ARE YOU BUYING YOUR SUPPLEMENTS FROM PRO HEALTH?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 1sweetie, Sep 14, 2006.

1. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

There is a very nice article about Rich Carson in About.com's recent Your Guide to Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome email newsletter by Karen Richards.

I wish all could read the entire article but after reading the article I want to know, ARE YOU BUYING YOUR SUPPLEMENTS FROM PRO HEALTH??? If we are not, we should be. This is an excerpt from the article on Mr.Carson.

PROHEALTH TODAY

Although ProHealth is a for-profit company, it has always been run more like a nonprofit, giving away more of its profit than any other company. To date ProHealth has donated more than $2.5 million to organizations dedicated to researching and finding treatments for CFS and FM.

Dedicated to being a resource for support and education, ProHealth maintains the immunesupport.com website which contains the largest FM & CFS treatment and research library in the world, with over 10,000 articles and abstracts.

They also offer message boards, chat rooms and two free e-newsletters (one on FM and one on CFS). Something that impresses me about the immunesupport.com website is that, although ProHealth has nutritional products to sell, they do not push their products on the reader with intrusive ads. There may be a few very subtle links to products, but the vast majority of the site is filled with helpful, easy-to-read information. They truly live up to their motto: Commerce With Compassion.

Carson didn’t take an income from ProHealth, but preferred to focus on fundraising for research. He had developed a good relationship with most of the CFS researchers and was able to fund many of them, donating almost 100% of ProHealth’s profits to research.

Updated: September 14, 2006Important disclaimer
    information about this About site.

Please consider that ProHealth should always be our first choice when we are purchasing supplements.

What better way to get good supplements and for us to be able to fund the Advocacy Causes that are so important to all of us!

We have made a difference. Let's continue.

Thanks to all of the members that have helped by writing letters and sending emails on our behalf. Now lets make sure we add our $$$ also. It is for us. Let's support the person that makes the board possible for us and let's support all the research and advocacy groups that are working for us.

[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2006]
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

The few supplements I take come from Pro-Health. Very good products and very fast service.

I feel that they provide this board, and we should support them...but it isn't a burden. Their customer service is wonderful and they have specials, etc.

An al-around good outfit.

Hope others will try them.

Just my say...

Sue
  3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

There is a place on the bottom of each page where you can email them. That's a great question.

Send them an email and let us know please.

The company is so good to us that I feel like it is my responsibility to support them if they carry the product that I need.

You get to choose what organization that you want your donation to be sent to. I think that is great. The government does not want to fund research for us.
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I have order something from them once. For me, living in Canada I have to pay many added costs to the price plus it takes alot longer to reach me.

I can't afford to pay those extra costs, so if I can buy locally or order from within my own country then I have to choose that route.

But! If I did live in the USA I would definetly order from ProHealth!

Raz
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I guess, we in the US, will have to buy more supplements. I had not though about how much it would cost outside the US.

The US citizens can't use that excuse. My last shipment did have any shipping cost so I stocked up. They do offer free shipment on occasion which is nice but even if they didn't I would purchase here any way.

6. JolieLuLu

JolieLuLu New Member

Sista:) I order everything from ProHealth. It is easy and fast shipping for me.

Keep this post going please.

Love and Light
    Jolie
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

After years of taking various supplements, I have developed an allergy to cellulose. In my case, even a small amount causes a horrible rash on my chest.

Cellulose is a derivative of wood pulp that is used as a filler in many supplements.

Long-term exposure to substances foreign to the body (such as rubber or wood-pulp) makes the development of allergies more likely.

Unfortunately, many of Pro Health supplements include cellulose. I thus cannot use them.

Moreover, I would advise others not to take supplements containing cellulose either. If you develop a cellulose allergy, even a small amount may cause a reaction. This is a problem when supplements that potentially could be very useful (NADH being a prime example) are only formulated with cellulose. Some drugs also have cellulose amongst their ingredients, meaning that individuals who have developed a cellulose allergy over time do not have the option of taking them.

