Are sunless tanners safe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by praisingHim, May 15, 2003.

1. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Do any of you use sunless tanning lotions? The brand I used last year was really good, the only one that made me not look streaky, but it contains alcohol. I know we are so sensitive to chemicals. Just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about them here. Thanks!
  2. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

hi praisehim:
    i use neutrogena the cream type med/dark and very safe. it is the best one i've found and i've been orange to pink LOL. hey, i saw you today in the worship site, my first time there....:)
    take care,
  3. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

......that this thread doesn't become a "which brand works best" thread. I know that this is not the place for that (chit chat board would be best). I didn't want the moderators to think that that is the purpose of this thread. I want to see if you all knew if they are safe. I know the the things we put on our skin is absorbed into our bodies so we have to be so careful about what we use. To RN and Mama, thanks for your replies. I did use Banana B. last year, but it contains alcohol and I wonder if that can have a toxix effect on the body or it it's not enough to hurt? I don't believe that all contain alcohol, but I am so white some look horrible on me.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/15/2003]
  4. AC77

AC77 New Member

I used them to. they smell like molasses and peroxide together. And look orange on me. I wish there were better ones. I go to the tanning beds. Big NO NO. skin cancer galore.
  5. lilwren

lilwren New Member

of it. :) Mine is called Au Courant and these are the ingredients (just dragged it out of the med chest) aloe, deionized water, safflower, dha, peg-100, sterate glycerine, polysorbate 80, cetyl acetate, dimethicone, pvp, diazoilidinyl urea, citric acid, panthenol, chamomile, and rosemary. Some of it sounds okay, but since I don't know what a few of those things are they must not be good. Maybe someone can shed some more light on this for us - I'm tired of looking pale too! :) Next time I get the energy I'll look for an all natural one on-line - if there is such a thing!

love,
    Sharon L
  6. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

I wanted to bump this back up and see what other's opinion's are. I used my sunless tanner yesterday (a month after the first post)and it has a strong smell and contains alcohol. Just wanted to see what's other's think about inhaling this smell and our skin absorbing this alcohol. Thanks for your replies.
  7. sofy

sofy New Member

Alcohol is a relatively safe but certainly not absolutely safe. Our skin is the biggest organ we have so absorption of chemicles can be problematic especially over large areas. Topical lidocaines are safe to use but they all say only for small areas. Too big an area = too much lidocaine.
    Your question cannot be answered with an absolute yes or no. We are sick people and no one knows exactly why. The alcohol could be perfectly harmless but if you are worried everytime you use it the worry could be damaging to your whole system. Its called self induced stress. Perhaps you could set a compromise for yourself and use it less often and not all over. Then again join the a e newman club and look tan and dont worry.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/24/2003]
  8. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Thanks for your reply. I never thought about it that way. If I am going to worry the whole time about inhaling that horrible smell, then I may make myself worse! Thanks for the insight. I used the stuff yesterday and I kept waking up last night nauseated and I was nauseated again this morning. I may just don't worry about it and be white or ask around to find a brand that has no smell. OH, Call me ignorant, but what is the "a e newman club"? Is that a product? I have never heard of it. [This Message was Edited on 06/24/2003]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Docs say that sunless tanners are perfectly safe but do not protect against sunburn.

Since we are prone to chemical sensitivites, though, some of the ingredients may not agree with us on an individual basis. I use the Banana Boat brand and like it very much. A hint: Wear rubber gloves to avoid having the stuff stain around the nails and in between the fingers. They also help the lotion to go on more smoothly.

I have found that using them does dry out the skin, so I use a lot of lotion after the stuff has had a chance to do its thing. I don't like it that it rubs off on clothing, bedding and furniture. I also don't like the smell. I just can't tolerate the sun like I used to, and I have to be so careful of my face now.

