Are we fibro/CFS folks more vulnerable to say SARS or West Nile?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carolyn0508, May 31, 2003.

1. Carolyn0508

Carolyn0508 New Member

Just wondering because a case of West Nile was recently verified in my area. Are we more likely to exhibit the worst of the symptoms should we contract it because of our off-balance immune system? Or could it be that we do so much to try to boost our immune system that we're more protected? Just thinking.

Thanks & Cheers
    Carolyn
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I don't think anyone has thought of this one. I live in the'mosquito' state, Louisiana! They should make it the State Bird around here they get so big.

I just make sure that I do not go outside too early in the morning, and stay in at dusk as that is when they are the worst. I also wear long sleeves and pants when I am outdoors right now (socks too).

Its hot, but I don't give them any extra flesh to bit on during those hours!

Also be sure not to let any standing water around. They will breed in the drip trays of flower pots this time of the year.

I am always changing my dogs water too, I have well water, no clorine in it, its also a breeding place for those miserable things.
    I have four birdbaths, and one large container on the ground for the deer and other wild animals, I am always changing that water too.

There have been many cases of West Nile in my area, I think it was 250 afflicted last year, I believe six older people died.

I doubt if the SARS thing will bother anyone unless you travel to the areas that it is in. I don't get out of the 'woods' here too often!

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

IMO, I would think that we would be more susceptible
    to it if exposed.

I often worry about that. My brother, who lives
    in FLA and works in NY, was in Hong Kong a few
    weeks before SARS. He and his wife and mother-in-law escaped any problems.

Now, I worry about him visiting us. I am very sick
    with FMS and everything else, and my mother is
    battling cancer. In my opinion, I don't think he
    should visit us because I worry about the risks.
    I haven't said anything to him because I don't know
    if it is stupid! Guess I wonder if he could be a carrier even though he didn't get it himself. He travels for
    his job and comes in contact with so many people.

Lynn
  4. Elbryan

Elbryan New Member

I wonder if anyone else has heard anything about this
  5. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Hi,

I just saw a segment on CNN news and there was
    a woman on there who has a theory that maybe my
    being afraid of my brother isn't so crazy. I don't
    know if she is a dr and it hasn't been proven, but
    she seems to think that it is possible for people
    without symptoms to be carriers without knowing.
    Lynn
  6. Kurt

Kurt New Member

I really like my primary and secondary doctors. They are both knowledgeable about FM. According to both of them, FM does not fall in the category of a suppressed immune system, so it was their opinion that I should not worry about whether or not FM will increase the likelihood of getting very sick or dying from the two. Both of them seem very confidant in their answer. Either way, I am still a little bothered with the prospect of getting West Nile or SARS within the context of FM, especially sense no really knows what is wrong with most of us.

Kurt
  7. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

That is good to know; however, I catch everything under the sun. After what I heard on CNN, even though it
    isn't confirmed, I wouldn't want my brother visiting
    for awhile. It is nice to hear what drs. have to say- even if I am not sure whether or not to believe them.
    Lynn

[ advertisement ]