Aquatherapy and FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dancingkatz, Dec 2, 2005.

1. dancingkatz

dancingkatz New Member

I'm new to this list and was wondering if anyone has had success with any form of aquatherapy in causing the major symptoms of FMS to remit.

I am currently in a flare following outpatient surgery and am trying to find something that will mimimize my pain without going back on narcotic ainkillers. A nurse at the hospital suggested aquatherapy as a way to get "back in shape" following the surgery.

Since I have to wait until the incisions heal before starting anything, I wanted to get input on what may have worked for other people. The stress of surgery set my symptoms off again and I need to get them quieted down ASAP or I'm not going to be able to go back to work (a desk job, thank goodness!) when my sick leave is up.

Thank you!

Dancingkatz
  2. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

I just started aqua therapy this week, so it's too soon to say what will happen.

The therapist did tell me that water aerobic activity is the best exercise for fibro patients and it's where they see the most improvement.

-Kathi
  3. maripat

maripat New Member

Three times a week I go to a gym that has a therapy pool (94 degrees) and exersize and do lapa for an hour.
    This probably helps most of all.
    maripat
  4. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

I used to go to a local heated pool for acquatherapy - it was great. I really enjoyed it and it make me much more flexible. It specialized in rehabilitation and had hydrotherapy classes, aqua-aerobics for the oldies (I was not up to that standard) and even aqua pilates. I used to just go when I could and do the exercises the physio. had given me and splash around. It was sooo lovely to just be able to float in, and be supported by, warm water.

However, I developed a sensitivity to the chemicals, even though it was a low chemical pool. I had to give it up but I really miss it.

I really hope you have luck with it, but try to get to a appropriately heated pool, because the cold water can do more harm than good. And just don't push too hard too fast.

5. dancingkatz

dancingkatz New Member

I really appreciate your input. I'm searching out a warm-water pool in my area. I'll make sure to let you know how it goes.