April 30th Bible Study

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Lms526, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Hello everyone!
    Before we begin this week's study, lets again open with a brief word of prayer "Heavenly Father, I pray that You would reveal the truth of your Word to each one of us. Please speak to us and help us to be open to whatever You wish to say to us. May we rightly divide Your Word of truth. May we bring You honor and glory through this study. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

Okay, the passage I have selected to discuss this week is Philippians 4:4-7

Here is the text from the NASB

Phillipians 4:4-7
    Rejoice in the Lord always; again I say rejoice. Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

1. In verse 4, Paul tells us to rejoice always. Why do you think Paul repeats the word rejoice? When do you find it most difficult to rejoice?

2. Is there someone in your life who possesses a gentle spirit? How do you feel when you are around this person? How does a person with a gentle spirit act, think and talk? What are some practical things we can do to develop a gentle spirit ourselves?

3. In verse 6, Paul tells us to be anxious for nothing. What are some healthy, biblical ways to deal with anxiety? What are some unhealthy ways? How does the way you choose to deal with anxiety affect your relationship with God? Do you find it easy or difficult to share your anxieties with Him?

4. How does the peace of God differ from the peace the world offers? The world promises peace, but do you think it can keep that promise?

5. Describe a time in your life when God's peace guarded your heart and mind? How did that peace affect your view of the situation and of God?

Well....I hope you all enjoy this study. I will wrap things up on Thursday and will post a new study early Monday morning. God Bless you all!

Lms526

[This Message was Edited on 04/30/2007]
  2. caffey

caffey New Member

There is so much to be said here. I will try and be brief.
    1. I think that Paul repeats himself because when something is said once we usually don't hear it. For me it takes a couple of times to register. It is difficult to rejoice when it is a dark scary time when you feel like your world is turned upside down and nothing makes sense.
    2. I have a friend who has a gentle spirit. When I am around her I feel like all is well. She is very quiet and gentle. When she gives me a hug I start to cry. Slow down and don't be in such a hurry to respond in a situation. Get to God right away.
    3.To deal with anxiety, prayer, reading your Bible, quiet praise music, maintain a quiet environment, surround yourself with positive people, unhealthy ways are being alone to much and thinking too much about the situation. Also being too busy so you don't think enough. Using drugs, alcohol etc as a means of not dealing with the situation. I get to God right away and ask for His peace in the midst of the situation. It brings me closer to God. For me it is easy to share my anxieties with Him.
    4. God's peace is comforting and soothing. I don't believe the world can give peace. Because only God is able to give peace. That is one of His names. Peace.
    5.I try as much as possible to live in God's peace. I am in the middle of a dark time right now and I can feel His peace. When I don't feel His peace I am edgy anxious and nervous and I have to get back to Him and ask Him for His peace and to ask Him to help me to see the situation for what it really is and not what I think it is. Once you know God's peace you know how awful it is to not have it.

I tried to be brief as I could go on and on. So I hope I made some sense. Good questions. Wish we could sit around and have coffee and discuss them. Thanks for your hard work.
    Cath
  3. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Hi Cath,
    Thanks for your reply. I really enjoyed reading what you wrote. I felt that it made perfect sense. I think you came up with some really great suggestions about dealing with anxiety.

It's strange, but I don't find doing these Bible studies hard work at all. In fact, I've been surprised how easily they come together. This may surprise you, but I never knew I was gifted in teaching. But lately, the Lord has been showing me that I am gifted in teaching and do have leadership abilities. I have no idea what God has planned for me. But I am so excited to find out. I know He will lead and equip me every step of the way. I can't take any credit for these studies whatsoever. I'm just humbled and grateful that God would allow me to serve the rest of you in this way.

Thanks for responding.

Lms526
  4. 143alan

143alan New Member

Hi Lms!
    Great topic and scriptures this week. This is one of my favorites. I want to say Praise God that he uses all kinds of catalysts to get people where he wants them to be if they are willing to be obedient and I am so happy that you heard his calling. You are doing a great job.

I really can't add much more than Cathy put! I agree that saying rejoice twice may well have been to get our attention. I have known 2 people in my life that have that gentle spirit and being around them makes you want to find out how they have such peace and joy and that leads to wanting to know Christ.

I'm not quite sure how to develop a gentle spirit, I do know that I don't have one!!! I feel like these verses really remind us that God is with us and we can cast our cares on him and be anxious for nothing because he IS always with us. Paul knew and felt the presence of God and wanted everyone to.

Take Care and have a great week.
    Nancy
  5. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Just bumping this up so it's closer to the top.
  6. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Hi there,
    Thank you so much for sharing. I could really relate to what you wrote. I've struggled with anxiety as well. It's definitely not an easy thing.

