Are Body Aches What You Refer to as Pain ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jul 20, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am so confused as I don't seem to have the pain you speak of with FM, but I do have body aches, especially my legs, upper part.

Then at times my whole body aches, like deep to the bone aches. It varies from place to place on my body and from day to day.

My main problem is horrible fatigue, anxiety, depression and sinus/allergy.

I am thinking CFS instead of FM. I just knew it was my thyroid as I seem to have all the symptoms but labs are normal.

Does this sound like FM ?

2. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

I get a whole lot more than just body aches. When I refer to pain and fibro. I'm refering to the type of pain that makes you want to scream and cry. That leaves you unable to do or think of anything other than the pain.
    I also get an allover body ache that never seems to go away.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, the pain you speak of is what I think of as fibro as I have read about the pain from others.

That is one reason I so doubt my Dx of FM, I just seemt to have the horrible body aches, the fatigue, sinus, allergies, flu like symptoms.

Very seldom do I ever have a good day.

So sorry you suffer . I just see no light at the end of the tunnel.

God Bless,
  4. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Greatgran I have body aches and extreme pain sometimes at the same time.

I would say my main problem is pain but the fatigue is there with it. The more pain I have the more fatigue.

The littlest things can set off my pain. My pain is in the muscles~ stabbing, piercing, aching and electrical(my memory can't think of the rest right now)

I've officially been sick for 3 months now...although I do think I've had this many years in a reduced way but now this dd is trying to stay around and I would like it to leave.

IT's so frustrating to have all our tests come back normal isn't it.

Very gentle hugs, Susan

[This Message was Edited on 07/21/2008]
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

You can see how hard it is to diagnose our conditions. They're so very confusing, even to ourselves. I think the major difference between CFS and FM is, with CFS fatigue is the biggest factor, with FM pain is the biggest factor. Also, many CFS'ers have swollen glands and I think more fevers.

In my case, I don't get sick anymore but I suffer primarily with pain. I have aches all the time but the worst is the deep stabbing sharp pains. I also get neuritis which makes your body feel like it's on fire.

There are varying degrees of FM. I good doctor should be able to make the diagnosis. Thyroid problems certainly can cause muscle pain and fatigue. I also am hypothryoid but the pain is entirely different.

All the best,

6. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

it feels like my bones hurt. I ache or hurt really bad from my collar bone to my shoulders down my spine around my ribs, down the rest of my spine to my tailbone and hips. When they all hurt at one time it is horrifying. It makes me very foggy headed and all I want to do is lay around and sleep. Good luck and wish all well. Today for me is a really bad day:(

7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Greatgran!
    Sometimes my pain is incredible horrible body aches - but they are deep like you describe - to the bone. So it is an aching pain. (gosh it IS hard to describe isn't it?) My hips, legs ache, (bones), then muscles HURT, if it moves to my arms, that's it - I'm in huge trouble. This kind of body "ache" can land in my bed in tears wanting to be knocked out. I ask myself how much more can my legs hurt without something else being wrong????
    I am no wimp to pain. Now I also get a PAIN in my hips sometimes that I cannot walk -I do not have the strength and walking sends shooting pains.

So sometimes I guess my pain in painful aches.
    I never realized how many people can't even comprehend an ache. Think about it - or ask people. Most people don't even get aches (unless they're older and maybe have arthritis or some other condition)- but like my husband doesn't really know what an ache is. My Dad has never in his life had a headache - can you believe that? How lucky is he?? =)

I definitely have FM. - described as aches - leg aches way back to a child. I think you can have 'aches' with FM. Hence the beating references - or maybe we all have different perceptions?

My Fatigue comes and goes. I am always tired and sometimes it is debilitating, but I don't think it's as much as those with CFS. I recently went through a 5 day 'couldn't move' episode upon returning from vacation. I mean I could sit up, but that's about it. Is THAT normal?? I see my rheumatologist tomorrow and am going to ask.
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi GreatGran,

The pain I get feels just like very stiff muscles.