I encourage Pro Health to change their policy and to offer more cellulose-free supplements (and to label on the Web site and in the catalogs the ones that do include cellulose). I would be happy to support the organization's efforts if they do that.
  8. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I support them all the way from south africa! Although I don't buy too much because the shipping is quite expensive, but if I lived in the US I would buy all my stuff from them, the service is really good :)

Phoebe
  9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I appreciate your input and am sorry that you are allergic to cellulose. I am very naive about this subject and cannot discuss it with you on an intellectual basics.

May I ask you a question, is cellulose the filler in most vitamins? What is used in lieu of that filler? In what products other than vitamines is this filler used? Is this a normal reaction to this filler or does it happen too only a few? I do know of a few people that are allergic to dyes in medication and have serious reactions.

Personally I have problems taking many medications now as do many people with our diseases. I do not know why I have the reaction now that I didn't have when I was much healthier. I am careful of where I purchase and what vitamins that I take. I have been pleased with the supplements from ProHealth and have faith that they are trying to give us the best product that they can give us.

As I stated, I am ignorant about this subject and I regret that you can use supplements. Thank you for sharing your reasons for not being able to use these products and I hope you will help me understand this issue.

Wishing you health!
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

I sometimes buy my supplements from Pro Health, but, to be frank, I cannot bear the cost, all the time.

I'm on a protocol given me by my diagnosing Dr.. I spend almost $200.00 monthly at a discount place, (almost 20% of my income, and I still have prescription meds. and medical premiums to pay for) as I take about 17 at each meal. I've tried eliminating some of the supplements, but have found that I can't, not without a worsenng of CFIDS.

So, I buy what I can from Pro Health. I wish I could buy everythng from them, as I really appreciate this message board, but I take a lot of things that they don't offer, and some that they do, are in combnations or strengths that I can't take. I guess you can tell that I feel a bit bad about this.

I try to make up fo this by spreading the word , about about the message board and the products.

Terry
  11. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Yes, I order my Guaifenesin from Prohealth because the profits support CFS/FMS charities in adition to supporting this board.

It takes about 2 weeks to reach me here in the U.K. (yes, Carla, they deliver to Europe) which I think is brilliant service. They've even sent me a free pill holder.

When I'm in permanent accomodation I'm going to set up a repeat order, which works out cheaper.

Hooray for Prohealth!
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I purchase many, many supplements from Pro Health each month. I have no idea of what I spend each month, doesn't really matter when it works, it's worth it.

Hubby and I both take the supplements and wouldn't want to do without them.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  13. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Cellulose is very cheap to make, and so a lot of vitamin companies use it as filler. Rice-based fillers are a common alternative, since few people are allergic to rice. Pure Encapsulations uses some kind of super-purified plant fiber, and I've had no problem with that.

If you go to a health food store and look at the ingredients lists, you'll find a variety of different things listed. The less expensive products often include cellulose, but not always.

Medications sometimes include cellulose too. This is especially true of non-prescription medications. The only pain reliever I've been able to find that does not include it is a particular store brand of aspirin. I hope the store doesn't stop carrying it.

I once told a compounding pharmacy (Hopewell Pharmacy) that I was allergic to cellulose, and they promised they would not use it in the hormone I ordered. After taking the product, I got a horrible rash. I finally got them to reveal that what they had included was "methylcellulose." They insisted this was different and would not refund my money. My prescribing physician didn't doubt any of this information, but he hates getting into arguments with people and I wanted to retain his goodwill, and so I didn't push the matter with him.

I'm sure that the vast majority of the population has no problem with cellulose. What concerns me is that CFS patients---many of whom take a lot of supplements and who develop allergies easily--might be especially likely to develop problems with it.

Also due to my efforts to combat the CFS, I now have a life-threatening latex allergy. Usually only doctors and nurses (who are around latex on a regular basis) have such allergies. In my case, it was brought on after years of using various shots (B12, kutapressin, etc.) that required a needle to be pushed through a sealed rubber stopper in order to draw out the fluid. This allergy is topical (e.g. condoms) but also internal---e.g. one time I breathed in some disintegrated latex and my heart rate went way up, my eyeballs felt like they were on fire, etc. I now carry an epi-pen to stop such potentially fatal reactions from happening, but still am afraid that some doctor is going to operate on me using latex gloves and I'm going to be burned to death (literally, this is what happens) from the inside.

