Arabinogalactan Immune Supplement

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Has anyone ever tried this supplement? If so, what were your responses? (Knowing if you have CFS and/or FM would be a big help, of course.)

Any other comments would be appreciated too!

This is from the Pure Encapsulations web site:

Arabinogalactan
    Immune support fiber

* Arabinogalactan, or AG, is a fermentable fiber found in high concentrations in North American larch trees. It is also the active constituent of echinacea. AG has potential to support immune cells involved with the body's first line of defense and to promote cytokine production, the communication and signaling pathway of immune cells. Research conducted at the University of Minnesota revealed that AG stimulated immune cells with a higher capacity than echinacea. In several university studies at major U.S. institutions, AG promoted immune cell function at a dose of 1.5 grams per day in humans. A recent, randomized 4-week trial in healthy adults suggested that AG also potentiates the complement system, another mechanism of defense in the body. Animal and human studies also indicate that AG supports a healthy environment for the liver and colon. In the colon, AG enhances the growth of the friendly microflora lactobacillus and bifidobacteria. Antioxidants, such as vitamin C, may support arabinogalactan activity.

Arabinogalactan is an immunomodulatory fiber that activates specific immune system cells and maintains healthy microflora levels, an additional factor in supporting optimal immune function.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I don't think I've heard of it before, but really interested since it's the active ingredient apparently in ecchinacea...

Have you tried it yet?

Victoria

3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

No, I'm still trying to decide whether to buy some. There are only so many experiments I can do aat once, money concerns aside. :)
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Plus if you do too many things at once, something I've been prone to do, you'd have no idea what was doing what - either good OR bad! But let me know if you do end up trying it, I may try it at the sign of a cold and if I do, I'll post...

and bumping up, hoping somebody HAS tried it!

best,
    Victoria

5. Catseye

Catseye Member

Arabinogalactan is the main ingredient in Ambrotose, which I take for immune support, energy and to alleviate detox symptoms. When I read too much and get "foggy" and "yucky" (like from spending too much time on this board!!), I pop some of this and feel better right away. It's expensive but I love it and will continue to use it.

happy xmas!

karen
  6. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

and proven to raise NK cell counts and increase cell to cell communication.

The library here has had articles with favorable
    remarks. Some doctors have used them in neonatal
    infant care and with other diseases , such as lyme disease.

You do not have to buy the mannatech product necesssarily . I think the glyconutrients are NOT empty hype, there is solid science behind them if you research
    and there are books written on the subject .
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

This stuff sounds promising in a variety of ways--NK cell activity and immune cells in general, growth of probiotics, NK cell activity, decrease in herx symptoms, lymph movement, helps liver and colon.

That's a _lot_ to promise, though. I'm not sure what to think of it.

Upon reflection, I would think that the increasing NK cell activity and decreasing herx symptoms would be a paradox. If NK cell activity goes up, shouldn't more bugs be killed (and herx symptoms increase)?

Anyway, I took 2 capsules of the Ambrotose today. For a few hours after that, I felt better than before I took them (and a bit better than usual). Average energy, maybe somewhat more clearheaded.

Then I started feeling worse (headache, woozy feeling, very tired) and took a nap. This could just be the second round of my Famvir (an antiviral drug) kicking in though.

I like the idea of this supplement and will try it again. I also will try to look for that book, jam.

Thanks for all the info!
  8. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

1/4 teaspoon daily because the ambrotose is so powerful and the herx symptoms are so intense .

I truly believe it helps the body use meds more efficiently fighting infections ( antivirals and antibiotics ) . I am on ABX for lyme, and I had to lower the ABX dose for a while with the ambrotose because the die off of toxins was so much more intense (!!!) with even a small bit of ambrotose . Other lyme patients report the same effect .

