Are you in a good relationship?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roadkill, Aug 4, 2006.

1. roadkill

roadkill New Member

Since I left my abusive relationship I am in a much better situation. I am spoiled rotten by my room mates. I didn't know I could be so lucky.

What are the things that your partners do to make your lives great ?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/04/2006]
  2. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Ohhhh, it's just wonderful. They are glad to see me return if I've been away from home, every time they look at me I see trust and love in their eyes, they are quiet when I need to rest.
    But I have to clean their sandboxes, lol.
    'Scuse me, I just had to give myself a little fun here.
    Lea.
  3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I am very lucky to have a wonderful husband .Do not settle for less in any relationship .You deserve to be loved by people who are good for you.

I am glad your roomates are good to you.Lifes short, fill yours with good kind people.

That's the best medicine you can give yourself when you have this DD. Surround yourself with good careing people. And do not let negative people around you.

I think the best thing my husband does is treat me like his equal .He is much more educated then I am but he never makes me feel dumb . I enjoy talking to him about everything in our lifes.
  4. singingirl

singingirl New Member

Roadkill, I can realate to you. I was in a very abusive marriage. I have had my nose broken, knives to my throat and guns to my head. I finally left the jerk when my baby was 3. We have been with my husband now since she was 4, and she will be 17 in a couple of months.

My husband is very understanding about my condition. I thank God that you got out of the relationship you were in.
    God truly blessed me and my daughter with my husband.
  5. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

My DH does dishes, will do laundry, and other things around the house to help me out, sometimes I have to ask, but he'll do it.

He bought me a swivel top bar stool this weekend so I can "sit" if I need to while cooking.

6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

of 23+ years learned up on FM, found me this message board at a time when I didn't even know what message boards were, and went out and bought me my first & best FM book, Dr. Devin Starlanyl's "The Fibromyalgia Advocate".

Now that I'm doing great FM-wise, but have leukemia, he's been my rock. He's made himself a leukemia expert to the point where my doctors believe he's the most knowledgeable non-medical person they've ever met. He does what I can't do---as the patient, I want & need to learn a certain amount, too, but my self-protection instinct kicks in and I insulate myself from some of the harder facts. I think that's only natural, but luckily I have my husband to read up on the latest in treatments, clinical trials, etc. and he's never missed a doctor visit, a blood or platelet transfusion, a trip to the lab for bloodwork---and I might as well live there, I'm there so much.

Leukemia sucks big-time, but my relationship is better than ever. Maybe a blessing of some kind in disguise...

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Me and my bf of 7 years have the most wonderful relationship. We met when I was 17 and started going out at 18.

I am truly blessed to have him in my life.

We have stuck with each other through thick and thin. He has supported me throughout this DD. And I have been there for him when he got cancer. I wouldnt have it anyother way.

He is very understanding when I am having a bad day. We have had to cancel plans. He'll do the housework if I am unable to.

I wish that everyone on this board could find the kind of love and companionship that I have found with my dear boyfriend.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  8. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

Here we are and we sare still together. There have been some very good times, some very rough times with disagreements and his many, many il;lnesses.

he can't do much for me except drive me places. that's OK.

we have 9 grandchildren and 1 great and i count our blessings.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Joan
  9. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

The best thing that my husband does is he prays for me and is there for me when I need him. When we were at church Sunday and he was requesting prayer for me, he actually cried when he told the church how it hurt him to look at me and see my lips so blue and how exhausted I get and how I can hardly breath at times.

This is my second marriage. My first husband was very abusive to me and it amazes me that there are GOOD Men in this world and that I am actually LOVED by one of the best.

10. dononagin

dononagin New Member

The year before I got sick..
    He has stuck by me through a year of being bed-ridden.. now though I work full time, he sticks by me when I'm too tired to cook or clean.. He has never judged me for what I can or can't do.. He understands when I forget words.. when I can't make sense of the checkbook..
    We are getting married August 26! Only a few weeks from now! After 11 years..
    I have always told him I feel like he got jipped because I don't have the energy I did when we met. He tells me he doesn't either! He is my rock.. I am so grateful to have him in my life.
    Now, I also had an abusive marraige. Took me 15 years to get out. Thank God for second chances. Joe is as gentle as my ex was abusive.
  11. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

Just want to wish you the best. Hope you have a wonderful day!!!

