Are There Way Too Many Lurkers Here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, Mar 20, 2010.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

It is making me uneasy to see how many people read posts vs. actual replies. In my opinion, there are way more lurkers here than ever before, and frankly, I am finding it a bit unsettling.

Anybody else notice this?

2. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Actually, I know for myself, that sometimes I may just be looking for information and will either find what I'm looking for or not. If I don't find what I'm looking for I guess I feel silly just writing a "Hi, I was here" response. Sometimes I just don't have anything to add because the content of the post may be way over my foggy brain!

And, if I don't have anything nice to say, I don't say anything at all. One of my mottos (sp?) is that I don't say anything to anyone on-line that I couldn't / wouldn't say to someone in person.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

there have been far more lurkers than those who post, always. I wonder if there's a statistic somewhere on how many 'members' are registered here.

Because every once in a while I see a post by someone 'new' who says they've been a member & reading posts for YEARS, yet it's their first post...

4. sisland

sisland New Member

I believe that non members or first timers can swoop in and read all about us, no matter what! The Winter chat post had over 1300 viewers in a short amount of time and only 3-4 posters ,,,,so decided to not continue with it,,,,,Ya just never know who is Lurking!
  5. kjade

kjade New Member

Hi everybody!
    Yes, I do think there are a lot of lurkers here. When I opened this post, there were 63 views and only 4 posts. Now if those 4 people each read the thread 4 times (read it first and then read it again after each reply was made) that is only 16 views, right? Then you have the regulars who come here every day and they probably read it, but didn't have anything to say (I do that a lot...sometimes I don't know what to say, or I have nothing that I think would be of value to the thread) - anyway, that would be about 20 more views. Still....that is only about 36-40 views. So who are the other 20 some viewers?? Hmmmm?

I find that this board isn't as busy as it used to me. It makes me sad. Posts used to fly on here. I think a lot of people left because they weren't getting anything from the FM/CFS board, maybe? There is a lot of arguing over there that I don't like, and it just seems that those that ask for help are bumped way down because the threads that are most popular are the busiest ones, and I don't find those helpful at all.

But I have known you guys for so long, and I love coming here to "chat" with you all. It just seems that when I post I don't get as many replies as I used to. Maybe I am really boring? LOL

I worry about lurkers too, cause you never know who is reading here and not posting. I worry about people in my "real life" who may know that I come here and may be spying on me (paranoid much?? LOL) - I mean anyone that knows me would know right away that it's me if they read my posts.....I don't even need to use my real name. And sometimes I delete things because I worry about those people getting ahold of my private thoughts and info. KWIM?

So...there I went rambling again...can't help it! And HELLO LURKERS!!!!!!! :)
  6. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I've been on for yrs. but only posted a little.It's true that the boards would just fly everyday.Everyone was friendly and I felt comfortable asking questions.There were always little spats going on but I never got into any of that.

The FM board is very different now.A lot of strong opinions on research and things I'm not really interested in.Maybe if I were younger and in my prime.
    I have to say I don't feel comfortable posting there anymore.

I still lurk to pick up information and recognize people who have been here for a long time. I look in on the Porchies sometimes and try and pick up their personalities but my life is way to boring to be of interest and I tuned in to late to know who's what.They seem nice though.I got in on the start of Loungers and it's more my speed.It's enough to remember who said what for me on there.

I don't worry about people watching or lurking I'm pretty careful on line and Maybe all those lurkers are even more careful then me so I hope some of what they read helps or brightens their day.

7. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I HOPE my family is lurking so they really know how I feel! No one seems to care enough to ask any more. With the exception of my wonderful husband and kids.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2010]
  8. pumkinhead

pumkinhead New Member

I am fairly new back again. I have been trying to read some post to get to know know ya all.

My concentration is limited. I do not understand why there are at least three groups. I get
    confused easily.

I tend to reply to the individual post that i can relate to. Every one is so nice here.

I notice there are not as many post on the fibro board as well.
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

I've checked this post about 4X in between responding and now. Multiply that by those who come and just re-check and re-read without posting ...

I think for many just reading is enough to give comfort or humor and to make them not feel so alone.

10. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Not sure why, but just not posting much. Maybe taking prozac and chantix together has had an effect. Maybe I just don't feel have much new to add. I don't know. Just is. I've had a lot of fun and conversations,etc, though. Not sure what....... everything fine here though. Maybe it's the economy. Still here, Your Mr Bill

(Or, maybe it's the still unwon War against bedbugs. I'll write more when final Victory is achieved. Curses!)

[This Message was Edited on 03/24/2010]
  11. lukro

lukro Member

When I first joined (years ago now), I always posted. Once the fights started, and they always do, I quit posting. I read for info and post very rarely. I suspect others are tired of the fighting. I know by author who I want to read and who to avoid.

I seldom post but I always read.
  12. JimB51

JimB51 Member

I just love it when I see like 175 VIEWS to my posts and 4 replies.
    Does wonders for my self esteem. LOL

I'm guilty too of sometimes doing a quick check just out of curiosity and leaving without replying.
    It's like going into a store. Sometimes it's easier to just slip back out the door than to say to the clerk "sorry, just browsing" : )
  13. stick2013

stick2013 Member

This place has changed, and in my opinion NOT for the good. The whole board has issues, that nothing is being done about. From technical to members. Pro Health needs to get with the program and start fixing and addressing the issues of this place.....

Until they do, I will mostly lurk!!!!!!
  14. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I'm careful where I post and to whom I post. I, too, fear being attacked for what I say.

I often wonder if there indeed ARE any moderators...

There is no safe haven on the medical board. Those who rule the board are the ones with the most combative personalities.

15. quanked

quanked Member

on how I am feeling whether or not I am a "lurker" lol. The way the word is used here is new to me. I think of lurking as not such a nice thing.

I (and imagine most people here) do not have the energy to reply to every post or even most posts. Sometimes I read the boards and want to respond to any number of posts but cannot because I feel too, too icky or I do not see anything new. I guess I really do lurk a lot.

Also, there are some posters I will not read. Either the poster is just too abrasive, too insensitive to the fact that others will read what they write, or just drama kings/queens. It seems that some members just keep themselves caught up in the same process over and over and over. The circumstances may change but the process is generally the same--they are victimized over and over and their reactions are same almost every time and it get so, so old.

I have known people like this in the past and what they are doing today you can bet they will be doing in 5 years. But they often get many sympathetic responses on here so in that way it works for them. It isn't that I do not feel pity from them but I am not up to reading the same story over and over and wasting my very valuable energy to repeat myself time and again--woosh--I am getting dizzy here...

kjade--before the prohealth changed the format of this board there were many more posters and the board was always moving, moving, moving. I miss it to. We lost a lot of posters in that change. Many of us did not want the change (I did not) because of the difficulty involved in making the adjustment. I think some people just couldn't figure out the technicalities of the change with their computers and when they got on the board.

And there use to be much more of a response when someone posed a question or asked for help. I do not know what has happened here regarding this matter. It does seem that certain threads really to capture the attention of many here while the requests for infomation are mostly ignored. I hope this changes.

Maybe I am wrong but I think it is pretty easy to avoid the rabble rousers. I ignore a lot. As soon as I realize I am reading someone who enjoys conflict, or just wants to agitate the board I stop reading their post/reply. I am not going to let these types keep me from getting some of what I need from this board.

I value this board very much. Just knowing that there are others somewhere who know what I deal with each day is of great comfort to me. As I write this I realize that I get lots and lots of comfort from lurking. I do not intend anyone harm by lurking.

Before I found this board I was not doing anything to help myself because I did not know what to do. Not that I have improved much but the act of try is sometimes its own medicine. I now take some very good vitamins, I now know that it was just not imagination that I could not think very well somedays, that there is an oddly timed consequence for overdoing it and so much more.

I do not really worry about lurkers. What are they going to do to me? I am not hiding from anyone (I just do not want contact with others for the most part) and I just cannot imagine anyone bothering to put the effort out to read this board if one is not suffering with these dd's. I realize that others have different situations and they should behave accordingly.

Greetings to my fellow lurkers, lol! I mean this in the most comic way.

[This Message was Edited on 03/31/2010]