are you in bed with laptop?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by homesheba, Sep 27, 2008.

1. homesheba

homesheba New Member

i am finding it difficult
    to be up sitting at regular computer
    to post
    and since im in bed more and more,
    i wonder if i should go ahead and use a laptop?.
    is that what you all use?
    i dont know much about them
    but i dont want to be without you guys either....
    if it finally does come
    to where i cant sit and type here at desk....
  2. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

My laptop never leaves my bed. A couple of pillows on my legs and I can sit and feel productive. It has been a great investment. And a lot of fun!
  3. Atlanta8

Atlanta8 New Member

I would definately recommend one. They are brilliant. I can sit up and use it, or put it next to me on the bed and lie down and just click my time away. It's a lifesaver as I'm not really able to sit at the computer for more than a few minutes.

I would recommend getting a laptop cooler though. If you put it on the bed they tend to get hot as the air can't circulate. this is the one I have. It's very quiet.
  4. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i couldnt be online with out it i cant sit form more than a few min so i put a pillow on my legs to prop it up
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm not in bed, but I'm on my couch with my laptop. It sits on my coffee table and I pull it on my lap whenever I need it.
    It was the best investment I ever made. I would feel very isolated if I had to sit upstairs in the office where our main PC is.

I think my son thinks it's attached to my legs.
  6. ChyC

ChyC New Member

You can use them anywhere. I love mine when I am feeling up to using it. I get a lot of head fog when on for too long but find that my laptop is better for me than he desktop.

7. 3gs

3gs New Member

I just got my laptop one week ago after having a desk top.

Best decision I made! You can move around sit or lay down.
    Also got a holder for mine from qvc it also can be a book holder and stores things underneath and angles five different ways.

You would love laptop
  8. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

I sat at a desk most of my day when I worked and then once I was at home I always used a lap top. Now that I don't work and I'm in my chair all day, I can write, blog, do my banking, play games etc. I'm with my husband and can watch tv while typing away and don't have to sit at a desk.

I love it.

9. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I live in a bachelor (studio) apt. so my bedroom is my living room and my couch is my bed.

I have a laptop and a lapdesk (iLap) which I think is invaluable!

10. thecatswhiskers

thecatswhiskers New Member

I have a tablet PC .... easiet for me than a mouse! :eek:) changed my life!
  11. simonedb

simonedb Member

I just got my first laptop and first mac in May and i have been able to do way more research because I do lie on the couch with it on a pillow on my stomach, it doesnt get too hot and I am hoping the pillow is protecting me from whatever rays.....thats the only thing I don't know about is if I am getting more exposure now to something from having it so near me so often.....anyone know if that could be an issue?
    (I use an earpiece with my cellphone)
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Don't laugh, but I do business all the time from bed using my laptop and phone.... I can just imagine if anyone on the other end could see me.

Back in 1996 I started a business and had a office set up in the bedroom. I would sit up at the desk but when I was hurting, I put on the heating pad and moved to the bed with a laptop.

13. moreinfoplease

moreinfoplease New Member

Interesting thread.

I keep thinking how much more I could get done on the computer if I had a lap top.

Money is very tight right now though.

I thought some of you might have recommendations for the best inexpensive lap tops.

It would be helpful info for me, and I am sure others too.
  14. ruhig

ruhig New Member

I am in bed or on the sofa or on the porch. It has been a saving grace for me, much better than cable television.

As for what type of laptop, I have a dell inspiron. My last laptop was an IBM, very expensive, worked well for 2 and half years and then not well for another year.

This laptop was a lot less expensive, less than a third of the price of the IBM and I am happily going into year two.

I was told by my son that laptops just don't have the same life span as a desk top, and that 3 or 4 years use is pretty good.

Good luck,

[This Message was Edited on 09/28/2008]
  15. jmq

jmq New Member

I do not know what I would do without my laptop. My dh found a really cool bed table in the Bed, Bath and Beyond Store so I do not even have to use a cooling pad or pillows under it. The table even has a small nite light thingy on it so I can put the light on the keys if I stay up late.

Just keep checking sales....sometimes you can find them under $400.00. Mine is an HP and has been good to me.

16. tigercat411

tigercat411 New Member

We got a laptop for my hubby from a pawn shop for a reasonable amount - and we could make payments- for anyone needing a laptop and on a tight budget- this may be an option. Just take someone with you who knows about laptops and computers, so as not to get ripped off.
    HUGS Tigercat
  17. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I am either in a lazyboy with my feet up, on the couch or in bed but always with my laptop. It is one of the best things I ever bought. I could not live happily without mine now.
  18. homesheba

homesheba New Member

i will for sure then get one going.
    i just hope
    i wont have any trouble getting used to it
    since i now have trouble
    figuring stuff out now a days
    it seems.
    but im glad you all helped me
    with this decision!!:)
  19. Juloo

Juloo Member

My personal home computer hasn't been a desktop for about seven years. I'm not in bed for CFS on a regular basis, but when I have to be bedbound for whatever reason, my laptop's gotta be there, too.

Something you might think about is that if you have more than one place that you would regularly use it (like, a desk, and your bed), consider getting more than one power cord. I have two -- one is all set up and looped around the back of my desk so that all I have to do is plug it in when I dock my laptop at my desk to pay bills, do work, etc. The other cord is either plugged in to the power strip under my bed or in the living room by my chair.

I heartily agree with Atlanta8 above about getting a cooling appliance. Mine has helped. And either use that alone for a hard surface, or get a hard-topped cushion, like Rafiki mentioned, for setting the laptop and cooler on in bed. I have a little clip-on LED light like jmq mentioned, also.

Now I just wish someone would make a laptop that has a HANDLE on it. What is UP with that!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2008]
  20. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

end up bedbound, I would sell blood till I could get one. This board is so important for me. It is weird, we never have met face to face but I think of everyone as friends here. My home away from home. Thank you everyone for being here.