aqua therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by najerry, Apr 18, 2006.

1. najerry

najerry New Member

A new rheumy sent me for water physical therapy. I went for the first time yesterday. She was very gentle. So much that I really didn't think I was doing anything. I can't move!!! I was up all nite with knee pain and that over all achiness. I'm supposed to go again tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'll be able . Has anyone tried this. It's just very slow movement in the water. The water is supposed to move you.
  2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I am a certified aquatics instructor.

Water is a wonderful environment for us.

There are many factors which might feed into your all over stiffness and your knee pain, I will just mention a few and will relate this to my experience since I have had fibro for 25 years and have worked out in the water that long.

You and I and folks here on the board will have a different response to exercise....no matter which environment we "exercise" in.

Movement in the water whether passive or active is STILL moving the joints, tendons, muscles, fascia.

As fibrofolk, movement can induce a flaring of achiness and pain.

Factors that entered into your session may be, how long were you in the water, what was the water temperature, what was the intensity or duration/reps of the movements.

We actually have to find our fine line.....and fine it is.... I have found walking into a warm pool is WONDERFUL, but when I "work out" I may flare because I have not had the benefits of the cooler water keeping the temperature in my muscles down.

If the water to too cold, walking into the water will cause a stiffening-tightening of the muscles, then when I start to move, I feel as though I am damaging these stiff muscles.

You can find that fine line.

Exercising, passive or active, works similarly, you need to find the fine line.

Your therapist was gentle. I don't know how long you were in the water. You probably were not accustomed to moving your muscles in ways they were moved yesterday.

My "gut" feeling is you should expect some soreness today and while it does not have to be the case when you are further into your program, I would not be discouraged to feel this way today or after subsequent sessions.

It will be interesting to see how you feel tomorrow. If you do NOT have a decrease in the overall achiness, then maybe you either need to have a shorter session, or even a little less movement.

Talk to your therapist of course, and explain how you felt. Do not be discouraged.

Your knees might be a different story, simply, you might have arthritis in your knees and you were more active in the pool that usual.

Or coming back to fibro and repetitive motions; we do not do well the next day when we have undertaken a repetitive motion we are not accustomed. (Years ago I woke up not being able to move my right arm, was sent to the ER, end result after rheumatologist consultation.....I had raked leaves the day before, being right-handed, that was the arm that worked the harder). It is possible that your knees were simply the joint that moved the most even though the exercises were different.

So HANG IN THERE. ABSOLUTELY go to your session tomorrow.

Good for your for doing something to improve your muscle tone and strength. You will experience less fatigue with movement as time goes on and will experience a general sense of better(well)-being.

Fondly, June
  3. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

I started with water therapy, then went to a water arthritis class for a couple of months. When that got to where it wasnt doing it for me, I started water arobics.

I always hurt that night and the next day(today). I know this is helping to make me stronger so that I can handle the pain better. It gets me out of the house and with people which I need. I have a wonderful instructor at the YMCA and have made some great friends too

Suzette
  4. starmom

starmom New Member

Our Y pool is way too cold for me. I spasms severely after water exercise there. In the summer when the public pool is really warm, I can walk in it.

Susie
  5. juliejo

juliejo New Member

I too have had Fibro for over 20 odd years now like June.
    I can only re-iterate what June has put as i have been going weekly for nearly 2 year's now.
    The first time i went i could'nt move either the next day bit i persevered and found my own level.
    I now just to very gentle walking in the water, which must be warm or else i pay for it big time.

I only stay on for about 30mins if that and if i start to feel tired i immediatley get out.
    I alway's have a hot shower afterward's too and complete rest for the rest of the day and the day after.

I can only manage 0nce a week and that is still nearly 2 year's on so take your time.

Hope this helps.
    Julie jo.
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

The man who owns the company I work for also owns the local exercise place. After you have worked here a year you can go there at no charge.

I will meet my one year on May 9, and plan to start using the pool there on May 10!

A few years ago I went there for water aerobics but had to stop because I just couldn't afford it. I am really excited to get back to it.

I used to swim laps, but I'm not going to try that yet, just easy work, walking and swishing my arms through the water to start.

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  7. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

It is one of the easiest forms of "exercise" for me! You just feel so weightless and free. Yes, you will have some pain as already mentioned and you can over do it, but just start out slow. It's so worth the results.

Gosh! Even though I'm here in Arizona, I can't get into my pool all year round - gets too cold! Unable to go to a gym because of the drive, etc. Maybe I'll work on getting a solar heater (play lotto...play lotto...)

Hang in there and good luck!

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  8. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    I love my aqua therapy! The first time I did it I really over did because I did to much at first. Now I watch what I do and try not to over do because it's so easy to do.

I find I can do so many things in the pool that I just would never do otherwise. Limit your time at first. Do 15 min. and than slowly work up to a point where your not overdoing.

If your careful, I think you'll find aqua therapy very rewarding. listen to your body, and don't let someone push you to far to fast.

Good luck!
    K.
  9. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I order bathing suits from H20. This manufacturer also makes leggings (from bathing suit material) and jackets.

I always wear my pants as I am very sensitive to the temperature of the water...and as an instructor, many times I am teaching from the deck, so this is a modesty issue.

Of course on the days you really don't feel like shaving, the pants are also a blessing.

The items are a bit pricey..

HOWEVER, they last so long. I teach four to five classes a week, I wear bathing suits usually from TJMAXX or discount stores for $20 and rotate them during the weeks. But I always wear those pants and GUESS what, the bathing suits which were not worn but 1/3 of the time the pants were, are long gone........having to buy new.

I am going to buy a suit from H20, I like the coverage they have, its just putting out that initial money... I know in the long run I will be saving.

Fondly, June
  10. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Did you have another aquatic therapy session yet?

June
  11. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

I have tried a certified Watsu therapist. This felt really good to me. The Watsu sounds very similar to your water therapy, although in a Watsu treatment your therapist and the water do all the work of moving your muscles and joints. You can still get sore after a session, although I did not. My problem was that the water was too warm for me and I felt really drained afterward, like I had been in a hot bath too long. I also HATE getting water in my ears, so earplugs are a must for my next session.

There is a fine line, and I would encourage you to find it. It is delightful to stretch in the warm water, where it feels good instead of OWIE!

Make SURE that you communicate with your therapist. She should know that a fibro person will need to take it very slowly until you find a level that you can tolerate. The key is finding that place where you can progress, instead of pushing too hard and causing damage/pain.

Tibbie
  12. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I can only do warm water motion over 92-94 degrees. Cannot do the cold pool Best is the hot tub with no bubbles at 105 degrees which takes away much of my pain & aching muscles.

Coulod not do the water arobics class as it was too much splashing & water moving about which made me nauseated & dizzy. Cannot move about the water in circles, only side to side. Also found my shoulders were too hypermobile so I had to skip the arm movements. Now I do basic gentle walking in the water to not harm my lower back more than it already has been harmed.

find what is right for your body, your body will tell you.