Are all Garlic Supplements Created Equal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Dec 8, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I have been looking at many different garlic supplements and wonder if they really can be compared to each other.

For the main ingredient, some list Standardized Garlic Extract and some say Garlic Powder. Some even say garlic oil. Many mention Allicin yield or Allin yield. Odorless or enteric coated are also big claims on the no-stinky-burps front. Some are 100 mg, some are 600 mg, but since the source is different, can they be compared?

Eating straight up garlic cloves is not a realistic option for me. I like fresh garlic, but I really prefer the convenience of a pill.

What should I be looking for? Is comparing garlic supplements to each other like comparing apples and oranges? And is there really a difference between the cheap stuff and the expensive stuff?

Thanks!
    Katy

2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I started off with a cheapie bottle of Schiff garlic. They are listed as 100 mg. Started with 1 softgel for a couple of weeks. When I went up to two, I got a mild immune response--fluish symptoms. Same thing happened when I went from 2 to 3. So now I am taking 300 mg and I'm almost out of the Schiff.

Next I purchased Pro Health Super Garlic, which is 600 mg. I haven't taken any of those yet. I'm afraid going from 300 to 600 will be too big of a jump. Again, I'm not sure I can compare the two different brands.

I think I may just go buy another bottle of Schiff and work my way up to 600 mg. Then when I switch to Pro Health, it would be more of an even swap.

Make sense?

Katy
  3. jane32

jane32 New Member

recommends Kyloic-600 mg. I just bought it today so I will let you know.
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

that are entric coated so they dissolve in the small intestines. 100mg, taking 2/day right now. Haven't noticed anything. They don't make you smell like garlic and you don't burp garlic either.
  5. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

From a pharmacist's point of view, I would go for the one that says standardized garlic extract, in my opinion they are usually the best.

Phoebe
  6. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

I bought two different kinds.

Kyolic - several different kinds - I bought the ones that have a small amount of digestive enzymes in them.

Solaray - Garlicare.

Can't totally put my finger on why, but I seem to tolerate the Kyolic ones better. I've been taking quite a bit as I'm trying to prevent getting a cold or the flu.

I haven't noticed any garlic smell or garlic burps from taking them.

peach
    [This Message was Edited on 12/10/2005]