Are hot flushes normal with CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GlitterPott, Aug 26, 2003.

1. GlitterPott

GlitterPott New Member

Hi everyone, not been here in a while, hope everyone is doing ok.
    I have had CFS for 7 years and have just started having hot flushes, but I dont know if this is normal. Does anyone else get hot flushes? I wouldnt think anything of it but my mum went through the menopause really early in her life and I am really scared I might be too. I am only 19 years old and really cant take the the thought of it. So I am really hoping it is normal to get hot flushes and would really appreciate anyone helping letting me know.

Thanks for your help.

Love and kisses
    (((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))))
    Shelley xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to have you drop in. I have FM, not CFS and yes, I do have hot flushes, also nightsweats.

I really don't think you could be going through menopause at 19, that is pushing it a bit.

Different medications can also cause flashes too. Have you checked with your doctor? If not you need to do so ASAP.

Take care, and let us hear from you more often.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Since you are too young for menopause, I have two thoughts about this.
    Yes, it is common and many doctors believe it is due to dysregulation of the ANS (autonomic nervous system)which is part of our illness. The ANS does many things, one of which is to properly regulate your perception of hot or cold. I do feel this is the problem for some people.
    The other theory is that subclinical hypothyroidism is almost universal in this illness and is the cause of this problem. It should be treated with natural Armour Thyroid, since we have difficulty making T3 from our T4, and the Synthroid medication used by most doctors only has T4 in it. You can find out more about this by putting "thyroid" into the "Message Search" slot at the top of the page, or visiting the webpage of Dr. Bruce Rind.
    I can tell you that even though I am post-menopausal, and went through menopause early because of this illness, I continued to have hot flushes and awful chills too, until I started taking Armour Natural Thyroid. I no longer have any problem with this, so you may want to get your thyroid checked out by someone who knows about the new normal ranges for thyroid tests.
    Klutzo
  4. GlitterPott

GlitterPott New Member

Thank you everyone, you've really helped me calm a lot! You know what its like when you get an idea in your head and it wont go away so it gets worse!!! Horrible vicious circle.
    I had no idea about the T3 and T4, thank you! I will get myself checked out on that.

Hope you are all ok, sending lots of love and gentle hugs.

Love Shelley xxxxxxxx
  5. Chrissy3

Chrissy3 New Member

Hi Shelley, I have had CFS for about 5 years and in the last year I have had hot flushes. I always have a fan on my desk and it is on and off all day. I do a lot of counting money and it is always blowing off my desk!! lol

Not very nice though I do sympathize.

Chrissy x
  6. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

Klutzo,

This answer really perked my ears & as I am post menopausal, have CFS & am Hypothyroid, I am sure that one or all are causing all of my many horrible symptoms right now. I am taking Natural compounded hormones for Menopause. I take Synthroid & my thyroid is not under control. I tried Armour, but I was one of the rare individuals that didn't do well with it. I had a bad attack in a store while shopping, almost passed out & my heart went racing out of rhythm for about 15 minutes...scared the living daylights out of me!When I increase the Synthroid, I get palpitations, so what on earth do I do? Just suffer the rest of my life?
    Bummer....

Eve
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Please direct a post on this problem to Madwolf....he may be able to suggest some other alternates like Thyrolar, Cytomel, etc.. I am no expert on the other ones, sorry.
    Other thoughts: Do you have hypoglycemia that is not under control? Do you have Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome which can often produce panic attacks? Do you have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) or NMH (neurally mediated hypotension)?
    All of those things are common in fibro patients and all can produce attacks like you mention. I had the attacks way before the thyroid problem, and solved them by taking an alpha blocker. So, my first question would be, are you sure the attack was caused by your thryoid?
    Sorry about this happening to you.... I know how scary these attacks can be.
    Hugs,
    Klutzo
  8. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi Shelley,
    You are far too young to be going through menopause even early menopause so don"t worry about that.
    I have Cfs & Fibro & get hot flushes almost all the time & get night sweats aswell,it"s part of these DD"S.
    Try not to worry as stress will add to your symtoms & you"ll make yourself ill.
    Very gentle hugs to you (((((((((((((sharon d

[ advertisement ]