APS, similar to TENS. Ineffective on FM patients.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Mar 1, 2007.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I was reading my email today, and this article was there. Thought it might be helpful.

Action Potential Simulation Ineffective in Fibromyalgia Patients

According to researchers at the Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, The Netherlands, an increasingly popular method of pain reduction did not have any affect on the 10 fibromyalgia patients they studied (Clinical Rheumatology, 2007 Mar;26(3):322-9). Action potential simulation (APS) is a form of microcurrent electrical stimulation which is hypothesized by its proponents to works by stimulating neurons which may replenish the cell's pain energy source (ATP). It has not been widely researched for the treatment of pain but is similar in many ways to the commonly used TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) unit. The study aimed to investigate "whether APS helps to reduce pain, improves patients' perception of daily functioning and social participation in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS)."

The patients were treated twice with APS, for four weeks each time. One of the four-week sessions was with APS and another with a placebo. The researchers measured their outcomes weekly, primarily focusing on their pain levels and tender points.

No positive results of the APS treatment were found. It did not reduce pain or improve patients' perception of their daily functioning. In fact, researchers were surprised to find that the placebo APS had significantly better results than the real APS treatment.
  2. RicksChic

RicksChic New Member

Personally, I use a TENS for specific nerve pain sites or muscle injury sites...and it helps very well. Especially with the nerve pain. It takes a good half hour, but will usually thwart the pain, that would otherwise last all day and night.

To use it on my general fibro pain would require a body suit made of the the electrode material, and then, I don't suspect it would help anyway!

So, I definately consider the TENS unit a great asset in my "Fibro Tool Box"!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2007]
  3. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Totally agree!

After seeing recommendations on this board, I bought one.

I quickly realised that it does not work on FM pain which I believe, is caused by haywire pain neurotransmitters sending random pain messages.

It can work for secondary referred pain (the pain you get from tensing muscles when you are in pain in that area).

Apparently if you have chronic myofascial pain (different type of pain to FM pain), then it does work on that.

So I would say - know the type of pain you are treating before forking out on one!