Are panic attacks real or can we control our thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jo29, May 15, 2006.

1. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

My daughter has panic attacks when she has to be in a car for a long period of time if she is not the driver.

I think, alot of it stems from her irritable bowel problems and a bad situation she was in once.

My mother also has anxiety, but hers is more general.

My friend told me that my daughter is in control of her thoughts and she is bringing all of this on herself. She also told me that she really doesn't like being around her. She says that my daughter scares her.

We are planning a road trip with my friend and I think she is upset that my daughter wants to drive and my friend wants to drive. So we are taking two cars.

I don't know what to think about panic attacks. I personally don't have them.

Can anybody help me?

Hugs,

Jodi
  2. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

I didn't know what to think.

Lamotta, I just called my daughter to give her the web site. I am sure she will get a lot of good info.

I appreciate both of you for posting info for me.

Hugs,

Jodi
  3. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

would criticize like this? Rude is an understatement. Nothing constructive or compassionate in her remarks at all.

4. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

rude and insensitive - but she has an arrogant attitude .
    She sounds like a coldhearted person who can offer very little in the way of true friendship.
  5. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I suffer a great deal from this. At times it is worse than living with the almost daily pain cycle I am in. Panic and anxiety have robbed me from many a joyous occasion and I pray for help from the Lord with handling the symptoms. Its so hard to cope. People think that if we had "faith" in God there would be no anxiety. That is not true. What is tru is that he doesn't leave anyone without comfort. So I do this to combat mine:

1. Rest as soon as the symptoms begin
    2. Deep breath yourself into a peaceful state
    3. Pray a simple but effective prayer like "God is peace, please bring me peace. Amen repeating this will slowly take away the fear.

Tell your daughter I will pray for her if its ok.
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Oh beleave me they are real.They can come in different degrees.The largest one I had came with a mental break from reality .The smallest one I've had just made me get out of a store faster then normal because of IBS.The worse ones were the ones that came at night in bed .An overwhelming fear that someone was going to be killed or hurt.I was really in fear my husband would just rub my back and try to comfort me.Its a rushing in your brain that you can't stop.
  7. Notonline

Notonline New Member

"My friend told me that my daughter is in control of her thoughts and she is bringing all of this on herself. She also told me that she really doesn't like being around her. She says that my daughter scares her."

Sorry : (...I think I would get a new friend. This one has an attitude that scares me.

I have IBS, and I've also suffered from panic attacks...you don't "bring this on yourself"...it happens, and it makes you feel like crap, physically AND emotionally, you can be looking so foward to doing something or going somewhere, then your body just decides to rebel. I also have problems with cars if I'm not the one driving...I think it's like motion sickness, except with me I don't get the nausea, it triggers the IBS instead. I do better when I'm the one contolling the movement of the vehicle.

{{{Hugs}}}
    Danny

[This Message was Edited on 05/16/2006]
  8. Notonline

Notonline New Member

...panic and IBS. Imagine...Take a trip...now go somewhere to eat and then feel an episode of IBS coming on 50 miles later... down a wide open grass lined interstate...now see the sign..."next rest stop 50 miles"...
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am glad for this post.
    I wake up early and cannot go back to sleep.
    Sometimes just a few hours after going to bed.
    I then get anxious and must get up, dress and leave the house.
    After I settle down at work I calm down.
    Does anyone else wake early or have trouble getting to sleep, then get panicky in bed and must get up.
    Last night I was up and down.
    When I wake early I feel hungry and must eat protein, like cottage cheese, then try to get more rest.
    I do have low blood sugar and eat snack before bed but I still wake up!!
    Any ideas?
    Thanks...
  10. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

hope so jodi,
    I get panic attacks when i go on an elevator.
    Thats because i was beaten black & blue by my father through my teens.
    He used to hide behind the front door & when i came in through the door he would beat me until i couldnt move.
    Or he would hide at the top of the stairs & when i came in the house i would go upstairs & he would kick me back down them.
    And he wouldnt stop until i screamed in total agony that i couldnt take anymore.
    So in my case no i cant control them hope this helps.
    Fibrolady37.

11. Empower

Empower New Member

Ahhhh, I feel really bad. Your friend is being insensitive.

