Are you a senior?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Denamay, May 10, 2006.

1. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I am wondering how many of us are a little older. Have you improved or gotten worse over time?

I am 66 and have had this condition for about thirty years. The pain has changed from time to time over the years, it is worse now and more constant. But I am in better shape re. exercise, diet, suppliments, etc. I have pretty good muscle strength and endurance and no longer need a cane.

Strange how I am worse and better at the same time. How about you? I am hoping things ease up as time goes on.

Love to all the grannies and granpas out there.
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I'm a grannie. I have FM/CFS and I believe it's gotten worse as time goes on. I'm only 46, but I feel like a senior. LOL And I am a grandmother. My granddaughter is 7.

God Bless.
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

denamay:
    Clock me in at 56. I have been thinking about moving into an adult community, but do not want to give up my house just yet. If and when the time comes that I need 'assisted living' I will probably make the move to one of them.

nyrofan
  4. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I think there must be at least one more senior? Please tell us about yourself. Denamay
  5. kbak

kbak Member

Denamay,
    Wow, I haven't heard that name for a while. Use to have a family friend named Denamay. I'm turning 54 this summer. Am I technically a senior? Is it like the retirement age where they just keep raising that. I think we should keep raising the "senior age" and maybe I'll never get there!

I know how funny this DD can be. I've had day's where I have felt better and worse, but generally I feel like I'm better than I was.

When your at the bottom, you can only go up right? There are so many things that affect us, and everyone is different. Hope you find some pain relief. That can wear a person down fast.

Take care,
    K.
  6. CATHYRG

CATHYRG New Member

i too am a senior. i believe i am holding my own. my rheumatologist told me once the older we are when we contact an autoimmunine disease the better it is because we usually (keyword usually)have it easier then others who contact it at a younger age. i figure i was in my 50ties when i was diagnosed. i had had problems for a few years before but all docs blamed change of life................
    cathy
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I've been living with fibro all my life.I just didn't put the symptoms together.I was diagnosed 2 years ago when it became severe,I can't walk very much but I am finally managing my pain better.Linda

8. chickadee

chickadee New Member

I'm just old. Will be 66 this year. My husband will be 78 Friday. We had planned and expected to be having the time of our life right about now.

It ain't gonna happen. I'm glad we have some good memories.

I have had fibromyalgia since I was about 49 years old - tried and tried to find out what was wrong and when I was told nothing was wrong, I tried to perform as if there was nothing wrong. I have all the usual symptoms plus a few like a heart valve replacement last year and ITP (low blood platelets) that I acquired some where along the line. The ITP keeps me from being able to use a lot of things that might help with the fibromyalgia. I did get a diagnosis of fibro about 5 years ago.

It gets less fun(er) the older I get.

Peace
    Chickadee
  9. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi.
    I'm almost 69 and I've had CFIDS since at least 1970.

I'm defnitely worse. My endurance is a lot less and I can't walk as far as I could. Now, I'm lucky if I can make it to my mailbox and back.

I think what has changed for the better is my acceptance. I have almost no toxic people around me, now, and not having to deal with them, and the stresses they caused, has given me more peace. I think I would be a whole lot worse if I had not changed my life.

Also, I'm not a caretaker of anyone any more. Although I was glad to help out,It's wonderful, being able to adjust my life to my needs, and not have to please anyone else for a change. I can do what I can, and not do what I can't, without anyone putting me down, or wheedling me to do what they want. Now, I have hopes of getting better, with the help of acupuncture. And, if I don't, well, I know I've done all I can,and I can be at peace.

Terry
    p.s. I should have added that I was speaking generally. In the past few months I've started with acupuncture treatments, and I am now improving. I have hope for the future. T.[This Message was Edited on 05/14/2006]
  10. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies.

We seem to range in age from the forties to the sixties.

When I look back over my past thirty years, I see myself like some of you,still trying to accept life as it is, and at the same time working hard to get better.

Wow, to think that we keep trying after a lifetime of being ill and all dealing with all of the losses that come with it.We must be some special people!

My help list is : getting rid of the poisons in my life including people, doing only what I am able and the devil take the rest,good food, friends, family and environment are all that really matters. Some have a strong faith that helps them through the hard days.

I don't know why some some of us have a harder time than others.Some deal with bad relationships, financial and family problems along with this disease. I am truly amazed at how remarkable people on this board are.
    Here's to hope and tomorrow. Love Denamay
  11. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I was that when I was in high school right after being a sophmore and then a junior.... Just out of curiousity, what age is considered a senior? Some days I feel a hundred and I'm only half way there.........Well maybe a little over half...

