Are Sore throats a part of a flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Jul 29, 2010.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

For the past few days I have had a sore throat, and achy muscles, but nothing more that would ead me to think of a bad flare. Even the acheines could be from our bed, as it is different than the old one . We had a water bed for over 20 yrs and this new inner spring matteress does not feel like the old bed did. I am achey all over, With having a new bed I expected to feel achey and have done every night that I have slept on the bedl.
    I don't remember what it is like ot have a flare except that I hurt all over. Please can you help me ? Is a sore throat a sign of a a flare starting. What are other signs of a flare? Thanks for your help.

2. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I used to get them more but now I do get them once in a while when I've overdone it.
  3. quanked

quanked Member

part of a flare for some. I use to get lots of sore throats which use to cause me to believe I was heading into a cold or some such illness. But it often did not lead to an illness.

I still get the sore throat now and then but not often, and as before, it does not ALWAYS lead into a cold or flu.

For me, the only consistent thing about these dd's is that it is always inconsistent.
  4. Tizz

Tizz New Member

...all over our bodies. Perspiration is acidic, and with the heightened sensitivties of fibro, it causes problems for some of us. This includes the mucosa (skin linings that secrete) of your nose, throat, and bronchial tubes. Skin biopsies of people with fibro show higher IgG (immunoglobulin G) in the skin and more mast cells (which release histamines in an allergic reaction, and heparin - an anticoagulant). The result? Red, watery, itchy eyes, puffy eyes, itchy nose, runny nose, postnasal drip, chronic congestion!

This doesn't mean, exactly, that some of us are "allergic" to our own secretions. We are simply more SENSITIVE to the acid in them... But it adds up to almost the same thing.

[This Message was Edited on 07/29/2010]
  5. matieofleaves803

matieofleaves803 New Member

I had a dream back in the '70's, (when I just thought I was weak or something), that my body was too acidic. I was shown myself standing up (and I was thin, oh joy!) and I was shown that the "acid" filled my body up to the height of my eyebrows.
    What can be done about that?
    And, yes, my throat is sore a lot and always has been. (Constantly running nose...)
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Rosemarie, Hi. I'm back after a couple of years off.

Regarding sore throats - I have both Fibro and Chronic Fatigue. For me, the first signs of a flare, even a little one, are: sore throat, sore glands, swollen gums, with tiny blisters on them, (which develop into open sores, and then heal after a few weeks) and body aches. Later I also develop a nervous stomach that I wake up with. It takes about 4 hours from the time I wake up, until I can "get going".

The way I improve is: to take supplements that will help my immune system, and rest, rest, rest. It takes me anywhere from two to six weeks to get over a little flare.

I hope this helps. Good luck and God bless.
  7. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I get all sorts of symptoms with a flare & most vary a bit, but almost every time, a sore throat and swollen, painful glands are my first indicators that I am starting a flare....that has been the case all 6 yrs I have been sick
  8. joanierav

joanierav Member

are on the chronic fatigue syn. symtom list. it is called the "crescent sore throat" because it is shaped like a crescent. of course i dont remember where i read it, but do remember reading it and discussing it with my neurologist at the time. i had the sore throats when i first started with the cfs. but over the yrs, i stopped having them, even in the flares. joanierav
  9. loto

loto Member

I don't know, but I think they are!

I experienced the same thing you are this past week.
    Today I'm feeling a little better, at least better than I did.

It's funny you mention your bed too!! I was sleeping on a single bunk bed mattress on my living room floor for the past few months because it was much cooler in there. Anyway, my husband finally had time to move our bed into a different much cooler room, so this week I went back to it. Well, now my old bed is too soft (so soft it's so comfy!!!), and my whole back aches. So, I guess I'll have to go back to my little mattress on the floor until we can afford to buy a new firmer mattress for our bedroom. I hate giving up my pillow top mattress!! I just sink into it and it makes me so relaxed!!

Oh well, sorry for going on, I just wanted to let you know that I've been feeling the same way you have. I think I hate the sore, scratchy throat more than the all over achiness and pain, how about you?
  10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I used to get sore throats at the drop of a hat, for several years. Every time I got a little overtired I would get a sore throat. I finally learned there seemed to be two types: one was a low-grade strep infection (would not show up on a strep test, but would go away when treated with antibiotics) and the other was due to pantothenic acid deficiency. Panthothenic acid is the B vitamin which is crucial for adrenal health, so if your adrenals are stressed or weak, you need extra pantothenic acid. Taking a good B complex and extra pantothenic acid helped with one of the sore throats.

The other one I get rarely now - I think my immune system is stronger than it used to be. I'm taking 5,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily and that helps (as well as all the other vitamins and minerals).

So, as someone else suggested, try to strengthen your immune system, and make sure you're taking a good B complex and extra pantothenic acid if need be.

11. joanierav

joanierav Member

hi rosemarie. ok i just remembered where i read it, it was yrs ago in the chronicle a cfs magazine i used to prescribe to. i just now clicked on crescent sore throats, and the article came up. titled "crimson crescents facilitate cfs diagnosis" infectious disease news , nov. 1992. sorry im ashamed to admit, i dont know how to cut and paste , or else i would have printed it for you. but i think if you type in crimson sore throats, you can read the article. it came right up for me. good luck. joanie
  12. joanierav

joanierav Member

sorry, i think i typed in crescent sore throats, boy whenever i come on this site, my brain goes dead. lol. joanie
  13. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Thanks for taking the time to post and let me know that I am not alone with fibro. I may not be winning the battle but I am not going back wards either.
  14. hi all,
    yes i believe sore throats are part of a flare.

i started with a sore throat last week,and felt very fatigued and achy.i also noticed that psoriasis was flaring up under my finger and toenails.
    another thing i noticed was that my nose felt very full,and my sinuses where blocked.

i decided to wash out my nasal passages with warm water and a tiny amount of salt.

it was difficult at first as the water had trouble getting through my nostrils,but the next day it did.

and i had a yellow ish gunk come out of my nose.i think this was the start of a nasal infection,as when the water goes into the nose i sort of felt it drip into something way back,that is connected to my ears.

then i also had to spit out this gunk.

now the water is running freely through my nose,the sore throat has eased alot,and so has the skin rash that i have in my ears.

so my conclusion is,i was having the sore throat flare ,with achy muscles and all the rest,because i had a throat/nasal infection,and i am managing to get some control over it,instead of using medication.

i think i have a psoriasis flare up too,theres just always something flaring up in people with our conditions isnt there.

take care,fran.
  15. mary01

mary01 New Member

Yes, sore throats are a warning to me that all is not well. I immediately take Immune Support, a thymus supplement. It's in powdered form that you place under your tongue and allow to dissolve. if one dose doesn't do it, I do another one or two. It always helps.

Take care.
  16. gknee

gknee New Member

I have one 24/7. I'm getting so sick of it.