are there any retreats for us?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pippi1313, May 2, 2009.

1. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Does anyone know if there are any (affordable!) organized retreats for disabled / chronically ill people?

A friend suggested a convent or monastery that allows people to come on private retreats. But even if I found such a place, & managed to get there by myself, what the heck would I do with myself? Putter about aimlessly?
    I already putter about aimlessly in my apartment all day. LOL

Any suggestions?

Thanks all!
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I am with the local disabled support group (and I'm in an electric scooter and mobility disabled). They get info on various retreats for the disabled. So you may want to check with some of your local senior centers (they lend out rooms for a lot of support groups to meet) to find out if there is a local disabled support group in your area.

The other idea is to go online to find your local Independent Living Center (ILC) at (scroll down to your state then find the one nearest to you). If you are apply and are accepted to join them, many of the ILCs take low cost short trips and you could go with them. The one near me has gone to a candy factory to see how candy is made, to the zoo, to the botanical center, and many other places. Plus the ILCs have craft classes and such that you can do right at the ILCs.

I met a great lady in an electric scooter on a board about two years ago and she used to travel a lot, including flying and cruise ships. So more access is being made for disabled people. Good luck and hugs.

I forgot to tell you that the local disabled group has been a great resource for information. I load up Shelby, my one service animal cat, into my scooter basket, and Shelby and I attend all the local disabled group meetings. The members have told me that Shelby has become a member of the group and they love her, pet her and welcome her.

Our local disabled support group gets speakers, we discuss a lot of disabled issues, and sometimes we all travel on various local transit together to go to lunch that is paid for by the state spinal cord agency that sponsors our group. Using all the new transit and understanding how the systems work for how they lift wheelchairs, power chairs and scooters onto the transit is really very important to learn including how the transit "kneels" to help those with trouble walking not have to step so far up from a road--so we learn together and it isn't as scary.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/02/2009]
  3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Thanks for the info! I'll look into your suggestions. :)