P.S. - I've had this junk for over two decades and have slowly gotten worse..
  12. Scarlett2

Scarlett2 New Member

By the calendar, I'm 54. On bad days I'm 100, but on good days, I'm 25! (Well, I do walk slower than I did at 25, but I try to think young!) I hang around with my 32 year old daughter who also acts about 25, so when I'm having a good day, we seem like equals instead of mother daughter!! We even got tattoos together! (Which would just horrify my very straight-laced mother!!) I figured, why not! My body is slowly going to hell in a handbasket so why not decorate it on it's trip!! haha

Scarlett
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

Denamay, I am 64 and feel as I get older I get worse or at least not any better..I have CFS first fibro second..

I have a few good days and that is about it..I am becoming more house bound and unable to excerise..Just my household chores, and grocery shopping (when I can) is about all the exercise I can do..

Have developed agoraphobia and a lot of anxeity problems..My pain is more in my legs with a deep throbing ache in the bone..

I am going to start letting some of the housework go and try to go for short walks hoping it won't send me into a crash..

I am just rambling but I am a senior...

God Bless,
    greatgran
  14. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

but I like to think of us as oldies but goodies. I"m still hoping that when my husband retires we can still have some good times.
    I know we won"t be able to travel, but still hope we can do things and enjoy our retirement.
    I"m 61.
    sixtyslady
  15. cycling

cycling New Member

I'm an office manager for a senior apt bldg. When I have trouble walking I feel older than some of them. Some symptoms I have had all my life. So never went to the Dr for them. But as I've gotten older it has gotten worse. When I was 45ish I had a flare that lasted till 2001. Then I got better for 2 years and than even worse than before in 04 & 05 and this year a little better. But one day I come to work feeling somewhat normal and others I can't walk and am in so much pain. I've been hoping menopause would relieve some of the symptoms but I'm cursed with on going periods. No signs of letting up.

I guess I've been hoping menopause was the answer.

cycling

Ps How do I get the edit sign to go off?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/11/2006]
  16. janieb

janieb New Member

Yes, I am 62. Worked until 60 and took early retirement. My disease has not gotten better since retirement, but at least I don't have to get up at 5 a.m., dress,makeup, oh well, you get the idea. I no longer have board meetings that last until midnight and all those good things, plus the phone ringing at home at all hours.

We have lots of guests, and I love them all, but maybe it is a bit much. I'm slowly eliminating toxic people, but there never were that many. They don't understand why you can't do things when they want to.

Trying new programs all the time. I'm concerned about the prices for medicare and supplemental drugs and medical insurance. I need to forget that for a few more years because it's just dragging me down. Seems I go from high to low. Not on any antidepressants. My doctor told me that when I didn't want to get out of bed for 3 weeks straight, I should come and see her. I take Tramadol for pain and not too many medicines you can use with that.

janieb
  17. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Do not depend on menopause to fix things. But, after saying that, I no longer have migrain headaches and all those nasty PMS and menstral problems since menopause. This is a BIG plus.If I still had those awfull headaches with the other pain and stuff, I do not think I could cope.
    Sorry dear, this is a bit of a downer. Love Denamay
  18. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I will be 60 in november but I have a nearly 12 year old son-my oldest son just turned 40 (LOL).

I think that I have the older woman thing going on as well as the FM. I get my FM in flares. Presently I am having median nerve issues though.

I understand that worse and better thing though. SAlso I am not relaly working at the moment except about 25 hrs a week remodeling the house. I think I am more resigned to illness and thankful I did not have this when I was really young too.

Love Anne C
  19. cma331

cma331 New Member

Looks like I win the Booby prize.

I appear to be the oldest Sr. checking in......

69 here.....

Dx about 7 years ago......but was ill before that.

Retired at that time.....And feel I have gone downhill. Homebound a lot.....Live alone since my husband died 2 1/2 years ago from Lou Gherigs disease.

I do have a part tme housekeeper.....cause I just can't do it all. My finances are suffering.

The best thing I have done for this DD.....is to go on Nexavir; the new Kutapressin. It is a daily self injection......( If anyone wants any more info on it.......just ask)

I love this topic that was brought up.

I have to cut this short....but hope a lot others respond.

Soft Hugs, Carole
  20. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes. I turned 68 recently.

I began my life slowly, picked up major speed in my 40s, then came to a slowdown in my mid-50s with CFS eleven years ago. I've been divorced for (eek) 25 years so am on my own and my heart goes out to the rest of you who are as well. Sure, there are good things about being able to do what you need to do when you need to do it (like go to bed at 7:30 p.m.)but it gets lonely with isolation of this illness, doesn't it....?

I recently tried going off my SSRI and threw myself into a setback the likes I've not seen in 11 years of this. BAH.

Hugs to all "seniors" and kids out there, too. Here's to better days.

Marta