However, it's actually what's called "trigger point pain." If I press very hard in the areas where the stiffness is, I can find swollen tender knots.

Having someone push very hard on each of the knots can be very intense but get rid of a lot of the pain.

However, there can be dozens of knots, and so this can take a while.

Trigger point therapy (having a doctor use a syringe to inject little bits of procaine into each one) also can help. Acupuncture can be somewhat helpful, though not nearly as much.

THere's also a device called "Theracane" that's for this problem. It's sold on Amazon. I've not tried it, but people on this board seem to like it. The reviews on Amazon are really great. I'm going to buy one soon.

It seems there's a lot of toxins in those knots, since I get a big detox reaction if the knots have been worked on really hard. At minimum, you should drink a whole lot of water. My doctor also suggested a bath with eposom salts and baking soda to follow.

I don't know if this is the sort of pain you're talking about. It sounds more like it than fibro pain though.

(I wrote a thread recently asking sufferers what their pain feels like. THe consensus seemed to be "beaten up from the inside out" and "so sensitive that I can't bear the slightest touch." THat sounds different than what you have.)

I have CFS, definitely not fibro.

A quick litmus test: How do you feel when you take prescription drugs (of any sort)?

FM sufferers often are helped by prescription drugs, like painkillers or lyrica. I've not seen that they've been unable to take other drugs.

CFS sufferers seem not to do well on any drugs, or at least not on very many. THe exceptions seem to be ones that have anticonvulsant activity (e.g. Xanax, Klonopin, Lamictal).

I'd like to hear about your experiences with trigger point pain, if indeed this is what you have. I've not found a lot of talk about it on the board.

Best, Lisa
  9. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

My pain is so bad today that I can't seem to think straight and that is very frustrating, and my pain today is mostly in my arms, shoulders and head and feet.

I can take Tramadol for pain and it does help although it doesn't completely go away but it makes it alot more bearable for me.

The trouble I have is that I have to drive as it is summer and the kids have places to go and it's not always possible for me to carpool and I don't feel comfortable taking the Tramadol and then driving, so even more frustration for me.

I don't have a recheck with my doctor till early August, but I will have my list of questions and concerns ready.

I tried explaining pain to my dad and he didn't get it. I tried even telling him that to touch me is painful and my husband even forgets this sometimes and it sends me through the roof. My dad just said that is weird that it hurts for someone to touch you.

Oh well. At least my mom understands as she has dealt with migraines for a long time.

10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each for your input on your pain, sure hate we have to suffer with this.

Lisa, I am not sure about the tigger point pain. I do know that when my upper legs ache to the bone I do have knots that are tender to touch also my hips and outer thighs ache and there is one spot on my thighs that hurts to touch which comes and goes.

Speaking of medicine, I have found nothing that really helps except for xanax. Seems Meds just don't agree with me.

I have been to 3 rheumys which I was so dissapointed , one didn't believe in cfs and told me to do excerise and take tylenol. Exercise puts me to bed.

An antibiotic seems to help , it is given to me when I have a sinus infection. Not sure why, the doc says it helps with inflammation.

Right now I feel so achy , tried, nausated, weak, I couldn't even keep the greatgrans.

Have had my thyroid checked, been ck for lyme but haven't been to the doc in about a year so guess its time for a check up.

Usually I don't know anymore when I leave .

11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You have described my symptoms. A deep aching pain that reaches down to my bones. Mine also are more prominent in my upper legs and arms. It just sucks the energy out of me. I feel like I have the worse case of flu ever, with a raging temp. which turns out to be normal.

When my forearms and lower legs start aching, I know I am going into a flare.

As for the thyroid, have you had the complete panel. The TSH is unreliable and is more like a screening test. My doctor's have always had both tests done, as I was hyperthyroid at one time.

Thyroid problems increase dramatically after people reach fifty.

