Aqua Therapy places in the DC area??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by YiuTaiTai, Sep 10, 2008.

1. YiuTaiTai

YiuTaiTai New Member

Anyone know of a good place in NoVa where I could re-start my aqua therapy?

Also, what about doctors? I hate finding new doctors, but we just moved to the area and I need med refills!! =-\
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

3. victoria

victoria New Member

Aqua Therapy? Curious as to how it's helped you... and how long you've been doing it?

Have you tried googling it for the DC area?

all the best,
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

You may be in luck!

There is an excellent NoVa support group that has a huge list of resources. Check it out:

If you can't find your answer on the website, you can always email one of the leaders.
  5. YiuTaiTai

YiuTaiTai New Member

similar to physical therapy. It is done in a "therapy" pool, which means that the water is kept very warm. Up to 91deg, I think. It's like doing a workout in bath water.

The motion of water is very soothing, while at the same time, the water provides resistance. The buoyancy of water is beneficial, too. I always feel like I weigh 50lbs more when I get out of the pool, but it is soooo worth it.

I did my aqua therapy with a PT who knows alot about Fibro, and she taught me all of the exercises that I would need to know, so that when I do the therapy on my own, I'd know what I was doing.

For your Google suggestion, tried it. Google can be very helpful, but it can also just confuse things. :(
  6. YiuTaiTai

YiuTaiTai New Member

Mezombie, you ROCK!!
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Hi, I have found warm water therapy so helpful.

My doctor referred me to a PT trained in warm water therapy. I was so impressed that she knew so much about ME/FM.

The goal of the therapy was to get me ready to be in a regular water exercise class. They even wrote me a note to get a discount at the place where you can get WWT.

For $30/month it is well worth it. It is really helping me tone my muscles and lessons the chance of having PEM.

This does not give you the name of a doctor but wanted to let you know that this is certainly well worth exploring.

Take care.

8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Great minds think alike. Our posts must have passed each other in cyberspace, LOL!!

Good luck and let us know if you find a place.

The 91 degree water feels so good. At the same time, you can get a real workout.

At the place I go to, they have an underwater treadmill which is powered by water pressure!!

9. luvtusew

luvtusew New Member

I found that aqua therapy places were very expensive. The alternative I found helpful was to find a city indoor pool that offers aquatic therapy for arthritis. The one I found was in Huntington Beach CA. but there may be one in your area. The cost was $65 dollars for 6 weeks and they also offered free swim times. The other thing they offered was various classes according to your ability.

Good Luck