Are shoes like sketchers shapeups good for people with fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Oct 29, 2010.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I want to know if any one has tried the sketchers shapeups that work out your balance, core, and legs msucles , hips thighs ect. I have tried on some that are not the name brand as I can't afford $99.00 for a pair of shoes that may or may not cause me more pain. I treid on two different brands Danceskins, and Doctor sholls. I walked around for a few minutes in each pair they felt so soft and comfy. But after walking around at the store for may be ten minutes didn't bother me but when I got home and rested , my legs were achey, as was my back, I don't know if it was from the shoes or not.

I really like the thought of shoes that help me to work out on my core , balance and the rest of my body. But I don't want to pay for it with more pain, because I was wearing these shoes. Has any one treid them , have they helped or hurt ? ARe they going to help my body to exercie and feel better or am I going to pay a high price for walking in shoes that have a rounded bottom . how do I find out if theis type of shoe would help me rather than hurt me. I would really like to buy a pair of the Dr Scholls rounded sole shoes as they felt the best on me.. And I can afford them at $30.00 instead of the $ 100.00 that the real shoe would cost me.
    I would love any answers comments to this questoin. I awnt some shoes that iwll last and not hurt me to walk on them Please help; me
  2. kat211

kat211 New Member

there have been studies proving that these shoes do nothing more than drain your wallet. If we were meant to walk on rounded souls, our feet would have come with them at birth. These shoes are nothing more than an ugly marketing ploy to play on people's desires for added help in their work outs.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Rosemarie - There was an article in the newspaper recently about these shoes and they are considered a scam. They can't deliver what they promise. You would be better off buying yourself a pair of good comfortable shoes and walking for exercise and balance.
  4. katopya

katopya New Member

hello rosemary, i bought a pair of shape ups and absolutely love them. i feel like they dont hurt my legs or back. i can walk a lot easier with them. i to got mine at peebles with forty percent off. got them for about fifty with them being on sale. good luck..
  5. amomwithsickkids

amomwithsickkids New Member

I bought sneakers like this last week because they are the only sneakers that actually fit me and felt good. I haven't bought sneakers in years. If they also can help tone me up that would be great. I could sure use any toning that I can get.

The sneakers cost me about a hundred bucks. I am sooo not into spending this kind of money on sneakers especially with all our medical bills and at the end of the day we are talking about SNEAKERS! for heaven's sake.

But given that I found a pair that fit me and are comfortable I decided it was worth it. I won't be buying sneakers again for a very long time.

I haven't noticed much of a difference between these special sneakers vs. others. Bottom line is that you have to select something that fits you and is comfortable.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I was working, I was on my feet for hours at a time. Three of us at the store had had knee arthroscopy and none of our knees were healing well. I think it's because of having to stand so much. One of my coworkers bought the Sketchers and said they made a HUGE difference in her knee. I bought one pair and had the same experience--no more knee pain nor exhaustion from standing. Also, they helped my spine alignment and my lower back felt better too. I ended up getting two pair because it's good to rotate working shoes. Of course, that was before my BP meds made sleeping well impossible, causing me to have to retire. As I get better, I plan to do some walking in the Sketchers for exercise.

BTW, it's not unusual for some muscles to feel sore at first because the movement with the shoes uses muscles we don't usually use or use a bit differently.

As far as whether these shoes are a scam or not--I think we each have to decide for ourselves. Unfortunately, they are expensive and we have to spend the money before we know. I didn't buy mine to get a sexier butt; that ship has sailed :) I got them for comfort and they delivered in spades.

Love, Mikie
  7. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I wish I could afford them but due to all the problems of last year where my huuy lest his job was unempoyed for 11 months and when he found a job it pays $27,000 less . I am on SSDI and have to pay for all my medical bills, scripts ect. Hubby can't afford to put me on his ins and as it turns out my AARP medicare insurance pays better all the way around. I get $311.00 after deductions have been taken out of my SSDI , medicare , tax's . I spend susally around $40.00 a month on meds some times more, so paying out $100.00. or even $60.00 is out of my budget for a long time . At a store here in town they have some that looks like the shape up do, one is a Dr.Scholls brand, one that I can't remember the name. They look the same and show the same photo of how the shoe is made. The best thing is they are between $25.00-$30.00 . I know that shape ups are going to be the best because they are made to improve every thing. But I am thinking about buying the cheaper brand of Dr.Scholls. They too feel really comfy and I think with breaking them in I would do ok.