Good luck.

12. Sanddollar140

Sanddollar140 New Member

I have constant pain and fatigue which never gets better, only worse. Most of my pain is muscle pain in my middle/lower back and neck/shoulders. I also have a lot of hand pain, jaw pain, and most recently, left hip/buttock pain. (Also my tailbone) But I think I cracked that a couple of months ago. All my lab results are pretty normal except I have an elevated Rheumatoid Factor. My rheumy is doing tests to see what is going on with that. I have been suffering 2 years now, it all started with unexplained weight loss and increasing aches and fatigue. By the way, did anyone have mono in the past? I had it when I was 12 and was sick for month. Just curious. Gentle hugs for everyone.

13. greatgran

greatgran Member

About two years ago I had the thyroid panel, TSH, T3, T4 and thyroid antibodies, all normal so the doc says. Seems at one time there was a slight abnormal T3.

I do stay cold, temp sub normal all the symptoms so think I will have it rechecked.

This was all done by an endo. Think I will just go to my PC this time as I don't feel up to traveling out of town.

Thanks to all for your input,

BILLCAMO New Member

It is possible that you have both.

In my case , I started with CFIDS/ME. Somewhere along the line it "Morphed" to include FM. My DX to include FM occured after a Dr. did the "Tender Point Test".

Although I also had the "Trigger Point Test" for Myofacial Pain done and it was also "positive" , I don't have a DX for it.

Blessings ,

15. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Greatgran you mentioned having been to numerous doctors.

Just wondering if you know anyone in your area that has had a doctor that they would recommend for you .

I feel for you and instead of being cold all the time I'm hot alot with no fever. It doesn't help that I live in Texas and it's 102 here today.

Your grandkids picture is precious ~ I'm sorry you didn't feel up to watching them today because even on my bad days my kids can make me smile.

gentle hugs for you, Susan

16. maps1

maps1 Member

Was going to post similar question, I have that kind of pain plus and allover pain that feels like a million needle pricks inside my body.

I have been so sick the last few months that I have been basicly house bound.

This gets so bad that I do end up in tears. I see your reply from Canbrit about neuritis and went to look it up. Yippie finally have a name for one of my symptoms and a suggestion for easing them. Thank you Canbrit and Greatgran for this topic.

I have CFS no FM, none of my pain is muscle. The last two days I have tried with some succsess two tylenol and 11/2 clonazapam.

I have not had an even bearable day (other that the last two) since xmas. I think I could deal with the fatigue but can't deal with the constant body sickness.

Several years ago I was diagnosed with mycoplasma pneumonia so have gone back on the antibiotics, like you before diagnosis I was on occasional antibiotics and always felt so much better.

I don't think I have ever completed the 6months of antibiotics for myco so this time with my doctor's blessing I will do the six months.

He also strongly advocates that how the patient feels when taking something is more important than what the blood tests say.

Perhaps you could try the antibiotics for a while.

Hope you find something that helps.

17. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Try all of the meat on your bones, your flesh, your muscles seriously HURT. Add inflamed nerves all over your body to that. Add stiffness like rigor mortis all over your body. Then add extra aches to all the muscles, plus I get muscle spasms all over. And sometimes I get severe muscle cramps that will not release for awhile and when they do release the muscle is sore. Let's add the light and sound sensitivity pain. All this, is my every day living. Then add the days I get the colitis like stomach cramps on top. This is how I exist. It is hell. It is not every day aches and pains. It is very severe. I was suicidal again this week from the pain all over. Some days are worse than others. Some hours are worse than others. It's a nasty disease.
  18. jmq

jmq New Member

as far as ranges on a good being an ache...then on a bad day , it turns into a burning or shooting pain,...and then if it gets out of control its throbbing pain that makes you want to jump out a window...if you could!!!

My pain is body wide. joints, legs, neck, head, ...I think the only part of my body that doesnt hurt is my ears and...thats it!