I have suffered from panic attacks (haven't had one lately, knock on wood) and they are terrifying. You think you are just going to die

Mine were brought on by stress, and they got so bad, that I was afraid of leaving the house.

I think during an attack, something physiological happens to your body and you start sweating and your heart is racing out of control, your head is spinning and you truly think that you will die on the spot.
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I absolutely believe that we cannot control panic attacks any more than we can control falling asleep (or not!!!) The chemical imbalances in our bodies cause panic disorders. We can learn tricks in how to cope with them, we can take meds to minimize them, but panic attacks are very very real.

Another take on this would be to ask, "Can a mentally ill person, say with schizophrenia, contol their thoughts that are disturbing? Not without meds, although some other things like meditation can help some forms, like affective disorder,full blown paranoid thinking can only really be controlled by meds. There are some new treatments, like magnetic imaging of frontal lobes that are helping with all these mental disorders, and they are available in certain places now.

It seems to work very well, without the use of meds, especially for anxiety and panic.

Love Anne C
  13. jole

jole Member

I too have panic attacks, and can't believe anyone would say that we bring them on ourselves or could control them. Mine are usually when I'm in a crowd of people, such as in a store shopping, etc. I have had to leave a cart full of groceries before and leave in a hurry.

The feeling of a pounding heart, sweating, weakness and fear for no reason is NOT my idea of a good time!!! I too have ended up in an ER once from this, but now I know what it is and take a Xanax for it.

If your daughter says she has them, please believe her. And tell your "friend" to be thankful it's not her!!!

Friends - Jole
  14. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I have panic attacks due to PTSD and another anxiety disorder. Lately I've been having the attacks almost every night. I'm going to see my shrink tomorrow and I hope to get a mild sedative.

My attacks start physically. My body, for some unknown reason, sees fit to pump adrenaline into my blood stream (by the gallon, it seems). That kicks off the "flight or fight" syndrome. Then my mind has to think of something to "rationalize" the physical aspects. The last several nights it has resorted to reminding me about my son's death. That makes me feel out of control, both physically, emotionally and mentally.

I do hope your daughter finds a way to ease this, very soon. It really is a horrible feeling, to think that you're so totally out of control. (We are, but that's another post! LOL)

God Bless.
  15. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

Hi my name is Megan and i am JO29 daughter.

I just wanted to say thankyou all for replying to my moms post. All you guys, definately helped my mom and hopefully my moms friend to understand my panic attacks better.

It sure is hard sometimes to tell people I can't ride in a car without driving because I will have a panic attack. Then they look at me, like i'm some freak and they think i'm just making it up. It's just nice to know that are people out there just like me and understand what i'm going through.

Thankyou all again for you caring and understanding and input.

Megan
  16. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have anxiety more than panic attacks, but a couple of times in the mornings in the last 2 weeks I have had to leave the house early because of this.

My daughter gets on the bus at 10 till 7 and I don't have to leave until about 8 so I usually go back and enjoy the quiet but those 2 days I just HAD TO GO!!
  17. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

When I have an attack I can work through them anymore, try ataying calm and what works for me is talking on the phone with someone or watching TV. I have to have a light on if it is in the middle of the night, thats when they usually happen !!!
  18. cma331

cma331 New Member

What a memory it brought to me.........

Live in NJ.....Was taking my daughter to the car train outside of Washington ; for her to get to FL. ; to start Grad school.

Husband in one car......Daughter and I in the other.

Felt it coming on......We pulled off road......

.Wound up in a Roy Rogers bathroom; for hours I was on the floor there.

Wound up in Hospital in some State.

YES; it is real Carole
  19. twerp

twerp New Member

I see Xanax mentioned, but was wondering if Klonopin would work as well?

Anyone used both, for comparison? Or something else entirely?

Hugs,
    Twerp
  20. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I have suffered from panic attacks since I was 19 years old, and I assure you, it is a very real disorder. You cannot control them. I am on Paxil and it helps, although with all the depression and anxiety I have had about my situation lately, it is not helping enough. But it is not about being strong and controlling your thoughts.

I am a strong Christian, and I used to beat myself up thinking if I just had enough faith in God I wouldn't have these fearful thoughts. But that is not true. It is an actual chemical imbalance and needs to be treated medically.

Please don't allow your friend to belittle your daughter or treat her badly. Your daughter needs your support. This is an awful thing to have to deal with.