are flavored coffees bad for us?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lmn, Jul 22, 2003.

1. lmn

lmn New Member

hi!
    i know caffeinated, sugary beverages aren't good for us, but what about flavored decaf coffee? i like a good decaf iced french vanilla or hazlenut coffee, with splenda of course, but wonder if there's anything in it that's bad?

i'm trying like heck to avoid sugar and junk food and don't want to undo my progress.

thanks,
    lmn
  2. suz41

suz41 New Member

Hi Imn:

I understand about not wanting to give up everything for this DD, I still drink decaf coffee I just check and make sure that there is no chemical processes used in decaffenating the coffee. Check also to make sure that the flavoring is real and natural, most coffess from the better food stores or form a coffee house don't use as many preservatives. If your not sure I just ask . I'm not giving up my coffee even if it is decaffenated.
    Good Luck
    Suz
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Most processed foods contains things which can be neurotoxins for us. There is chlorine in the Splenda and that's not good. Stevia is the only really safe sweetner. I use the SomerSweet sweetner which is better than Splenda, but it's processed and I don't know whether it's 100 percent safe.

Love, Mikie
  4. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi!! I gave up caffeine last September and it was one of the best things I did for the FMS. I do drink one cup of decaf in the morning, but haven't even thought about different flavors. I don't think a flavored coffee would hurt you if consumed once in a while, but, take Mikie's advice and use Stevia in place of sugar as a sweetner. I agree that artificial sugars are just as bad as the real stuff. Drink and enjoy. Hugs, Chelz.
  5. isee

isee New Member

As I delve more deeply into food intolerances, which are supposed to be more like a side effect of drug, than an allergic reaction, such as hives or constricted breathing,
    I'm learning the "natural" doesn't mean I won't react badly to it.

For example, I think I developed an intolerance of many foods and herbs that are moderately to extremely high in salicylates. Innocents like avocadoes, which are very high in salicylates, may have been draining my adrenals for the past three years. Also, cheese, especially the aged cheddars, blue cheeses, which I adore, and ate 4-5 times a week, are loaded with amines which are known triggers for migraines and sinusitis.

For six months, I've been conscientously taking magnesium and calcium citrate, both of which contain alfafa, parsley, and dandelion, all high level sals.

Food intolerances can come on slowly, apparently, until our systems collapse, as mine has 4 times in a cyclical relapse/remission pattern that has lasted now 20 yrs.

So, I'm realizing that "natural" may not be better for me, if I'm intolerant of salicylates and amines, as well as food
    additives and preservatives.

I wish it were that simple.

Anna
  6. lmn

lmn New Member

Guess I'll indulge just once in a while. Seems like everything that tastes good to me is not what's best!!
    Oh well! :)
    lmn