Are (or were) you exposed to secondhand smoke?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I've been reading things about secondhand smoke that really surprised me. I had no idea exposure to other people's smoking could cause things like blood sugar problems and pancreatic cancer. I'm wondering what else it could cause!

I was born to two parents who smoked before it was known to be harmful. I'm sure I inhaled in utero and in infancy, and beyond. I also smoked myself from age 14 to 28.

How about the rest of you? Has secondhand smoke been part of your life, particularly your early life? And could it cause flares today?

2. Suze

Suze New Member

Reading your post made me question something. I've blamed flares on going out at night to hear live jazz, and getting overtired. But it's certainly possible that a contributing factor is the smoke that's always found in those places.

More smoke-free laws have got to be on the horizon.

Suze
  3. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

All through my childhood - in the house, in the same room, in the car!

I was continually ill with sore throats, bronchitis, tonsilitis, ear infections, etc.

Like you, Suze, I always got sick after going out to hear music especially when I danced, and I do think the smoke poisoned me.

Like you, Prickles, I have very bad reactions when I'm near cigarette smoke. And the discomfort of even the smell of it is stressful too, it's so intensely unpleasant.

I step back and try not to breathe when a smoker who's recently had a cigarette talks to me, because smokers continue to exhale toxic chemicals for up to a half-hour after the ciggie.

I love the new non-smoking laws and only go places that are smoke-free. (Now if only my next-door neighbor would quit smoking)

Roseblossom
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

Yes! Both my parents were 2-3 pack a day smokers. I always hated the smell and would have to leave clubs even when I was healthy because the smoke would cause my eyes to swell shut.

Now I cannot be anywhere near anyone who smokes. Like you, Roseblossom, my neighbour smokes outside and ruins the short season of nice weather we have here. Not only that, he smokes stinky cigars!

There is a woman, Heather (can't remember her last name) here in Ottawa who is dying of lung cancer from secondhand smoke and has spent the last few years advocating for smoke-free public places across Canada. She never smoked but was a waitress in a popular smoky restaurant.

I did not know that secondhand smoke contributed to diseases beside lung cancer and asthma. Makes sense though.

Pepper
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

My mother chain smoked throughout her pregnancy & my childhood. I've often wondered about this affecting my health.

My father didn't smoke, but had two major strokes & a leg amputated because of arteriosclerosis - he died slowly & in agony - I believe his illness was caused by inhaling her cigarette smoke.
  6. Suze

Suze New Member

Of course, it's sad about us babies, too. :-(
  7. Suze

Suze New Member

I'm not blaming my parents for anything. I'm 62, and when I was born they had no idea how harmful cigarette smoke is. In fact, I can remember reading that pregnant women were encouraged to smoke because it was "relaxing."

Secondly, Dana Reeve was a cabaret singer. She spent years inhaling secondhand smoke.
  8. lease79

lease79 New Member

And I do think that it plays a HUGE part in me having FMS/CFS
    My Mum smoked during her entire pregnancy with me & all of her family smoked, in the car, in the house everywhere, so I could never get away from it :(
    My lungs show scaring, though there is no reason for it.
    I think that it's filthy & that it should be made illegal. People smoking near me in public, it gets in my hair & my sinus starts going MAD.
    People may disagree with me & that's fine, but it's just my personal opinion. I HATE seeing children stuck in a car with the windows up & both parents chuffing away. My friends house REAKS of smoke & her children always have bronchial complaints & allergies.
    I never chose to smoke, but I get to carry cancer genes purely because my Mother made the decision for me to smoke whilst I was in her womb & then passively until I left home at 17 pregnant myself.
  9. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

You are right-many of us were exposed to secondhand smoke when we were children before it was known how dangerous it was. Both of my parents smokes, but my dad quit when I was two years old. My mother smoked until I was about 15, although she never smoked when she was pregnant with me and my siblings. I asked her one time why she just didn't quit if she was able to not smoke for months at a time while she was pregnant, and she said she didn't know how bad it was for herself and us and she enjoyed smoking. She said she found it relaxing.

As I got older, the smoke really bothered me. Would make my throat and eyes sore and I used to nag my mother about smoking and how dangerous it was (this was in the 70's). I was so thrilled when she finally quit.

Ellen
  10. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

Second hand smoke is in fact to blame for Dana Reeves lung cancer.

She was a professional singer, and the amount of secondhand smoke she inhaled in clubs was just as effective in destroying her health as if she smoked.

Roseblossom
  11. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Yes, up until I was 12, dad smoked, parent's divorced when I was 12.

It make's me sneeze, i try to stay away from it as much as possible.:)

claudia
  12. Suze

Suze New Member

...growing up surrounded by smoke must have made it easier to start ourselves.

As for your nicotine addition, you have my sympathy! Giving up smoking was terribly hard, but one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I dreamed about smoking for many, many years afterward. Nicotine has such a strong hold on smokers.

13. cathugs

cathugs New Member

My mama and daddy both smoked. Three cartons a week
    between them.I can't remember if it bothered me then
    but it has bothered me all my adult life, and more
    so in the past few years. I can't stand the out doors
    in the winter, because most of my neighbors burn
    wood for heat.
    Also, I watched my mama and daddy die a long, painful death from emphysema and COPD.
    I am so thankful that I never learned to smoke.
    My sister has been quit for over 8 mo. She said
    it was really a hard thing to do.No amount of begging from her family stopped her. She said it was something that only she alone could decide
    My dh doesn't smoke ,so we have smoke free house.
    Our 24 yr. old grand son lives with us,but he knows not to smoke inthe house.

(((((cathugs)))))