ARE THE ON-LINE PRESCRIPTION SITES FOR PAIN FOR REAL?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pamela, Oct 2, 2002.

1. pamela

pamela New Member

I was just wondering if the on-line prescription sites for real? Can you really order pain meds on them and really get them? Any body do this now? I live in Texas so I really don't know which one I would order from? The only reason I am wondering this is if my pain mgt. doc were to ever stop my meds I don't know what I would do...I have FMS and major car wreck pain from 2 years ago. (walking w/ metal in my ankle and knee) Also hitting a tree in my car at 60 m.p.h. ---you don't seem to get over that very well. Please respond!!! Thanks a bunch!!! Pamela
  2. pamela

pamela New Member

I was just wondering if the on-line prescription sites for real? Can you really order pain meds on them and really get them? Any body do this now? I live in Texas so I really don't know which one I would order from? The only reason I am wondering this is if my pain mgt. doc were to ever stop my meds I don't know what I would do...I have FMS and major car wreck pain from 2 years ago. (walking w/ metal in my ankle and knee) Also hitting a tree in my car at 60 m.p.h. ---you don't seem to get over that very well. Please respond!!! Thanks a bunch!!! Pamela
  3. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I am also from Texas and for 2 years I couldn't find a doctor that would treat my pain. This is how it works, you usually have to join a site to get the info and then you make an appointment with a doctor which usually costs around $100.00 and then they send you your prescriptions usually by Fedex. Oh, you might have to fax them your records showing you have some kind of DD. They won't call your doctor. For one visit with the doctor you usually get 3 refills. Only deal with the doctors in the US. The other site's you might get your stuff confiscated by the government. I have met some of the nicests most knowledgeable doctors online. Anyway if you have any questions, you can email me. My email is in my bio.

Cindy
  4. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

Does your insurance pay for this type of doctor over the internet? I'm just curious.

Gentleness
  5. cpalance

cpalance New Member

Some do and some don't. You have to search around.

Cindy
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am not at all confident in any doctor who is willing to prescribe medications, having never seen the patient. There is no substitute for a physical exam of the patient. Pain docs will only prescribe for one or two months without seeing their patients in person.

There must be pain docs who will prescribe without having to go this route. I guess if I absolutely could not get a local doc to prescribe relief for my pain, I would be tempted to go this route, but I would be sure to be getting regular exams from my PCP.

Love, Mikie
  7. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I definately agree with you. I used them when I had to, but now I have found a doctor that will treat my pain. All along I was seeing my regular doc for high blood pressure and the like. Regular physicals and stuff. Don't forget, everyone of these (almost) require you to fax them you medical records or they won't prescribe anything. There was one doctor that was so good, somewhere in FL that I wish I could just go to him. He asked me more questions than any doc I have seen in person.
    But if you are stuck and you really need help, it is out there. There is also a Pain Management place (can't remember the name) that will send someone out to your house to give you a physical. No matter what state you live in. Just b/c it's on the internet doesn't necessarily mean it is bad. Sometimes we have to be open minded to new things. So if all else fails, yes there is help out there.

Cindy

8. foggy1

foggy1 New Member

Dear Pamela...Yes,they are for real.It depends on what you will need.And I have found some that do not charge for membership,consultation,etc.Some do and then you feel a bit more protected from scams.Just type into your browser what you want and be patient,as you scroll thru. You do not have to pay for lists sent thru the mail,and I've recently found out that you do not always have to pay for the $100.00 consult...it depends on how strong the drug.I have never tried to get sched II.But you can get hydro,etc.I hope I haven't broken any rules saying this much.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am open minded to trying new things, but I think it's foolhardy to take meds prescribed online regardless of how many records are faxed unless a person is under the care of a doc who can do exams in person. Notice I didn't say it should never be done but I did suggest that anyone doing this be under the care of a local doc.

My fear is that there are desperate people who treat themselves using these online docs without seeing their own physician. A lot can go wrong in 90 days. Records are just that, records of past history. The drugs being prescribed are probably new for the patient and can have some pretty serious side effects.

Again, this is just my opinion and I'm not saying I wouldn't try it if I could not find a doc willing to give me relief from my pain, but I would make sure my local doc knows what's going on. I'll bet many people don't ever tell their docs what they are getting online.

I was fortunate enough to have a pain doc who gave me Morphine when my pain was unbearable, but I used this pain treatment to allow me to find other ways to deal with the pain so I would not have to continue to take narcotics. This will not work for everyone, but I do believe that should be the goal.

As I mentioned in another post, if you take pain meds for years and build to a high tolerance level, there may be nothing short of a lethal dose that the docs can provide if you are in a serious accident or find yourself sick with a painful disease like certain types of cancer.

It's a problem for us, whether to take care of our pain on a short-term basis just to get through the day versus looking down the road long term. Some of us have no choice, but I believe our goal should be to find other treatments which at least help alleviate our pain.

Love, Mikie
  10. pamela

pamela New Member

I agree, about getting pain meds that you never have taken. I was just simply asking due to the un forseen event that something were to happen and I was stuck w/ out anything. I'm a "what if" person. I guess I have had soooo much happen to me I was preparing for the worst. The only thing I would ever, ever nedd to ask for would be something like the hydro... type pain meds. Nothing very strong, as this is the only thing I have ever been able to take. Thanks again--just preparing ahead--Pamela
  11. ctdallas

ctdallas New Member

I have been extremely curious about these online prescriptions for some time and this is the time of year , I need a back up doc for pain meds...Glad to see you all talking openly here...Cindy - where do I find your bio for more info?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2002]
  12. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Our insurance gives us the option of buying locally or via the mail. Since the mail delivery costs $3.00 for a 90 day supply, that is what we generally choose. Refills can be ordered via phone or the internet, but the original must be a hard copy signed by a doctor. If this is what you are considering, it usually takes about a week to get your meds, which is ok if you have enough to last until they arrive. Ours come out of Dallas, TX, and we are in Oregon. For antibiotics, or something you need last week, use a local pharmacy.
    Kathryn