Are all of us loosing our teeth to this disease or whats up???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelby319, Apr 12, 2007.

1. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

I'm soooo mad after I just got back from my dentist once again and need another tooth pulled!! I had the same problem not more than two months ago now, and low and behold, my dentist took some x-rays today and it showed another decayed tooth right in the front, that either needs a root canal or have it pulled before it gets any worse!!

I know I've seen others talk about their teeth here and having problems also. But this is getting very annoying to say the least. I mean I just had this other tooth pulled and had a bone graft done, hoping I could have an implant done later on, but then decided against it seeing the odds are against me with this disease.

Then along comes this news today that another tooth needs to come out or have a root canal done, and theres no guarantee the root canal will work and its alot of money again to have it done. So, its probably better to have it pulled and where a fake tooth..one of those teeth with a flipper on it?/! You know what that is? Its terrible and I hate it, as it feels funny on the roof of my mouth.

What causes all these problems with our teeth? Is it the disease itself or the medications we're taking to help control it? I'm so lost for answers now and we are talking about alot of money again to fix this!! I think sometimes I just want them all pulled out, as I'm sure down the road somewhere another tooth will go bad and I'd be back to where I started with more pulling of teeth!! UGH!!

Does anyone have any help or imformation for me to help me understand this dilemma or what I'm doing wrong if anything??? Can it really be this fibro or just the fact that I'm getting older, or perhaps stress plays alot into it too!!

My husband is going to hit the roof when I tell him this new report on my tooth job!! And the money it will cost, which we can't afford!

I would appreciate any feedback that might calm me down some, seeing I'm about to scream with thinking whats next, or what else can go wrong!!!!!

Gentle hugs,
    Shelby
  2. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Personally, I would go to the dentist as a child and come home with 6 cavities at a time - sometimes. And I was taken twice a year, just like you are supposed to go. So, I would not point the finger at medications.

I have continued to have major problems with my teeth. I'm afraid to go back to the dentist right now, but need to desparately. My insurance will go into effect on Sunday, so at least I can go soon. My kids and husband also need to go in a hurry-husband & son have never been - ever.

I do have to say, knowing how far back the problems with my teeth go (I'm only 27, and I know I will have false teeth before I'm 45) I definitely know that this started long before the car accident in 1998, when my pain got absolutely unbearable.

Anyways, just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain!!

Take care,

Leanne
  3. 4peas

4peas New Member

I know what you mean, same problem here. I've lost so many back teeth due to abcesses, got a couple of root canals, not cheap, then the teeth broke off before I could afford a cap.
    In my case, I guess my parents didn't take me to the dentist early enough, so all my molars had really big fillings, the tooth really just a shell, then a few years ago those teeth began to decay beneath the fillings.
    What I do wonder however is this: Did all those mercury amalgam fillings contribute to my fibro?
    I recently saw that there is a bill before Congress to eliminate metal fillings due to the mercury content. Of my 4 children, 1 is autistic, 1 is ADD, 1 had developmental problems and was helped by Infant Intervention. Also, 2 of the 4 are on antidepressants and my 10 yr old daughter has the tender points and some stiffness of fibro.
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

If you use the search box and look up teeth or dental problems,...... I bet ALOT of those posts are mine!!!
    LOL
    I'm not alone thats for sure but I have had my share & more of teeth troubles! Last yr I went for a cleaning and exam and was told I had 8 bad teeth!!
    3 needing root canals & crowns. All the others just fillings.(one extraction) I'm STILL getting the work done!!
    Its taking forever.
    This disease has got to be a big part of it!??
    I'll need a partial of 4 teeth on one side soon to.
    But i'm afraid because I've heard that many people hate the slipping or movement of the partial so they end up wanting full dentures very soon anyways~
    I hate the thought of fake teeth! :(
    but I almost have no choice.
    I bet it will happen within a few yrs.
    I'm bummin hard.
    So,..I know how you feel hun~
    I wish I could help us both :)
    Best of Luck~
    Tandy
  5. Engel

Engel New Member

this is terrible.
  6. 4peas

4peas New Member

Dreading the thought that I may end up with dentures, I feel like an old woman even though I am only 47. My mil told me you have to take them out overnight; omg! I can't let my hubby see me like that! If I sound vain, I don't mean it that way, I really am horrified at the idea!
  7. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