I think it would be great for anyone using antiviral drugs also, or for those just wanting to strengthen the immune system.
  9. Catseye

Catseye Member

I don't think guar gum has all 8 of the glyconutrients, though. You can make a cheap blend yourself with stuff like guar gum and bovine or shark cartilage and kelp and some other stuff. Here's how:

http://www.burnoutsolutions.com.au/glyconutrients.htm

I'd just as soon take the ambrotose, though. The tub will last a long time and come out cheaper than some of my other supplements.

happy xmas!

karen
  10. Catseye

Catseye Member

Actually, I only tried it because on remedyfind.com and some other pages I had read many people had good results with it, especially an increase in energy. I'm not too interested in how they advertise as long as the stuff does something to make me feel better. Any idea how it relieves my brain fog and makes me feel better then if it isn't because of glyconutrients? I'd like to know some more about it if you have a page to look at.

thanks!

karen
  11. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

This happens so much in the suppliment industry. I think that these firms cater to people who do not really know what they want or need except relief from whatever it is that is bothering them. Some others are just plain guilable <sp> I assume some suppliments are good but there are many companies out there with false marketing. I was reading about BHI of New Mexico last night. They were advertising that 50 or so of their products were for treating serious disease, even cancer. The government made them stop. That was in 1983. Then in 1992 they got "caught" by the government again for false and misleading claims. I have to wonder how many people have died from believing in this stuff....
  12. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Arabinogalactan (Larch) is one of the ingredients in
    the FFC's UltraCeuticals brand supplements, Leuko-Stim.
    6 capsules supply: Olive Leaf Extract (400 mg), Beta 1,3, Glucan (500 mg.), Aloe Vera (100 mg) & some maitike mushroom extract and powder (230 mg). Leuko-Stim is one of their pricier supplements @ $73 -- 180 capsules.

I know I can buy the ingredients separately for a much better price elsewhere. OLE is about $10 a bottle in the online store here. I NEVER had a herx reaction to Leuko-Stim but I do with 250 mg. of OLE. I have both CF & FM.

I was told that this supplement would stimulate the production of NK cells. When I started at FFC in March, Quest Labs had suspended the use of the NK blood test. I wish I would have been able to get a better picture of my killer cell activity before FFC vs. after FFC treatment.
  13. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I recently had my NK Cell activity and some other immune measures tested by ImmunoSciences. I bumped up my thread with the info to the top of the board for you to take a look at.

My doctor really likes this company, and I found the test very informative.

That sounds like a lot of money for the leukostim now that you describe what's in it.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that Jolie got a mild herx from this product. You might look for her thread on her Valtrex progress and ask her about it.

I myself have used the arabinogalactan (aka Ambrotose) for the past two days and got a very big herx from it. It's definitely doing something, therefore. I may postpone using it further until I kill of a larger chunk of viruses with the Famvir I'm currently on, however.

I agree that Ambrotose is overpriced and am not crazy about the way in which they market it, but that does not mean that the substance that's in it is a fake too.

The fact that other more reputable companies now are selling arabinogalactan, that it's listed in the PDR, and that at least some studies suggest that it does have effectiveness lends further support to that possibility.
  14. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

much more cheaply elsewhere - larix powder ( larix decidua) . I doubt ambrotose by mannatech is the ONLY
    source . I have seen it elsewhere for cheaper price .

And yess , it causes a humdinger herx !

I do believe it raises NK cell counts , as the studies have indicated .

I have NEVER Heard any claims about it being a fiber product by ANYONE .

For more info , check out " larix ' or "western larch "
    at Alternative Medicine Reviews .
    [This Message was Edited on 12/26/2006]
  15. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

What kind of a herx have you gotten or heard from it?

I've been taking it for three days. My response is to become really sleepy (generally needing a nap for an hour or two) and to get very congested (needing to blow my nose a lot). This lasts for about five hours and then fades away.

Does this sound at all consistent with what you might expect?

Pure Encapsulations (the website mentioned at the top of the thread) is a supplement brand sold mostly through doctor's offices (although I think you can get it from Web retailers too). At full price, their product maybe half the cost of Mannentech's. The last time I saw Pure Encapsulations advertised on the Web, they were stating they had a 25% discount, which would make it even less expensive.
  16. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Mike--

What have your experiences with astralagus been?

Do you think it's reasonable to take astralagus and ginseng at the same time?

A Chinese doctor in SF recently told me that I was overly yin and gave me some astralagus. I'm not sure what to expect, though.

I've not had any bad experiences with ginseng (Panax or American), but that doesn't mean it's right for me. What do you mean by it "burning" you?

Thanks!