meds and my as-needed meds in their own zip top baggies, my supplements in another baggie, and my blood pressure history too, as I have a bad case of "white coat hypertension". I may need a suitcase to bring it all with me!

I hate getting on the scale. I KNOW the doc may well look at me, say "lose weight", and blame it all on my 40 extra pounds. Well, 45 since I stressed out and stopped hormones the end of June. Losing weight is not the cure-all. If it were, why would thin people die of heart disease and other illnesses?

I know I'm rambling, just so stressed and anxious about this appointment. I feel like I should be able to manage all this health stuff on my own, not depend on someone else.

I can feel my pulse rate increasing and my blood pressure going up as I type this. I don't know when this resistance to doctors started for me, but it is a problem. Maybe because most of them don't know what to do with me and my fibro, and make me feel inadequate because I have an illness they can't treat?

Maybe it'll go well, I hope so. This doc was recommended by an aquaintance, who told me that he is open to alternative medicine, and his wife studies herbal medicine. I can live and hope.

Thank you all for listening. It helps not to keep all this inside.

Peace,
    Beth.
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I am a mouse at the doctors. I just nod my head and smile when they talk! I went to my PCP for Klonopin, he gave me 2 months worth but said he did not want me on it long term because it is addictive. But he referred me to a rheumy. After taking the Klonopin I was prepared to fight for it at the rheumy! I even took my husband along.

He started out with the it is addictive speech but before I could jump on him with both feet, he agreed to give me 3 more months worth with evaluation at the end since the dose was low and it was helping so much.

The instructions I received from them was to bring all my meds and supps along. I had a Wal-Mart bag full and he never even asked about it. Hey, at least I did not forget and leave them there!!!

Sonya
  3. BethM

BethM New Member

thanks, especially for the reminder not to leave my bag of 'goodies' at the office when I leave!

Beth.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

supplements Beth, I see ilvj had to do that too?? Why cant you just give them a list of what you take??

I know how you feel, most of us are made to feel that way at some time by doctors and you're right the inadequacy is on their part because they cant treat us.

I really hope it goes well for you and you discover a decent human being who will give you the support you need.

Rosie
  5. BethM

BethM New Member

I am bringing all my meds and supps mostly because the doc requests it and I am being polite. He does not trust people to write down properly their meds and dosages, I assume. And he is right, many people are comletely ignorant of what they are taking and why they are taking it.

I am a school nurse, work in a high school, and I am constantly amazed that neither the kids nor the staff know what their meds are.

I think we on this board are far more knowlegable than most of the general population about our meds and supps! We HAVE to be.

I also want to bring them so that he can see the labels as written, because I need him to write new ones for all of them, since I changed not only doctors but groups, too.

I'll get to do this again in January, if my house sells as planned and I move to my sister's house until the end of the school year. And again next summer when I move to Northern CA. sigh. and sigh again.

Peace,
    Beth.
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I had an appointment yesterday with a new doctor for a sore throat. It turns out I saw a physician's assistant. Anyways, she looked at my intake sheet and said, "I see you have chronic fatigue". I corrected her and said, "chronic fatigue syndrome". She said, "that's what I said - chronic fatigue". And to be honest, I don't remember what I said at that point. I wanted her to realize they weren't the same thing, that it wasn't just chronic fatigue.

She did ask about prior lab work, very surprising, as though it actually meant something to her that I ahd CFIDS. She did say I had been defensive, and I told her how one doctor, when I told her I had CFIDS, had just stated, "I don't treat that", and another had just ignored the fact that I had it. This PA didn't say anything when I told her that.

Anyways, I did get anxious and stressed before the appointment, my blood pressure was higher than usual. I do hate going to see doctors now, I never know how they're going to be. And I feel like most of them don't understand, but I have to be at their mercy. I do have one doctor who does understand what's going on.

By the way, I'm carrying an extra 60 pounds myself. I hate it, but can't exercise, etc. I am going to start being very careful about carbs - that helped me lose 10 pounds earlier this year, it was just so slow and I had to be so careful about everything I put in my mouth, but it did work.

Take care -- I hope your appointment goes well.

Mary
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

It helps to know others feel the same way. I am heading out in a few minutes, have a hair cut scheduled today too. I figure that will help me feel better for my appointment! (I'm looking rather poodle-like at the moment, definitely need a trim!)

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

light,
    Beth.
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

yes you're right, many people dont know what their meds are, we've had to do so much research ourselves that we know exactly what we're taking or else we find out on this board.

Hope it went well for you.

Rosie