Are Candida and leaky Gut Syndrome one and the same thing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shelbo, Feb 27, 2009.

1. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Any one know? Has anyone had experience of healing a leaky gut and seen improvements in their fatigue levels or chemical sensitivity? If so, do you have any specific books to rec?
    Thanks a lot, Shelbo =)
  2. smadavid

smadavid New Member

Candida is the yeast that causes leaky gut, if I understand it correctly. I'm working on cutting out sugars and gluten, but haven't seen a huge improvement yet...
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

They are not the same, but Candida can cause/contribute to leaky gut and i would imagine that leaky gut would not help candida.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2009]
  4. maps1

maps1 Member

I just picked up a perscription from my doc today for candida. When I first saw this doctor she did many tests and i had candida and myco plasma pnemoneau (sp)this was 4 or 5 years ago and have treated candida several times since then.

Have been seeing a naturapath for last couple of months and although some of my cfs symptoms have improved my gut has been really bad and most of the day my body hurts and am having so much time trying to get my brain to focus.

Maybe because my brain is not working i never tied it to leaky gut or candida until last night. I am feeling pretty stupid. I am having some blood work done on monday so wont take the drugs until after that. In the past I have seen a huge improvement in fatigue, brain function and digestive issues, just can't beleive i have let it go on so long.

I have several books one is the yeast connection by William Crook and another is Jacob Teitelbaum's from fatigued to fantastic. I can't concentrate enough to re-read either right now. I know the details of leaky gut but can't remember what the protocal for fixing it is.

I see my naturapath tomorrow and will ask her all this, she has been treating my liver, kidney and gallblader function which my regular doc said would be great to help with the die off.

Hope this helps some.

Just wanted to say that i am on all the required probiotics and have very little in the way of sugers, now bread is another problem, will have to go searching for that yucky yeast free bread.

regards
    maps
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2009]
  5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Candida is ONE potential cause of leaky gut. Actually any type of gut dysbiosis -- whether fungal, bacterial, viral or parasitic, can cause leaky gut. Most knowledgeable naturopaths recommend testing -- stool & other testing to sort out whether leaky gut is a factor in CFS/FM, and if so, what is the actual culprit. Candida is common, but so are the other invaders. Treating for Candida without testing is a sort of hit & miss approach, unless one has had recent thrush or other diagnosed forms of candidiasis.

In addition:

People born with predisposition to autoimmune disease (if you have a lot of AI disease in your family) may have a genetic predisposition to leaky gut. There is a gut chemical called Zonulin that is responsible for "gating" in the small intestine. People who are genetically primed to overproduce Zonulin have what is called, "tight junction dysfunction" (TJD) in the small intestine -- AKA another form of leaky gut. TJD is observable at the microscopic gut level in many people with MS, autism, Type 1 diabetes, and other AI diseases.

For more info on the above, you can search Zonulin, Fasano. Dr. Alessandro Fasano is a research gastroenterologist who is working to develop a pill to block Zonulin overproduction.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2009]
  6. maps1

maps1 Member

was exactly what my naturpathic doctor told me this morning

"Candida is ONE potential cause of leaky gut. Actually any type of gut dysbiosis -- whether fungal, bacterial, viral or parasitic, can cause leaky gut. Most knowledgeable naturopaths recommend testing -- stool & other testing to sort out whether leaky gut is a factor in CFS/FM, and if so, what is the actual culprit. Candida is common, but so are the other invaders. Treating for Candida without testing is a sort of hit & miss approach, unless one has had recent thrush or other diagnosed forms of candidiasis. "

So glad you posted as i could not remember exactly what she said. Her face took on a stunned look when I said i was going to take fluconcil, anyway going to put that off and up the natural stuff.

I get so sick from two on and she gave me three little pills to take and tonight has been amazing, will have to go back for more but i bet they are going to be hugely expensive.

interesting path though

regards
    maps