Are there any other homeschoolers out there?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, Aug 19, 2006.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I just wondered if anyone else was homeschooling their children in spite of this dd? We are, by the grace of God. It is not easy, with no energy, brain fog and pain. Our family and friends think we're nuts to even attempt it. But we are because 1) we feel God has called us to do so and 2) just on a practical (maybe selfish?) level, I don't think I have the energy to send my kids to school! LOL. My friends with kids in school seem to live exhausting lifestyles!! We keep things pretty simple and stay home alot. It's pretty easy to do that when you kids are very little. Mine are 6 and 3. Don't know how it will be as they get older and want to be involved in more activities.

I would love to talk to other homeschoolers if there are any here!
  2. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

You and I have spoken in the past. We have a lot in common.
    I have been homeschooling my 12 year old son since February..me, homebound, needs to use a wheelchair/scooter me!!!!
    Why??? Because the school my son was bused to is awful to say the least. I have him up on his math skills and we are going to reintroduce him to a new school when we move (God willing).

I used to volunteer with his elementary school. They offered me a job and asked me to consider subbing. My health got bad and I had to decline the offer.

It is a shame that we have to homeschool our children or fight with the locals schools to see that they educate our kids...I would rather be a good mom than a well liked one as far as the schools go, you know?

If there is anything you would like to know, please ask.
    You know, colleges love homeschooling, it shows stability and support in the home, it is favored when applying for college and there is grant money set aside for homeschoolers.
    There are pros and cons to homeschool and public schools. Please feel free to contact me, I will talk with you about anything, or we could meet up in chat.

Many blessings!
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Our son is autistic and we have twice homeschooled him, not really because we felt we wanted to, but rather because we needed to. The schools failed to provide for him in an acceptable way.

I think homeschool works best with a group of kids and you may be able to join a group in your area to exchange ideas and for activities. The library has a wealth of home school books too. You need to check with your State as to the legal requirements as some states have very strict ones and you have to obey the law. I think in most states you are safe until the child is eight, before you are made to toe the line.

School has largely become crowd control and cramming kids to pass tests and schools to trump up ways of getting around No Child Left Behind, rather than giving them real knowledge.

Even with an autistic child, he learned more in a week at home than he can in 6 months at school. In fact, I have to say that he loves school because of the social component he had in his self contained classroom(away from the normal routines, bullies and cliques)but academically he has gone nowhere at all this year, in fact he is back two years.

He starts Middle School soon and we are beside ourselves as no self contained classroom is available. Inclusion sounds OK on paper but until we live in a kind, gentle and accepting society, mainstream is a nightmare for many children with special needs, particularly ,mental issues.

We are trying him in mainstream (even though they know he is now two years behind academically and about six socially, it is all that is on offer except a classroom where the children cannot even talk or communicate more like warehousing) as he wants to go in, but the writing is on the wall for this to fall down, so I guess we will be back to homeschooling unless some miracle happens. As it is we are going into school with him as we have to to ensure his safety.

He will learn more at homeschool but will miss the routine he has come to love. We also live a short walk from the school, and it raises my hackles to know that they cannot serve him even though it is illegal not to provide an education for all. It is "take it or leave it" and this is an Ivy League University town too!!!

There used to be a great special education school locally but it is now full of juvenile delinquents as they are more profitable to the school district than autistic kids.

However, as you are chosing to homeschool I say go for it. Most homeschooled kids are well balanced, kind and smarter than average. Many enter college thre years earlier BTW.

Good Luck!

Love Anne CRomwell
  4. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

So good to talk to you, SPR30 and Anne! I do remember you SPR30 from the arthritis boards, right? :) I think it was right after my dd was born. Wow, time flies!

We are in a great hs support group that has activities and field trips. Of course, I can't do everything I would like to be able to do, but that's OK for now. We are just doing the best we can. It's amazing how much my son (6) is picking up already, without me really doing anything outstanding. Children are like little sponges!

I want to "talk" to you some more, but I gotta run right now. Hubby needs some talk time! :)

Blessings!
    Julie
  5. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

homeschooling my son with some help of tutors.
    both of us suffering of ME/CFIDS.
    it is not easy and i would prefere to have him in a school, but we dont have any schools here, which are alternative enough to accept partime.
    there is many pro and cons, but the main thing is that the normal school system is failing to many kids and kids with difficultys, health wise or otherwise just dont have a chance.
    there is an vast amount of options on the net available, from online classes , books, even virtual schools online.
    finding the right thing for your child is tricky.
    one famous homeschooling program is Calvert School. i have many more adresses, but have to find them on my laptop. My ME Brain doesnt remember right now. I will get back here with some info later.
    maybe our kids could chat? my boy is ten years old.
    by karina
  6. Lulu28

Lulu28 New Member

I home schooled our daughter for part of 3rd grade (pulled her out of her class as many parents did--horrible teacher!), 5th grade and will again this year and next (7th and 8th grades) She wanted to try Middle School for 6th last year and we just don't like the school system in our town. We are lucky to have a great program that partners with the public schools- that offers many wonderful classes, so our daughter will go there part-time and the rest at home. She speaks Japanese because of this program!

