Are Homemakers Eligible for SSDI?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by saphire27, Dec 28, 2005.

1. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

Hello, I am new here. I think this is the best site, and everyone seems so helpful to each other.
    About SSDI, I've been a homemaker for Years now, My youngest just started school ( I have 3). I Wouldn't be eligible for SSDI would I? I "had" planned on going to work full time & take some college courses once all my babies were in school, Then i was dianosed with Crohns in 2001, then Fibromyalgia 3 years ago, plus other problems as well. I do the best i can around here and with a kindergardener, 1st grader, & a 14yr old....it's really hard.It's extremely hard when i'm having my flares, even on good days it still hurts.So what can my future hold? I don't even know if i can manage a part time job the way i feel.
  2. grandmasheri

grandmasheri New Member

We can colect SSI but not SSDI. You have to have work credits to get SSDI. Beleive me there is a BIG money difference too. You can start colecting off of your spouse though when he is of age to collect himself, disabled or deceaced.
    Sheri
  3. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

so could i get ssi now? Is that the thing we get when we get retirement age, (i feel ignorant asking)Or should i forget about it and just try my best to get to a part time job? My husband told me i should ask, i have no idea how to go about it anyway.We really need the extra money, but he's not presuring me. I just want to do what i can now that the kids are in school.
    Thanks
  4. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

Thanks for the info!