Are panic attacks at work the beginning of the end?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Nov 10, 2008.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Today when I got to work, after no particular event, I had a panic attack. It was so strong that I thought I'd have to call the paramedics. My job is mind-numbingly stressful. Almost everything aggravates me or stresses me out.

Just wanting to know if any of you had panic attacks before you finally quit your job?
  2. mom2many

mom2many New Member

I had a lot of panic attacks and most of them were for no real reason. I had as many as 10 a day some days. I tried all kinds of meds and nothing seamed to really help much than I tried GABA. At 1st I did 750mg at night and did good that with that but than tried 2 750mg pills at night and now I "might" have 1 or 2 panic attacks a month!
    BTW most of my attacks were bad, sweating feeling like I was going to throw up even.
  3. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

I have had panic problems since my teens and now am in my 40's. I have gone through marriages and having children...different jobs and back to school as an adult with children. If you allow them to get the best of you and the fear of reoccurence makes you want to give up...just try to remember that panic attacks can become like a runaway train. One can bring on another, and so on. Learning how to breathe and helping yourself relax is key. There are some really good ideas posted on how to get on top of them with music, etc.
    I have had some doosies lately and have gotten to the point where it has me too afraid to even drive. But I try to push through and push to keep going. Panic attacks are a chemical barrage to our bodies and comes from a huge rush of adrenaline-like flush into our body. Mine feels like you are really going to die...every system becomes hyper, where your heart races and you cant think straight, you are sweaty and cold at the same time and become nauseous and even can get chest pains, etc. I feel terrible that one of my daughters also is affected by them. I dont know if these can run in families or not.
    Please learn from my experience and many others. They can come and go. They can become worse with hormones and other influences. Try really hard to let it go and not dwell on it. Don't let it overtake your life. With work or other things. Your employer or other employees may need to learn that this is a medical condition and you can get through it without quitting. It may pass and not continue to affect you regularly. Your doc may have some suggestions and maybe even some medication that might help, even if only when you have them.(My 21 year old daughter has this available to her). Or even therapy for stress reducing ideas.
    I did quit my job, but not due to panic attacks. I was hit by a killer flu that lead to dx with CFS. I am not strong enough physically to work dependably. Fatigue became too great to work. The loss of money and the emotional rewards of work has been so hard on me. Work as long as you can...