I too, have had long periods where I didn't feel very peaceful at all. But I have also experienced a couple of long periods when I have experienced God's peace long term. The first was right after I got saved in 2004. I was also on a spiritual high after the Walk to Emmaus. The spiritual high is gone now, but the peace I felt there is still with me. I will pray that God will give you His peace and joy. I've been there. I know how hard it can be. But one other thing that I've learned is that God's peace is lasting and it doesn't leave. It is able to transcend negative feelings and negative circumstances. I know that I have sometimes fallen into the trap of trusting my feelings more than I trust God. I don't feel at peace, so I must not be. That had me in knots for years. But finally, I've realized that God's peace is constant, even when my feelings go up and down. In other words, God's peace is there even when I'm not able to feel it. The Bible clearly promises a peace that passes all understanding. I've had to learn to take Him at His Word and trust that regardless of how I feel. I won't tell you it's easy. It's not. It's a long, slow, uphill battle. It's a battle I haven't completely won yet. But I agree, our peace and joy will be complete in Heaven. When went to college from 1997-2001, I became very close friends with the leader of my dorm Bible study freshman year. I used to come early and we would just talk. She helped me through some really tough times during those years and is my friend to this day. I had a really rough semester second semester freshman year. I was mildly depressed and was having major roommate issues. This friend of mine learned to read me very well. I saw her in the hall one day and she could tell I was struggled. She told me to come down her room an hour before bible study and we could talk. Once I got there, I just broke down. I just started crying and just sharing with her. I was amazed to discover that my friend was crying with me. I remember asking her "Are you crying for me?" What she said to me that day has stuck with me. She said "Do you have any idea how many times I've cried for you after talking with you? I've done it so many times." That made me feel incredibly guilty. I told her I was sorry I'd made her cry. She said "I didn't tell you that to make you feel guilty. It's just my way of showing you how much I care about you." Then she said something else that has stuck with me. She said "Life was never meant to be trudged through, just trying to make it through another day. God wants us to have peace and joy." This person is one of the wisest and kindest people I know. She supports me 100% and I know that she is always there for me. Even though we don't see each other very often, we do keep in touch via e-mail. I got together with her a few months back and I do have her cellphone number. She is such a blessing to me. I hope and pray that God will bring someone into your life who will show you that type of love and friendship. I have been truly blessed with some truly wonderful friends. This is actually 1 of several people like this I have in my life. I read somewhere once that if you have one true friend in your lifetime you are truly blessed. I have several. It blows my mind and I thank God for the people He has placed in my life every day.

Thank you for being so vulnerable and so open about your struggles and questions. It makes the rest of us feel less alone in our struggles and questions as well. I am also glad that you are able to be totally honest with God as well. That is such a powerful thing. That is something I have struggled a lot with. I went a lot of years feeling like I had to edit what I said to Him. But over the last couple of years, God has been pushing me to be completely honest. He has reminded me that He is big enough to handle anything I can dish out. He wants us to share it all. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm glad we don't have to worry about confidentiality issues with God. That is such a great feeling. I truly hope that you get the breakthrough you are so desperate for soon. I know how it is to want change and deliverance so badly you can almost taste it. But it fails to come. But believe me, it will be more than worth the wait when it does come. Through my experience at the Walk to Emmaus, I've experienced more healing and deliverance than I ever thought possible. I know that God can do the same for you. But just remember, His timing is often much slower than ours. Just continue to trust Him.

Blessings!

Lms526
    [This Message was Edited on 05/03/2007]
  7. 143alan

143alan New Member

I just read your response to Sweetpotatoe and I had to say that I had a friend like the one you described and she was the one who really showed me who God was and what kind of relationship we should have with him. Her name was Pat and she never said she was a Christian and never had to. She practically glowed with the peace and spirit of God. She was an amazing person. All of her children ended up going into the mission field.

It is sooo important for every believer to have that someone special who helps them and they can rely on and trust. I also pray that God brings someone like that into Sweetpotatoe's life.

Thanks for sharing that.

Nancy
  8. 143alan

143alan New Member

It makes perfect sense to me! I pray you find that person to help you with your walk with Christ. It certainly helped me because I would never have gone back to Christ had it not been for her. The other thing that it taught me is that everyone responds to the calling of Christ in different ways. What attracts one person to God may repel another. Hell and damnation sermons never made me want to know God. I had been through enough hell and damnation right here on earth to want to hear about any more.

God knew I needed to be loved into knowing him, not persecuted. He also knew I had been through so much pain that I needed someone that was not going to hurt me. We never know what kind of impact we make on other people.

Take Care
    Love Ya
    Nancy
  9. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

Thanks to everyone who contributed. That wraps up the study for this week. I will post a new study on Monday. Have a great weekeend!

Blessings!

Lms526