Are Cold sores more common w/us ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, Dec 17, 2008.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hi guys~
    only in the last 2 yrs in my entire life have I gotten coldsores.
    Usually the upper lip,.. and always the same spot. What causes them?
    I asked my primary dr. the other day and he said 'sometimes just having a low immune system"
    But why now,..all of the sudden? I've had it flare up about 5-6 times over the 2 yrs.

2. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

I have had them most of my life. 73 years. Come and go. Mostly exact same spot on lower left lip. In recent (5? 15?) years, also in left eyebrow. CFS/CFIDS since Feb 8, 1991 had no effect on them. Selenomax MAY have helped. Didn't help CFS/CFIDS.
    Oral herpes, the visible symptoms of which are colloquially called cold sores, infects the face and mouth.
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

Very apreciated :)
    I started looking up cold sores on the internet and they almost always say they're a form of herpes simplex. ??
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Yes cold sores are a form of Herpes but not the sexually transmitted kind. As far as I know you are either susceptible to them or not, some people's systems just don't get them. I have never had one in my life, however friends of mine have and some of them get them all the time and some only get them periodically.
  5. stschn

stschn New Member

until the 6 months on Valcyte and now on Valtrex. During the first few months on Valcyte I could feel them start but they never broke through. Now after that and 10 months on Valtrex they are gone and all my viral titers are lower.