I have RA, OA and Fibromyalgia (plus pernicious anemia and neuropathy) so it's definitely a challenge (!) but worth it.

For high school-we have an AWESOME alternative (not for "bad kids") school down south on our island. Our oldest son went there and our younger son is beginning his Senior year there this year.

Home schooling can rock!

Lulu
  7. natesmommie

natesmommie New Member

I home school my son who's got disabilities,tired of fighting with the school system, i pay &20.00 at edhelper.com,and print lessons form that
    Bernadette
  8. cmc123

cmc123 New Member

I am a homeschooling Mom and was looking at some wonderful books in our local school bookstore. Today, I found their site online and they have all kinds of great books, descent prices too. It is the Walch books. If you look under the Alternative listing, they have many of special living skills ones from keeping a check book to how to get a job interview, taking care of your health, nutrition....just about anything you can think of. You might find what you are looking for there. Good luck, hope this helps you.
    Connie C.
  9. cmc123

cmc123 New Member

You might want to take a look at what the Walch Company has then for sure. They had Alternative educational books on things it sounds like you could use with your daughter. I do remember seeing one on time, and there is one on counting money & making change. There were books to help people learn to function more on their own....everything you could think of. Don't get discouraged. I know the way we feel makes homeschooling an extra challege. Good luck with your search
    Connie
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I find the Haughton Mifflen books you can get at Staples to be very clear and visual, and you can get a grade level that suits her. You may have to get down as low as 2nd grade for the time and math components but maybe 4th grade for comprehension and eglish.

Spectrum Books have a website(and their work books are available all over pretty cheaply)www.ChildrensSpecialty.com
    although they are not esigned for LD kids, I find they work very well indeed.

Also The Reader Rabbit computer programs will trach reading, telling time and simple math very well too. They are prety cheap. I got most of mine on sale at TJ Max.
    Rite Aid have some cheap workbooks and a nice card clock with plastic hands. Look at Staples. We got some really nice stuff there, and very reasonable too.

I absolutely sympathize about the dumbing down that goes on. Our son loved his self contained classroom, but at Middle School they have the kids as you say running errands, wiping the cafeteria tables and gorwing plants, which Danny would love to be doing but it keeps him down.

I am dreading enrolling him next week, even though we have an IEP written up I really cannot see them keeping to it at all. Plus some of the MS kids are sharks for sure.

I did hear about a homeschool computer school where one paid about $2,000 or less(scholarship) per year and I lost the connection. It sounded great as the kids could talk to one another. It could be out of Ontario, Canada.

Maybe I should think about starting one with my friend who is also an exteacher, as the need is surely there.

Thanks for the heads up on Walch and edhelper info.to the people who gave this info.

Love Anne Cromwell
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have to say thanks again for the heads up on the Walch co web site. It is awesome.

We just spent the last hour doing downloads that are free. Danny loved them. I am so excited about the presentation and visual ease of their workbooks and lesson plans I may just set up a small private school myself if needs be, as it would be so easy using their books and materials.

The visuals are great, the language very direct and the explanations so clear.

I wonder why schools are not using this instead of the expensive and horrible "Everyday Math" etc.

Sassy, I am sure you will find something in the content tables to suit the appropriate need for your daughter.

I feel uplifted as I was dreading maybe having to have Danny homeschooled again as I do get tired and really need to get a job too, but I feel I would be up to having four or five kids here working together. Their stuff has come a long way. I have had a few parents ask me if I would be interested in doing a small co-op school and with this material I surely would.

Love and thanks again. Anne Cromwell
  12. cmc123

cmc123 New Member

I'm glad you liked these books too and found something to help you. I was impressed with all the different things they have and it looks like fun too.

Good luck everyone with your homeschooling this year!

Connie
  13. libra55

libra55 New Member

Try www.sycamoretree.com
    I did not homeschool but I did use some of their materials to supplement. I also bought a lot in the Hammett's teachers store. We have them here in New England. I don't know if they are in other parts of the country but there must be an equivalent.

My daughter has Asperger's. She just graduated from high school and is off to college next week. I helped her a lot with her schooling as the public school was full of empty promises that they did not deliver. She had a very hard time in school. She is very eccentric and was not well accepted in our small, provincial town. I hope college will be better for her.

If I had it to do over again I would have homeschooled both my children. The public schools are a nightmare. The teachers are so unmotivated, and some of the younger ones cannot read, write, or spell correctly themselves, or do mathematics. I am 50. My education was so much different. Some of the teachers today spend their whole day on e-mail or surfing the net while the students do worksheets. They are not actively involved in the process of teaching.

Trying to explain Asperger's and the autistic spectrum to some of them was like talking to a wall.

We are our children's first and foremost teachers. I wish I had followed my convictions and done it full time....Hats off to all of you who take this path.

Michelle