Are We So Medicated That We Can't Find Any Relief?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Oct 31, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Fibromyalgia can be debilitating in all of its forms. This condition also has a remarkably wide range of symptoms and intensities and can be difficult to detect and treat.

A major problem today is that people with this condition are often so medicated with such a wide variety of pharmaceuticals that they begin to have more complicated problems from their medications, while finding little or no relief from the fibromylagia.

Do you agree?

2. JLH

JLH New Member

I should have added to my post that this is not my statement!!

I've been searching the net today re fibro to see if I could learn anything new .... I ran across an article that made this statement and just wondered what everybody thought about it!!

I do take a large amount of meds, but only 3 are for my fibro, so I don't think I'm overmedicated as far as it goes. In fact, I think I would use more meds if I could get what relief that I am looking for!!!

I only take Cymbalta, Neurotin, and Zanaflex for the fibro.

Janet
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I did try in 1997, to quit the Prozac and after 3 weeks doing that cold turkey, I had to get back on it because my pain was so bad.

I think that statement would relate more to my diabetes that I seem to be struggling with than the FMS. My endo wants to put me on Glucophage and I already have IBS-D.

I have joined a Diabetes group because I need so much support with that and I can't expect to get that support here since it is a FMS/CFS board.

I just feel right now I need more support for my diabetes than I do for my FMS, but I'll continue to come here for FMS support as well.

Hope you are feeling well, my friend.

Big hugs,
    Faye
  4. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I completely agree!! However, one should NEVER stop taking meds cold turkey. I was on several meds, including Effexor and had to wean off for months and it was horrible!! But now that the only med I'm on is Topamax for my migraines I feel better than I have in years! I wasn't feeling any better on all the meds so I decided to give it a try and found that all the side effect from the meds were making me feel worse anyway.

I'm less stressed, I have more money and feeling better! I do eat much healthier, do very light exercise and yoga/meditation for stress relief and these things really seem to help a ton.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

damage that can be done to our insides from NSAIDS and the unknown long term effects of many of the off label meds they are giving people. OFten their side effect lists are longer than I am tall. But I have only one side effect that's listed for pain medications and that's constipation..but I've had that my whole life before I ever heard of any medication. I feel SO much better with my pain relieved even if it's not to a 100% level, I never asked for that or expected it. But I would hate to go BACK to the so called existance I had before when pain ruled my nights and days.
  7. Danielle

Danielle New Member

and still feel like hell. I think that more meds would make for possibly more side affects. I was on 20 pills at one time when this first started. The only things that have helped are vicodin and serax. I am currently only taking 1 vicodin a day.

Danielle
  8. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

For me its been about finding the right balance. I found the right pain med at the right dose that works for me. I also exercise on my tredmill, try to eat better, I get to bed early, I dont take on any more stress than necessary, I take bio identical hormones, etc. So for me its been about finding the things that work and balancing them and my life. It took 4 years of juggling to figure it out but its paying off now.
    hugs. poodlemum
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Well, I am not overmedicated when it comes to the fibro, because I only take Cymbalta, Neurotin, and Zanaflex.

But I am probably one of the most "total" overmedicated ones on this board! I take about 23 different meds a day, but I have a ton of problems (see my bio).

I take 3 different heart meds, 3 oral meds for diabetes plus one injectable med (insulin), 2 blood pressure meds, etc. Every doctor that I go to knows everything that I take, I give them all a current list each time, and they all agree that there is nothing that I can cut out.

So far, I don't think that I am having any problems from any of the meds overlapping or anything.

This statement, taken from an article that I just read, makes it sound like fibro patients are given tons of meds, and I don't think that most people here are given that many for their fibro.

Janet