I would love to buy the name brand shoe but I can't so I am researching the best of what I can findI am hoping htat they will last as well and be good for me as well. Thanks for all your posts they have helped me alot.
  8. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I didn't think they would be comfortable for me. I felt like I might end up stumbling and turn my ankle since the sole is so thick. They didn't feel stable enough width wise for me.
  9. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

First of all, the Earth brand shoes where invented in the 1970's and they are the shoes that started this craze....but, their shoes are expensive and are pretty ugly!

I bought a pair of Earth Shoes 2 years ago...i bought them because I have terrible lower back pain if I stand for very long, or sit on anything hard....i was hoping they would help strengthen my tummy and lower back....

I wore them everyday for over a year....i am mostly bed and house bound but every time i get up or go downstairs to do some laundry, those are the shoes i pop on....i don't go barefoot in our house because we have 2 boys, 2 dogs, and a cat....and no one doing regular housework, i don't let my feet touch this floor....sigh...i have learned to just not look at the dirt...anyways,...

I think the shoes help me by making me more aware of my posture....they tilt my pelvis and kind of guide you into a better position and make you remember to tuck in your butt and tummy....i also felt that they toned up the back of my legs...but, i am a slender/average build and don't have big weigh wants to pile up on my tummy...i think these shoes have helped me

i feel like my knees don't hurt as much when i have been up out of bed for a few hours when i wear these....when i go somewhere and put on my tall boots or a pair of flats, my knees ache when i get off my feet....but my feet scream with delight when I put my earth shoes back on!!!!

i had some slip on sandals which were not the most attractive....but I was so excited that Earth shoes had finally developed some sandals...this summer i got a new pair that are actually cute...some sandal a brown leather....

for my everyday, wear all the time shoes, I will continue to wear Earth Shoes.... if you divide the price by how many days you will wear the shoes, you get your cost per wear....that will tell you if it is worth it....if you wear the shoes all the time, you get your money's worth....i am a big believer in saving up for something that you really want and getting what you have your heart set on rather than wasting your money on a cheaper substitute and ending up not wearing them. that is a bigger waste of money...

as for the skeechers, they are just toooo ugly for me to try, i need slip on shoes....or i should say i prefer slip on shoes....i am in and out of bed many times a day and am too lazy to tie on a pair of shoes each time i get up....

the skeechers seem like an extreme ....check out the Earth shoes is free to look....and if it means you have to wait a couple months to set aside the $, then go for it...

good luck!
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

These shoes all seem to be expensive because they are being offered as a "new" idea. There are more and more being offered at lower and lower prices, so they should be more affordable as time goes on. Reebok has a new one out but I don't know what they cost.

The Sketchers take some getting used to. After about a day, they feel more normal. I don't find them ugly at all. I had to wear either all black or all white shoes at work with black slacks. No one noticed the shoes that much. I did like being a couple of inches taller; that's what people noticed the most.

When I was working, I had more money to spend on things. I especially wanted to take care of myself at work because it's hard enough to work, even part time, with our illnesses. I bought some things which I would probably not buy now. I'm back in my "frugal" phase.

Love, Mikie
  11. Denamay

Denamay New Member

One of the best buys that I haver made!

I have gone from hardly being able to walk around the block {cronic foot problems} today I walked for about 3 miles.

The shoes have not done anything for my fibro or my butt for that matter, but to be able to walk again is a wonderful blessing.

I must mention that the first pair that I bought were of better quality than the second pair.

The Sketchers were hard to get used to and I can see where they could cause a person to stumble, you have to get used to walking in them and that can take a some time.

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dillard's is having a sale on the Sketchers for $79 instead of the usual $99. That's still expensive but they are coming down.

DenaMay, I'm so happy for you. Walking is such good exercise. It's amazing what a comfortable pair of shoes can do for us.

Love, Mikie