Are thyroid problems commom with FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tngirl, Oct 18, 2005.

1. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I have to have more testing, it looks like mine is enlarged on the right side of my neck.

Has anyone experience this and what did you do about it?
    [This Message was Edited on 10/18/2005]
  2. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I went to the free seminar at the Dallas Fibro & Fatigue Center last night and they talked at length about thyroid issues and I believe they even said that the majority of FM patients have thyroid issues of some sort. Their lab runs a number of thyroid tests there that most doctors usually don't order.

I haven't decided whether to go to the FFC or not, but if not I will definitely ask my primary care doctor about checking my thyroid out in greater detail.

Kat
  3. sassykat

sassykat New Member

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid 4 years ago. This was around the same time that my fibro symptoms really began to be prevelent. Thyroid symptoms are very similar to fibro, hair loss, fatigue, weight gain, etc. I don't know if there is a connection, but it does seem to connect to each other.
    Sassykat
  4. cafe52

cafe52 New Member

I think most deffinately it is connected, I even looked up Wilsons syndrom I'm sure most of you have heard of this I did a google search for it clicked on one of the links and got info on Thyroid and Fibromyalgia.
  5. cafe52

cafe52 New Member

I have had a low thyroid for about 20years now but my fibo symptoms I ahve only had for about10 I think and they get worse all the time
  6. elliespad

elliespad Member

right after my daughter was born in 1983. At first was VERY HEYPERTHYROID, then Euthroid BUT,,, grew a goiter, until it reached the size of an orange and couldn't breathe, or speak, turned tingly and numb when lying down. Had SEVERE respiratory infection that wouldn't clear. Dr's kept telling me I had Asthma. Would be in and out of E.R. telling them I could hardly breathe, felt like a shelf in my throat. They would give me nebulizer treatments, saying I had bronchitis and asthma. I KNEW I had NEITHER>

Finally, a doctor who listened to me and knew to order the right tests. I had STRIDOR. My trachea was compressed and was practically whistling when breathing. Had a HUGE retrosternal goiter (mine grew BELOW the collarbone). Had Right Thyroidectomy. Now mind you, this goiter developed over many years, all the while being told my LEVELS WERE NORMAL. AND being told I had asthma and bronchitis. I KNEW I didn't. Surgery was in 1991 or 92. On Synthroid for few years, then Accupuncturist switched me to Armour. Did that until I took my self off all Thyroid meds 2 years ago.

Moral of the story - Tests dont mean much. Docs don't know everything. And often less than we do. Go with your instincts.

My best guess is if the doc knew to order the RIGHT tests, you should be given either a T3 only (Cytomel), or T3/T4 combnation such as Armour or Thyrolar. But sadly, they usually stubbornly order a T4 only (such as Synthroid).
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2007]
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

Some form of thyroid disfunction in CFS/FM is very common. I just got back from having a check up with my intergrated doc.... (is treating my endocrine issues).

My t3 was just alittle low, t4 fine but the reverse t3 is wacked out. Any normal testing done would come back fine. (Many docs don't test the frverse t3.)

I'm treated with compounded t3.

I don't know what causes the HPA axis to go south on CFS/FM patients, but it does. Unfortuneately, not all doctors have a handle on how to take care of CFS/FM patient's specific hormonal problems.

I wish you luck with your treatment. Bringing the thyroid into balance helps greatly with symptoms.

Elsa