are CFS and FM rates on the rise?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I don't have an article on this, but I hope someone will. ((ty in advance, brainy researcher!))

I am wondering if the FM/CFS rate is on the rise. Are more people being diagnosed with it in recent years than were diagnosed with it in the past?

If so, why? Are more doctors becomming aware of an existing population? Or are more people becomming ill with these diseases? Has the number of people with the DD's remained fairly stable through the years?
    ((hugs)) Shannon
  2. mrpain

mrpain New Member

It is true that doctors, nurses, attorneys, policemen, and even athelets are getting it. In the last summer olympics, there was a swimmer who they kept talking about his cfs. One night he would win the Gold, and the next night he couldn't even participate.
  3. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Laura Hillenbrandt, the author of Seabiscuit, has CFS, as I recall.

I wonder if there are other celebs with this? I remember hearing something about Cher and some director guy... Hope we do get a famous face on this, like with Micheal J. Fox and Parkinson's disease, or Annette Funicello and MS.
  4. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i think cher actually had ebstein barr if i remamber my behind the music episodes corredtly.

i don't know if it is really that more people are actually coming down with cfs and fm now or if the medical profession is finally recognizing it and diagnosing it correctly.

it really would help to have a famous spokesperson though. that's it, one of us needs to become famous for someething, if we can find the energy (giggle).

rachel
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Keith Jarrett also had CFIDS. He is a famous jazz pianist. I heard that he had it bad for a couple of years, and then recovered somewhat.
  6. MSUgirl

MSUgirl New Member

I am new here. I have just been diagnosed (started feeling ill in April) and I went through Hurricane Katrina (MS Gulf Coast).
  7. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

but i am working on a new novel featuring a main character with cfs. i've self published in the past but have a few new connections that may finally lead to a proper publishing contract. doing my best to represent for us!

eddie
  8. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

I WAS TOLD THAT CHER WAS ILL WITH CFS FOR A YEAR AND WAS UNABLE TO WORK/SING !!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHOW
  9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I would like to know.Linda