I have had a herific time with my teeth..seems like so many of the nerves to them have died and I have had rootcanals and done great after them..I tried to keep my teeth..it is expensive but so worth it. as a footnote..I know I have had mercury posioning as I had 13 mercury fillings my senior year in highschool. There were a hand full of others to follow in the years to come. I to have have 3 children, all who have had depression at one time or another, my daugher has had some fibro symtoms and my youngest suffered from ADD and is now a freshman failing at school and may have to do freshman year over. The oldest is a smart cookie making straigth A's and is in Chiropractic medical school.
  8. kevieb

kevieb New Member

have any of you been tested for celiac disease? it can cause dental enamel problems and it can cause fibro symptoms. just a thought. 3 of my children have celiac disease. i tried gluten free for a month and it did not help my fibro, but i don't have celiac disease, either. i have a friend that was diagnosed with fibro and eventually was diagnosed with celiac disease----her fibro symptoms are gone now that she is gluten free.
  9. darude

darude New Member

I have to have dentures now as I have lost too many teeth. its awful and have been without front teeth for awhile cannot beleive this
  10. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Shelby - I have always had dental problems but since being diagnosed with FMS it has gotten much worse. I had a recent front tooth break and had to get it repaired the same day and still have a broken tooth that needs pulled and need a root canal ASAP or I will lose this tooth also.

My dentist said I should consider looking into dentures but I am not for that at 37 years old. She said I am looking at $30,000 to fix my teeth and then they might not last another ten years.

Hugs,
    Carolin
  11. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I thought I'd do a search and see if anyone else had this problem. Ha.

I'm 63 and have only had CFS for a year. My teeth have always been pretty bad, but nothing like this. I was sent to this guy to have a tooth fixed, but he says it has to go, and there are 10 more with so much decay they need immediate help from my regular dentist. I'm a little skeptical of my dentist right now, but this periodontist is really a brilliant man.

He said that dry mouth changes the ph so much that one particular bacteria just has a field day. The irony is that my gums are in great shape. He wrote a prescription for antiseptic mouthwash. It can't be used indefinitely, it stains teeth. I think I use it daily for a week, then 3 weeks off, then a week on, etc. He wrote a prescription for fluoride gel to use daily after brushing. He suggested that I get the red pills kids use to show them what plaque is still present after brushing, because there is a lot of it in my mouth. He wanted me to come in for personal hygiene coaching. With this particular bacteria exploding, we all need much better hygiene that normal. When I asked if I should brush more often, he said no, because if you are missing it when you brush, it doesn't matter if you miss it 4 times a day or once. You just have to relearn to brush more effectively. Much more effectively. Heck, I use a Sonicare already.

Like I said, I'm in my 60s. I never had hygiene issues, and I'm having to reassure myself it's the disease, not my personal failure.

I'm sensitive to gluten (and milk, eggs, soy, yeast). Getting all this food out of my diet is really hard and really time consuming. Everything we eat is cooked from scratch now, but I do have some hope of overcoming my cfs.

I've also just started on thyroid meds. Maybe my salivary glands weren't working well with low thyroid levels. The periodontist said dryness could be from meds, or it could be the disease.

At least it's just my teeth. I could be losing far more vital body parts. Yeah right, that's supposed to make me feel better.
  12. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

I also started having real problems with my teeth shortly after I came down with the fibro. One tooth almost killed me (infection that led to bacterial menegitis). Then they said I had lots of problems with my gums. Tooth scaling, 3 root canals...all of this was within 2-3 years.

But then, just by accident, I discovered that I have food intolerances to wheat and corn. Since I'm on a 3-month cycle with my dentist, and since I was experimenting a lot to figure out what food was causing my other fibro symptoms, I finally realized that when I stayed away from the wheat and corn, my dentist would compliment me on how well I was doing with my teeth and gums. Then, when I added back these foods to my diet, my dentist would frown and tell me I must not be taking care of my teeth. Funny thing was, I was treating my teeth exactly the same way all along, but I had changed my diet.

