Are Tetanus vaccinations safe with CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tgirl, Oct 20, 2002.

1. tgirl

tgirl New Member

Hi,

I've got a deep wound from a cat scratch that's a bit infected, the doctor gave me antibiotic cream for it today. She also said it would be a good idea to get a tetanus injection, as extra protection.

My worry is that anything I've ever tried for my CFS, medical or alternative health-wise, just makes me worse. I fear that the tetanus vaccination could do who knows what, and I'm alone and can't afford to get any sicker.

Does anyone have experience with getting a tetanus shot while suffering CFS?

Thanks,

Tgirl
  2. tgirl

tgirl New Member

Hi,

I've got a deep wound from a cat scratch that's a bit infected, the doctor gave me antibiotic cream for it today. She also said it would be a good idea to get a tetanus injection, as extra protection.

My worry is that anything I've ever tried for my CFS, medical or alternative health-wise, just makes me worse. I fear that the tetanus vaccination could do who knows what, and I'm alone and can't afford to get any sicker.

Does anyone have experience with getting a tetanus shot while suffering CFS?

Thanks,

Tgirl
  3. Thella

Thella New Member

I would definetly recommend the tetnus shot. I have had CFS for 25 years and have cats and am a klutz around sharp objects. I have had 3 tetnus shots in that time and have had no reaction except the cuts and claws go away without too much infection.
    When you get a cat scratch that has broken the skin wash it with soap and water and pour on peroxide. Leave it to the air and no infection should develop. But if it does it can cause cat fever which can be fatal.
    thella
  4. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

are safe or not. I do not take them anymore..I know .. it is scarey. I wash everything out with peroxide and apply tea tree oil.

The reason for me, is that I have had MAJOR reaction to tetanus shots. When I had them as a baby and also when I had one in my late twenties. I would hate to think about getting one now. BUT .. that is just my situation, and I have a sensitivity to it I guess.

Hope you are doing well..
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am not a fan of vaccines, but there are a lot of things which can cause blood poisoning and cat scratches are one of them. Considering how often we injure ourselves, I would have to say, I think they are a good idea. I had one three hears ago when I fell off a boat doc and had a couple of gashes. I partially fell into a boat canal with filthy water. Florida is known to have all kinds of bacteria in it's boating canals. I have never had a reaction to a tetnus shot. In this case, I do feel that the possible vaccine risks are preferable to getting sick from an injury. Tetnus is supposed to be a horrible painful illness. The vaccines are good for 5-10 years and possibly even longer, so keep track of when you get them.

Obviously, for anyone who has had a bad reaction to the Tetnus vaccine, the whole picture is different.

Love, Mikie