Are these meds really for fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by diggity, Sep 22, 2002.

1. diggity

diggity New Member

When I was diagnosed with this awful thing, my doc prescribed Celebrex for me. Everyone who knew about that prescription sang its praises very highly. I was told that it was a miracle cure and to expect to feel better right away. I took it for 3 months with not a single change in sight. I kept waiting to feel differently, but it just didn't happen. I went back to my doc, told him, and he prescribed Mobic. Again I was told that it was a wonderful new drug that would have me feeling bight eyed and bushy tailed in no time at all. OK, so that's been at least two months now, and still no sign of a bushy tail in sight. Now I have been told that both of these drugs are simply "glorified aspirin" used exclusively for combatting inflamation. aarrrrghhhh!!! The only thing that seems to have any affect so far on this pain is hydracodone, and it must be in massive doses. I have started to look into different things that are out there, but I am curious as to the meds that I have already tried. Does anyone know if they have ever been any good to anyone with this disease, or if they are, as I'm now being told, fancy aspirin?
  2. diggity

diggity New Member

When I was diagnosed with this awful thing, my doc prescribed Celebrex for me. Everyone who knew about that prescription sang its praises very highly. I was told that it was a miracle cure and to expect to feel better right away. I took it for 3 months with not a single change in sight. I kept waiting to feel differently, but it just didn't happen. I went back to my doc, told him, and he prescribed Mobic. Again I was told that it was a wonderful new drug that would have me feeling bight eyed and bushy tailed in no time at all. OK, so that's been at least two months now, and still no sign of a bushy tail in sight. Now I have been told that both of these drugs are simply "glorified aspirin" used exclusively for combatting inflamation. aarrrrghhhh!!! The only thing that seems to have any affect so far on this pain is hydracodone, and it must be in massive doses. I have started to look into different things that are out there, but I am curious as to the meds that I have already tried. Does anyone know if they have ever been any good to anyone with this disease, or if they are, as I'm now being told, fancy aspirin?
  3. donmia

donmia New Member

a few of these meds. It seems everyone reacts differently to them. i tried mobic and viox. they did nothing at all for me. Yet i hear they are great for others. I cant take celebrex because it has sulphur in it. I am alergic. Im sure they will find something that works. I am now taking bextra, it helps a little. I do find that if i am having a really bad day, i take an extra zanaflex.I usually take these only at bedtime. They make me a little tiried but, if its a real bad day, a little tiried is ok.lol
    Good luck , and keep us posted.
    Donna
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

Celebrex and Vioxx are both used for arthritis and its inflamation. However from what I understand they do not touch the pain of FMS. I'm not familiar with Mobic, so I can't help you there.

Many people, including myself, have had good luck using Ultram, which is a non-narcotic pain reliever. Common dosage is 1-2 50mg. tabs up to 4 times daily. I take one, four times a day. The pain's not completely gone, but it's usually under good enough control that I am able to function, as long as I pace myself. I also have CFS, so that affects my activity level a lot.

You will also find that many take magnesium and/or a combo of Magnesium and Malic Acid. I take both and order from the Pro-Health store. They have high quality supplements and good prices.

I would suggest that you read as much as you can about your specific symptoms and ask questions specific to them to find what you might want to try next. Only add one new thing at a time so if there is a problem you'll know the cause, and if it works well, you'll know for sure what is working!

You can go to the library on this site to begin your research and supplement it with posts from the board. Most topics have been addressed several times in the past. I have a problem reading long written passages, so I avoid them and look for shorter ones which are easier for me to comprehend. I have been greatly affected with cognitvie problems that are so common with these illnesses.

Best of luck to you. You have taken the first step and that's the most important and difficult one there is!

Barbara
  5. herblady

herblady New Member

i've tried celebrex, vioxx and mobic. they didn't help. they are for arthritis, although they didn't help mine. they are for inflammatory conditions and fm is noninflammatory. so why do they keep putting us on them? dumb. cindi