Are there any vegetarians out there struggling with diets?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JoFMS, Dec 26, 2006.

1. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Hi All,

Just wondered if any of you are vegetarian? I have been vegetarian all my life and therefore will never even dream of eating meat or fish.

However, since I've been diagnosed of fibromyalgia, cfs and poss candida, everyone talks about diet but looking at what I can eat doesn't leave much as I am already restricted so am worried it will make me worse in the long term if I restrict it even more.

I haven't eaten sugar for the last 2 months and have avoided bread mostly.

Any veggies out there with opinions on diet for us folk?

I mean should I eat soya, cheese, eggs as my source of protein? If I cut out anything else I fear I will be undernourished.

Thanks all,any advice appreciated xx

2. Catseye

Catseye Member

I've been going back and forth with either no meat at all, or a little chicken or fish. I find those meats make me feel stronger. But if you eat a good bit of brown rice and beans, that makes a "complete" protein and you can still get everything you need. Between rice and beans and eggs, you should be fine. Just make sure you get enough B vitamins, even if you have to supplement. I'd stay away from soy, though, there's too much negative information about it.

Do you tolerate dairy well, or does it make you tired? That may be an issue, I can't eat it in any form.

best wishes,

karen
  3. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Do you take coenzyme Q10? It's hard for vegetarians to get enough without eating meat. It can help your energy levels.

Another thing I like to eat is whole fat Stoneyfield plain yogurt with almonds or walnuts. It's really yummy!! I have candida, so I have a limited diet also, but I do eat meat and feel better when I do. I also eat a lot of nuts or I get too hungry.

I never eat soy (see soy thread) and eat very little cheese.
  4. asdfjkl1

asdfjkl1 New Member

I'm vegan, have been for almost 15 years. Vegetarian for 24 years. This summer, I did a diet that is supposed to help with inflammation and arthritis (I have psoriatic arthritis). The diet was the most restrictive thing I've ever done. One pound of raw veggies, one pound of cooked veggies, one cup of beans, four fruits, 1 ounce of nuts, and an optional one cup of grains. Absolutely no sugar, no processed grains (no bread), no processed foods (no tofu, no tempeh), no added salt, no dried fruit. I did this for about three months. I am sure I was healthier for it, but it didn't help my auto-immune arthritis, and it was very expensive. I am still and will always be vegan, but just not that restrictive.

If you eat a varied diet, with beans and a variety of vegetables and fruits and nuts and grains, you should be fine. People tend to underestimate how much protein veggies and legumes and beans and nuts have, and people also tend to overestimate how much protein humans really need.
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    I was a vegetarian for a couple of years,under supervision, and then I crashed, and was diagnosed with CFIDS. My Dr. told me not to diet and to eat some meat, because of the particular type of protein that it gives the body. I was told not to be a vegetarian. So, I eat some fowl or fish, and one piece of red meat a month (however lately, I feel better without the red meat, and so I don't eat it, until I am feeling weak).

You have been a vegetarian for a long time, so it might not be as critical for you to eat some meat. It is hard not to become deficient, nowadays, when most of the veggies at the suprmarket are from genetically matipulated seeds. Even the seeds in packets, are.

Good luck with your decision.
    Terry
  6. SweetT

SweetT New Member

I'm a non-practicing vegetarian/vegan. The last time I was vegetarian/almost-vegan was the first part of 2004. I felt so much better. My fatigue subsided, periods were lighter, etc. Now, I eat meat (sometimes) except for pork. My body doesn't tolerate dairy too well. I find that I do best when my diet is mostly vegetarian, but I eat meat 3-6 times a month. When I cut the meat completely out, I wind up pigging out on vegan sweets.

Perhaps you should try eating raw foods for a few days, to make the cravings go away. Only fruits and veggies, perhaps pureed in a food processor, to make a meal. Or you can heat the food up. I made some delicious veggie burgers out of raw cabbage, beans, nutritional yeast, and a little flour. Then I lightly fried the patties in some olive oil.
  7. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I have CFS. When I was a vegetarian, I had a naturopath suggest I eat one egg per day, it's not too much if you don't eat meat.