Love, Mikie
  10. Patti2

Patti2 New Member

I was never told not to tan. Mind you I have a rum. and an interist that I have turned my life over to. (Scary thought)
    I don't do the sun that much anyway but this just blue me for a loop. I have had FM for almost 4 years and never have had a problem. Could someone inform me of this information PLEASE. Actually the warm sun feels good on my shoulders and back...????
  11. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

The reason many of us avoid the sun is because of the increased risk of skin cancer, not because of making FM/CFS worse. Actually some say that sunlight helps, just have to make sure you don't get burned. Hope this helps and answered your question.
  12. sofy

sofy New Member

Never tried the tanning stuff and am very sensative to smelly stuff. Do they all smell and come off all over everything?? How long does the smell last? I cant imagine breathing something smelly can be good for you. Maybe no all that harmful but not good. Rubbing off on clothes and bedding is bad. I go forever between changing linens to save work and this sounds like it would make more work. How dirty can sheets get if you get in alone and clean. I save my energy for something more important than sheet washing.
    Alfred was the the goofy looking guy on mad magazine who was famous for lots of goofyness but especially "what, me worry"
  13. paula45

paula45 New Member

I've been using Coppertone Endless Summer but the smell nauseates me AWFUL. I found a great tanner on eBay. It has no smell and the color is the best. Also, it is very moisturizing. You can find it under "self-tanners" in the search and it comes up "The Truth about Self-Tanners". The name of the product is Moisture Tan. It's about 10.00 a bottle plus shipping, but the shipping is much cheaper if you buy 2. I wish I had. I'm going to get more. It's absolutely the best one I've found ...and it doesn't make me sick.
    Paula
  14. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Softy, The one I used recently (Neutrogena) dries within 5 minutes, so it doesn't come off on sheets or clothes, but it doesn't smell so great. I wish I could find one that doesn't smell that dries quickly and doesn't turn me orange. It's hard to find a good combination. I have a 4 and 1 year old, so they have to dry quick because I can't just walk around naked all day. :) I am no pro so I am finding it hard to find the right one. I may just have to be white if I can't find one. :) Paula, thanks for the recommendation. I may try to find that product.
  15. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Just got diagnosis for lupus on top of CFS/FM last week and the sun is now a no, no for me. No more tanning beds either.

I just made an appointment for airbrush tanning next week. Anyone ever tryed that?

I also just bought Neutrogena sunless tanner with a bronzer,,,haven't tryed it yet.

I am so glad you posted this as I too was wondering if this was a safe way to go and what worked the best.

Tulip
  16. klarry

klarry New Member

I've used them for years, as I try to avoid over exposure to the sun, and can't stand to look pasty. One trick I learned is to dilute them with a good lotion or moisturizer. This helps them to go on smoothly and less streaky. I like to use one that is colored, so that you can see where you are applying it.

17. tes

tes New Member

I can try and help with this question. When I was pregnant with my first child, I asked my doctor if self tanners are safe and she said yes. They do not absorb into the bloodstream, therefore, should not cause any harm. I also read the same thing in one of my local papers.(I am from Toronto, Canada) I use them almost everyday, as I hate to look pale. I use a new one here in Toronto. It is called Neo Strata. It is the BEST one by far. And I have tried soooo many of them. Anyhow, you can ask your doctor these questions and see what they say. Take care Tes.
  18. praisingHim

praisingHim New Member

Thanks for all of your replies. I looked up the Moisture Tan on Ebay like one of you suggested and the reviews look great. I may order this one. I have got to find one that has no smell. I can't handle the nausea from the other smelly ones. Tes, if it's safe for a pregnant person, then if should be safe for us too. It seems that the concensus is that they are safe. Thanks everyone! Have a blessed day!
  19. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

Well, I had used them in the past with unsatisfactory results, but decided to try again this year. I used an expensive brand, & I noticed this morning that I have a nice rash on my chest, so guess that's out now too. I'll have to resign myself to being pasty white, as I can't take the heat outside, & tanning beds make me break out in hives now, due to one of my meds...

Eve
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have been using the Obagi skin care stuff and it makes one's face much lighter. It fades sun and hormone spots and raises precancerous lesions to the surface. This stuff is expensive and it would be defeating the purpose to get sun on my skin. Also, if I get sun on the areas around my eyes where the skin was laser resurfaced, it could permanently remain red and burned. When I do go out, I wear sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat.

I have also been bleaching the liver spots on my hands and I have to wear sunscreen on them. My chest area burns easily, so I'm always careful to put sunscreen on that. I have seen so many women down here in FL with dried up skin on their chest and the skin is all mottled with brown, red, and white patches of skin. It's very unattractive and makes them look older.

I love to swim laps, but the water washes the sunscreen off, so I have to be careful with that and swim early or late. It does help to apply the sunscreen a half hour before going out in the sun and again while out.

Love, Mikie