are raw eggs okay?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I like to eat stuff with raw egg in it - merangue, custard that I'm getting ready for the oven, cookie dough... is it dangerous to do? I get organic eggs. Thanks. :)
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

They can carry salmonella. Chances are probably slight, but I err on the side of caution because you do not want a case of salmonella! Makes you very sick!

Take care, Sally
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Egg shells absorb bacteria that is in the air in the fridge.And the best place to store your eggs is in there original carton.You should never leave your eggs on the counter either.

Hope this helps
    Sue
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are not even allowed to eat runny eggs which are cooked. Eating raw eggs is taking a chance. Salmonella is like having food poisoning. Healthy people recover from it but the very young, the very old, and those with compromised immune systems can die from it.

Love, Mikie
  5. Shannonsparkles

& Ralph for the Mercola stuff. Guess I will do some research today. I generally get moderate ammounts of raw egg from sampling desserts I haven't cooked yet and licking the bowls. Haven't noticed a problem so far. I LOVE raw batter. It would be great if I could eat raw eggs more often!

Willis. :) About the texture thing... I ended up drinking my custard batter raw like a milkshake the other night (someone else was using the oven and I didn't want to wait). With the raw eggs the texture of the nut milk was even nicer than it was without eggs. Silky. You really wouldn't know you were drinking eggs. Actually, the texture of cooked eggs is a little gross to me. ;)
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I remain unconvinced, though. I guess old habits and old wives' tales are hard to shake off.

Love, Mikie
  7. Shannonsparkles

tonight. Said that raw eggs are virtually non-allergenic! Easier on the body, and more nutrients intact. And that with fresh organic eggs the salmonella risk is about nil. For commercial eggs the risk is one in 30,000 - more than most people eat in a lifetime.

Thanks for the info on refrigeration. That's very cool... ;) Don't know if my organic eggs are washed or not, may call the company. Can anyone tell me how long unwashed eggs will stay fresh without the fridge? And if there are benifits to keeping them at room temperature?

Gonna lick the bowl with confidence! Thank you, all
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

on how they're handled... when I've eaten raw eggs (love 'em in smoothies), I made sure they have no cracks and I wash them before I break them, and only eat organic anyway.

And I have never been sick. Didn't do it while pg tho.

I also take the 'chance' of eating a hamburger cooked rare (organic cooked at home).... and never been sick either altho IMO I think my chances of becoming sick this way is probably higher than by eating raw eggs.

9. Shannonsparkles

Yes, makes sense to wash them before cracking. good tip. :)