P.S. My abusive relationship lasted 14 years.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/07/2006]
  12. ABCDfamily

ABCDfamily New Member

I feel ill on my honeymoon this past May. I think I am in a good relationship although things have been rocky. What a way to start a Marriage :)
  13. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

my husband is the best i could have ever dreamed of. he truly takes care of me. since i do continue to work and he works out of our home (he's a musician) we need my income.

to make things as easy a possible for me he cleans, cooks does the grocery shopping. he also keeps track of my meds for me. he can tell if i'm starting to hurt and remind me to take pain meds. he also can tell when i'm getting to anxious and reminds me to take a xanax even befor i think of it. when i was having a really bad time several years ago he even put all my meds in a pill organizer each week so i wouldn't miss any.

i don't know what i would do without this man. he is the love of my life and the rock for me to lean on.

rachel
  14. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

and noone wants to date me.So I don't have to worry about it.
  15. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

but we have been together for 33 years. It's a lonely existence. I have learned to be very independent, though we share the same house.
  16. Lalania1970

Lalania1970 New Member

I had been in 4 abusive relationships through the years physical and mental and I went through alot of hrs of counseling to understand myself. I found a wonderful man on the internet (hehehehe and I used to laugh when people told me they internet dated) He has been wonderful understanding and supportive. I have one child which has been through fibro and bk problems with me and has been awesome for a little guy. He is now 12 but still has a heart of gold. Duane has 3 kids so now I have 4 which they are all understanding and loving. The oldest 17 really helps out alot as Duane sleeps through the day and there are days I cant get up. so he takes over and cooks for the 3 younger and helps around the house. There are people out there (I have found this out finally) that are loving, understanding and supportive of the pain in this world wheither it be fibro or anything else. You just got to find the right one.
  17. kriket

kriket New Member

I waited and waited until the right one came along w/o a question. He is 12 yrs. older than me. He was raised by mostly all women so they taught him how to treat a lady. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me. He is always willing to listen, we communicate well, and he just recently started helping me with cleaning the house. We have been together for 5 yrs. and are about to get married. I would not trade him for anything or anybody in this whole wide world.

Kriket
  18. azcactuslil

azcactuslil New Member

We will be married 34 years on the 25th. I just recently have had to quit working. He has been great about it and is very protective of me. Never makes me feel like I have let us down or made a hardship on him.
  19. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

My previous relationship was very stressful..therefore, I was constantly in pain, tired, etc. Last June I left him. A few days later my High School Boyfriend contacted me through classmates.com. We had a phone/email relationship for a year. At the time he contacted me he was married. We kept it on a friendly basis. In October, his wife started questioning how she felt about him. By Feb. she filed for divorce. I was living with my daughter. I really didn't say much to her about all of this. One day, out of the blue, she says.."Mom, how would you like to move to Indianapolis"? That is where he lived!! I told her whereever she wanted to go was fine. We haven't moved yet. But!! He came here to visit a month after his divorce was final.It had been 39 years since we saw one another. And, he treated me as no other man has ever treated me. He accepts the fibro, he kept telling me how beautiful I was (I know better, ha). It couldn't have been a more magical time for us. He has another visit planned for October. In the meantime, my daughter goes to the Nascar races in Indy..he got her tickets. She was offered suite tickets and was offered 2 jobs in Indy!! She and I knew we were moving there next June but now it will be in February. The most amazing thing of it all is that he and I didn't plan any of this (except his recent and next visit). The road to one another was cleared without any intent from us!! I feel wonderful. The pain has melted away. The tiredness has gone. I still feel the fibro on hot, hot days. I still feel it if I have to walk any distances. But, the everyday wandering pain to different parts of my body is basically gone. That is the power of stress.

Neeter1