I have no idea why this would happen, but others having problems with teeth now, especially if they didn't before getting sick, might try an elimination diet to see if they have any food intolerances. For me it helped a lot more than my teeth to eliminate wheat and corn.
  13. netnut

netnut New Member

I had great teeth as a child. My teeth have gone downhill since I started getting sick in my late 20s and early 30s. Now that I started on meds in my late 30s my teeth are awful. I am losing teeth now. They constantly hurt and are getting weak.

I think part of mine is medication induced because Im on meds for bipolar.
  14. coolma

coolma New Member

Had restorative work done in the past two years, root canals done, teeth pulled, and the teeth where the root canals were done are hurting again! It is endless.

Thank you for the heads up - I would have never connected it to fibro, but I think you are all right. Any research to confirm, ANYWHERE? Very interested.
  15. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I've had serious and untreated tooth problems for years.

Mine also are due to having almost all my early-adulthood fillings break down and fall out along with huge chunks of tooth (molars).

I can't think of an acceptable answer. My 80-something father has just spent the last of his cash trying to hang onto his teeth, and there still seems to be no end in sight for him.

Oddly, my affected teeth (stumps) don't hurt. That probably indicates dead nerves! Fortunately, I can even still chew ok.

Here's something to research, though. XYLITOL. It is suppossed to even have abilities to re-mineralize teeth. Since it's the only thing I CAN do, I chew Trident gum off and on all day (and you really do need to chew it a LOT, and on a REGUAR bsis for it to be helpful).

There's LOTS on the web about Xylitol, so look it up. The following is a bit I've copied from studies about the abilities of Xyrem-containing gum to possibly be helpful. I can't afford the pure Xylitol gum, (which you'd find in health store) but I figure the Xylitol found in Trident couldn't hurt.

Other than scrupulously flossing, I don't know what else to do. Oh, probably I should avoid white carbos, as those are TERRIBLE for the teeth, as they promote the growth of the specific bacteria that sets up decay.

Best luck to all
  16. kevieb

kevieb New Member

i brush my daughter's teeth with xylitol drops at night. you might be able to buy the gum from an orthodontist without it cositing an arm and a leg.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/12/2007]
  17. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

A little research turns up dry mouth as a major marker for Sjogren's Syndrome, another autoimmune condition.

In general, it looks like when you have autoimmune problems, the salivary glands are likely to be involved.

There are drugs for dry mouth, but they have 'significant' side effects. There are special toothpastes and maybe mouth washes at the drug store.
  18. 4peas

4peas New Member

Can you tell me any more about this? I am the only person I know of that takes a drink with me everywhere I go because my mouth stays so dry. I also use chapstick quite a few times a day. Thanks for any info! Lee
  19. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I just went thru the same thing.My whole face was hurting during the holidays.I had a bad tooth on each side of my mouth.They pulled one and now wanna do a root canal on the other.
    Now for me that ain't an option.I have no shame in saying,I am scared to death of the dentist!!!! I was able to sit thru the fist tooth being pulled,it took all of five minutes and I didn't feel a thing.But the root canal they say could be an hour or more.I'd be full into a panic attack by then and I don't even have panic attacks.So I gotta find a dentist that will knock me out and pull whatever needs pullin and I'll worry about replacements later.I may have a problem chewing afterwards cause mine are in the back,but hey maybe I,ll lose some weight,and I can surely stand to do that.
  20. rosie92

rosie92 New Member

I am losing my teeth, too! I also have dry mouth, which I am told helps rush up the decaying process. Our bodies are indeed going through these changes; I even have a problem with trigeminal nerosis...painful electric zapping in the jaw, teeth, eyeball and cheekbones. most of the time it is a pulsing, slow electric current through the tooth or mouth; sometimes, I will also get zapped. It gets triggered at the denist office, but other things do it, too.
    I just spent two days and have one more to go in the dentist's chair. two years ago, I spent three days a week for over two months in her chair...and $8,000. later, my mouth was "better". BUT now, I am starting over. and GUM disease! I have THAT, too.

BUT I have found a lot of us (like myself) have other illnesses along WITH fms and cfs. I have about eight diseases in all, inclduing scleroderma, thyroid disease, m.s. suspect; also rayndaud's diabetes, and some others like lichen sclerosis which has lead to cancer...and I bet a lot of you suffer from esophogeal problems, like I do, too!