It sounds like maybe I would have been better off if not doing anything to treat my illness, but I disagree. I've tried a huge number of things over the past 11 years, and some of them have been very helpful. I generally function at a 6-7 now (with a short-term crash if I push myself to a 9 or 10 for a couple of days when required). I'd be at about a 3 if I did nothing except try to rest and avoid stress, I think. Certainly I wouldn't want to give up supplements, but I wish I had known upfront that the cellulose issue could be a problem so that I wouldn't have taken the chance of not avoiding it upfront..
  14. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

ARE YOU BUYING YOUR SUPPLEMENTS FROM PRO HEALTH? If Not ,Why?

$$$, that's why. I can't afford them.

I'm sorry, but I have to go where I can afford the prices.
    Lea.
  15. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I do understand about the costs, but this is one instance where you get what you pay for.

The vitamins and supplements they sell here do make a difference in my health, my husband's health and that's why I'll pay the price for them. I've also just put my daughter on the Fibro Complete Multi w/Malic Acid too.

Just as an example, the Fibro Complete with Malic Acid made a huge difference in my life and I've been in a bedbound/housebound flare for the past 2 years. I felt a difference the first day I took it.

With this one vitamin, I was able to throw away many individual supplements because they are all contained within it. That made it well worth the price.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  16. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I get whatever supplements I can from ProHealth. I have been very happy with everything I have gotten from them. I know the latest best products will always be there. Thank you ProHealth.
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

At ProHealth is excellent. Not all supplements are created equally. I have been very pleased with what I buy here and the customer service is excellent too.

Love, Mikie
  18. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi 1sweetie - I have not ordered any supplements from Prohealth only because I don't know what to buy first.

Can anyone recommend what supplement would be a good one to start with.

It's a great article.....everyone should read it.

Thanks in Advance.

carolin
  19. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

the magnesium triggers my IBS C&D. I did try the one that is less likely to do that, but still had the problem & the other factor is the $$ also. We're almost on the poverty level line, so paying for supplements at that cost is over the top for me.

We are retired, BUT not wealthy retired..No travelling, parties, going out to eat, going to plays, anything that costs much $$, we can't do. We can afford to take a drive once in awhile & visit relatives that are out of our area, but that's about all. Not everyone has $$$$..

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy w/my life, as I'm not healthy enough to do the above anyway.. People tend to not mention that they're going south for the winter, 'cause of our circumstances, but doesn't bother us. We are happy & content w/ our lives. I'm sure they think we are envious. I just wish we (hubby & I) could afford to make ourselves more healthy. Other then that...

Anyway that's the reason.....
    Blessings;
    Fifth
  20. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I just changed the title of this thread. The last part of if did say "If Not, Why?".

I hope I did not offend anyone because you do not have the financial ability to purchase supplements. My intention was to ask the people that do buy supplements why they do not buy them here.

I am sure there are some supplements that are offered at other places for cheaper prices but I trust ProHealth to provide me with the best supplement possible.

There have been so many studies done where the supplements that people purchased had very little to none of the ingredients that were suppose to be in the supplement and also in the reverse where there was more ingredients than we thought we were taking. This is one of the reasons that the use of supplements "have come under fire". There is no set standard that the companies have to follow in the US. They are not regulated yet. All supplements are not created equally.

ProHealth is trying to provide us the best products available. I trust them to do that.

What I was trying to say is:

If you are able to take supplements and that supplement is available here, we should support ProHealth. They certainly have supported us. Not only do they allow us to contribute part of their profit, they provide us with the message board, chat room, email newsletters, catalogs with lots of valuable information, and a library with thousands of articles that we can use for research.

I hope this clarifies what I wanted to say. I would never mean to hurt someones feelings because of lack of funds or suggest that someone take anything that does not agree with them. I regret that everyone does not have the financial or personal means to take supplements, medications, or do anything else that would help them feel better.