Are skin problems realated to fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, May 14, 2009.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I don't know if this problem has any thing to do with my having fibro. About a week ago my right thumb turned red and looked like it was infected from a hangnail. It was really sore, painfull, had tiny bumps that stung, felt like it had thorns in the bumps. I was put on a antibitoic and the redness cleared up but the bumps got more painful if that is possiable.A few days ago these bumps turned white and looked like a blister. On the pad of my thumb the skin has peeled off and keeps peeling, so it is tender . And close to the nail the skin has peeled off.

I have been putting cortizone cream on this as I didn't know what else to do. I have to keep it covered at night or it drys out and the skin will start peeling again and it hurts to touch my thumb. I don't know what to do I guess I am going ot have to call the dermitologist to find out what is going on . Hopefully he can tell me that there is some thing to help it heal and stop peeling. I am so tired of getting the strange unusal problems, just once I would like to be noramal. I won't hold my breath as I have never been normal.
    Wish me luck
  2. AdirondackScarlet

AdirondackScarlet New Member

Sounds like you touched something either like horse nettles without knowing or contact allergic reaction. Causing festers, feels like thorns , better yet-- cactus prickers stick out...hurt and feel like your touching something with then and makes it worse BUT you are NOT...
    Peeling is like from getting too hot as in fever blisters ( so to speak) mainly from inflamation or infection....
    Try soaking in warm salt water about 20 minutes a few times a day.
    I , mostly as a kid, got festers alot . as an adult, I found it was from some kinda irritant- ie...with me>>>> powdered Tide , stuff like that, carpet fresh, furniture polosh, gardening...endless possibilities.
    Hope the salt water helps,,,REAL SALTY....
  3. hdparadis

hdparadis New Member

what my younger sister would get when she was in school. Doc said it was "contact dermatitis" form an allergen. Turns out she is allergic to chalk dust. Did you use anything or come in contact with anything you don't usually handle?
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Doesn't sound like your issue is related to Fibro.
    the peeling skin can also be related to any minor swelling your had. I've had that many times, the skin stretches then it peels.
    you can have an infection from a hangnail -or simply incredible pain from such a tiny injury.
    The skin close to the nail is very tender and sensitive.

One time I stuck my hand in my purse. I had an earring in there and the earring went all the way down the back of the bed of my nail. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got a huge infection. My thumb got huge, red, tender, sore, hot and talk about peeling skin!

You might have some type of contact dermatitis or who knows what else, but as far as I know, it doens't like related to Fibro.
  5. cathugs

cathugs New Member

Hi, I can't hep with your thumb, but just wanted to let you know I have missed your posts. I had posted last night to see if any one had heard from you.
    waynesrythem was good enough to send me to this post.
    How are your knees doing? Have you had them fixed?

I am glad to see you posting again. Have a good week!